Kids and shorts in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a mere five days away from our departure to THailand and this has been the best resource. Many thanks to so many of you who share your travel reports and expertise!

We will be in Bangkok, Kanchanaburi and Chiang Mai. Will the kiddos be okay in shorts and t-shirts? We want to stay respectful of the culture and tend to dress up rather than down when travelling. Children's ages are 2, 4, 6, 8, 8, 11, and 14.

Many thanks!

Mary
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:41 PM

Well, I don't have the answer to your question, but I do hope you return the favor by posting a trip report when you return if you can find the time. A report on a trip in SE Asia with 7 kids would be a worthy addition to the many entertaining reports that have been posted here over the years.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:43 PM

Well why wouldn't your kids be OK in shorts & Ts? What's the alternative - tuxedos & ballgowns?
Thai kids run around in shorts & Ts all the time, Thai schoolboys wear shorts to school, Thai teenagers wear jeans & Ts.
The only time this may be an issue is with some of the major BKK temples and perhaps some of the upmarket restaurants, otherwise dress for comfort.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:09 PM

Short answer...yes.

Longer answer...our daughter went to Thailand at 3, 4, 5 and 8 years old, and was fine in shorts/t-shirts most of the time. She actually prefers the little dresses you can get on the street for a bit of change and we buy her some as soon as we get there.

For temples, we put a t-shirt on her and sneakers. Otherwise, sandals and the little dresses/skirts and tops.

Important...comfortable shoes.

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. As for the rest...

Well, I have to admit I was sorely tempted to put all of them in mini-ball gowns but I figured the boys might object!

Actually, we spent significant time in Europe and I was somewhat embarrassed by the tawdry dress of many Americans, even in places like the Vatican. So, we dressed up and not down, blended and didn't stick out like sore thumbs. Since I don't have the knowledge so many of you have--ie Thai teens run around in tshirts and jeans--I thought it best to simply ask.

And yes, I will post a travel report. Travelling with children is a wonderful thing, something I have done since mine were very small. As a result, history classes and geography classes mean so much more to them, even if I would never claim they have even a superficial cosmopolitan polish. They are used to sleeping while in transit and able to put on their respectful attitudes so well that in France I received compliments regarding their manners. Yep, it was one proud Mommy moment. In any case, I want other parents to take on the challenge.

Again, many thanks!! We leave Thursday and I am packing us today.

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:28 AM

Have a great time. Aren't kids usually short?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM

Absolutely no problem at all ! Total normal wear.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:49 AM

You can but lots of clothing localy too, in the malls you can find USD 1.00-2.50 for t-shirts, a few bucks for sandals, clothing is cheap.
Footwear though is important, make sure you all wear well worn-in foootwear, don't buy new for travel, or if you do buy well before trip and get that footwear well and truly worn-in!
For yourselves casual smart is always fine, and don't get put off by thinking shorts are out, they are certainly 'not', when at home or traveling and vacation many Thais wear shorts, especialy in the under 40's group, but you can buy real nice and stylish quality stuff in the malls, it is only visiting places such as Grand Palace where this doesn't apply.