Search

KHAJURAHO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KHAJURAHO

How much time should be spent in Khajuraho? Is it a one day trip or do we need several days there?
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM

One night at most and that depends on when you arrive and whether or not you want to do the light show. The Eastern temples, as I recall, are Jain in origin and aren't erotic. You can see those in a couple of hours. The western temples are Hindu and have some erotic carvings (perhaps 10-15%). They will take more time if you examine the carvings carefully.

The important part about these temples is that they were not defaced by subsequent Moghul invaders who routinely decapitated and otherwise defaced the Jain/Hindu carvings which they considered blasphemous.

You can rent an electronic guided tour for the western temples, so you don't need to hire a guide unless you wish.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

indianapearl - do you think this site is worth going to and is the light show worthwhile or are there other sites similar which are not so isolated?
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM

There is a functioning Hindu temple just outside the gate of Khajaraho that I found interesting. We spent 5 hours viewing the carvings at K. You can do it easily with a guidebook for the historical perspective.. The carvings themselves do not need interpretation by a guide.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM

There are several temple complexes in Khajuraho. The most important is the western complex & central to this group is the Kendariya Mahadeva temple. The other groups ie the Eastern & southern, are in varying degrees of preservation & importance.
The western group can be done easily in about half a day's sightseeing.
A night's stay is normally fine. But incase you are travelling between 25 February to 4 March?? you may stay for a couple of nights as the Khajuraho Dance festival is held annually in the backdrop of these temples.
These temples are unique in the sense that it is here, according to one school of thought, that the then prevalent modes of Hindu mystic thought of salvation, through Tantric esoteric sensual vehicle of release, are on display.
And yes, these will be a topic of discussion for many a night backhome, as you sit for a drink, by your fireplace!!!
Enjoy your travels!
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed the light show - the temples gradually appear around you. I think I spent two nights, but I was traveling fairly slowly. Try to get away from the "tourist" village to the old one - it's very quiet out in the countryside.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:11 AM

I think it's worth the effort because the carvings are intact. Most other sites have been defaced. There supposedly are other temples in south India that are as good or better, but we didn't go in that direction.

Here's a website that explains Hindu temple construction: boloji.com
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We will definitely put Khajuraho on our tour schedule. Thursday - thanks for the heads up about the light show and the old village.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Here are some details on Khajuraho
1. To visit western group of Hotels, it will take 2 - 3 hours
2. 2 hours for eastern group of hotels
3. Chaturbhuja temple - half hour
4. Also visit Archeological museum and tribal museum - budget 2 hours for the same

Sound and light show held in the Western group precincts and starts at 7 PM. It is quite good

You need to spend only one night at Khajuraho. 2 will make it better. Depending on your budget, there are several hotels to choose from at Khajuraho
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 03:22 AM

I think one day will be sufficient, but I did not see the sound and light show...
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Definately it will take one full day as Khajuraho is a absolutely amazing place to visit & to explore all the Temples easily with giving good time at each Temple.