KL Langkawi and Borneo - advice needed

Jun 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

KL Langkawi and Borneo - advice needed

Hi All

i'm trying to figure out a possible itinery for a trip to malaysia...this is what i have so far...
Fly to Kl then on to borneo and stay at the shangri la Rasa Ria for 7 nights. then onto Langkawi at the Sheraton Perdana for 5 nights then back to Kuala Lumpur for 3 nights at the Pan Pacific hotel...

Anyone stayed at any of the hotels? are they any good? are there better options you can suggest? Also any tips on the eating/drinking out front as all of the accomodation is room only? If you have any suggestions for sights to see etc theyd also be gratefully recieved.

Hoping to book this over the next week but want some feedback on the hotels if poss and if the time i've alocated is appropriate for each stop.

Thanks

Laney
Jun 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

ooh forgot to say we're going hopefully in november...what are the rains like? is it horrendous or just overnight heavy rains?

thanks!
Jun 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM

There are 2 Sheratons on Langkawi, some like the Perdana others like the Beach resort, I prefer the beach one but it's down to choice. Worth checking out which one you would prefer. Another great beach resort on Langkawi if you are not talking top deluxe is the Pelangi Beach Resort, reaosnable price and very nice long beach area.
Jun 19th, 2005, 03:33 PM

I'm headed to Malaysian Borneo in November as well. I notice the only place you plan to visit is the Shangri-La Rasa Ria. Note that this is a long way outside of KK, and you'll pretty much be captive to the resort. The other Shangri-La is closer to KK and you can get into KK for shopping or dinner or whatever pretty easily.
Jun 19th, 2005, 03:46 PM

PS I assume you already know that it will be rainy season in Borneo.
Jun 20th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

i knew it was rainy-ish but wasnt sure how bad...the travel agent said it might rain over night or for an hour very heavily during the day but thats about it....is it rainy in langkawi/KL?
Jun 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM

I've stayed at the Sheraton Perdana in 2001 and the Rasa Ria last year and both are great hotels.

Don't be put off by the fact that there are 2 Sheratons on Langkawi and only one is called "Beach". The Perdana has a good beach and is also close to Kuah Town for trips out. There are some good seafood restaurants in Kuah and don't miss out on the night market and hawker stalls. It's well worth hiring a car for a few days to explore the island and the driving's easy. We were on Langkawi for 12 nights and didn't get bored at all.

The Rasa Ria is miles from anywhere, but has some excellent (and reasonably priced)restaurants on-site and for us it was worth the inconvenience of being a bit remote for the sake of its fabulous beach and nature centre - be sure to visit the orangutans at least once while you're there. Our two favourite trips were to the Klias wetlands and an island hopping trip to Gaya and Sapi islands in the T A R marine park. We stayed at the RR for 11 nights and could have stayed longer, there's so much to see and do in Borneo.

I don't know where the Pan Pacific is, but KL's pretty easy to get around by public transport. Taxis are cheap too, but it takes forever to get anywhere with the traffic. A trip up the KL Tower is a definite must-do, but if you want to eat in the restaurant, make sure you book in advance. We stayed in KL for 5 nights, but would have been happy with 4.
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Pan Pacific is not in the centre of the city and not near to the Petronas tower. However, there is a light rail transit station nearby to take you there (but I think you may have to change trains..)
If you're looking for something more central, look for hotels that are located on the Jalan Sultan Ismail or Bukit Bintang areas.