Katathani Thani Resort & Spa

Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Katathani Thani Resort & Spa

Ok...I think that the Katathani Thani Resort & Spa is in the lead for our Honeymoon destination. For those of you that have stayed there...what did you think? How were the rooms, resturants, bars, and location of the resort? Overall experience?? Thank you.
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM

I will reply on this thread, good idea to make one specific.
Kata has quite a range of restaurants from cheap local places where you have a drink and some rice or noodles up to very classy places like the Boathouse. You will also find local convenience and souvenir stores, the tailors etc.
For busy street markets and other shopping plus large bars, clubs, discos, shows etc then Patong Beach is about 20 minutes by tuk-tuk or taxi.
For mall type shopping these are in the center of the island, again about 20 minutes away by tuk-tuk or taxi. Phuket Town can be reached from Kata by open sided bus which is great fun and takes a fairly scenic route deading across the southern part of the island and then turning north into Phuket Town. Phuket town is not that exciting but it has some amazing Sino-Portuguese architecture if you are into that.
In resort/hotel prices are 'always' over what you pay outside, and it seems almost 4/5 star places add 17% tax and service even to drinks/ I guess you will have breakfast included. You will find in a hote climate a light lunch is best, nothing heavy, just a light snack. I should think most nights you would want to venture out for dinner. If you go into Patong and find it 'too much' then you can go into Karon Beach for an evening which is between Kata and Patong. Just before the Hilton Arcadia is Old Siam Restaurant which has Thai classic music and very romantic dining overlooking the coast. Up from Karon Circle anout 200 metres on left is Red Onion, open air excellent Thai food, absolute bargain, gets very busy, nice food friendly service.

I am sure many others will come in on Kata as I know many have stayed. I am sure the Boathouse would be nice for dinner one night at least.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JamesA! Has anyone else stayed at this resort? Any reccomedations for Kata?
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:11 PM

Hi sdptagirl,
Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenage children) stayed at the Kata Bhuri Resort for 4 nights in Dec. 2004. If you've been researching the Katathani, you will know that the Bhuri is the newer addition to the same resort complex but located across the road. Both are located in Kata Noi beach (meaning little Kata) as opposed to Kata Yai (big Kata) which is over the hill and further north. We went to several beaches while on Phuket and thought Kata Noi was one of the prettiest. Beautiful white sand, aquamarine coloured water and definitely more quiet than many others we visited. There is also fairly good snorkelling at the south end of the beach. We had a family package rate at Kata Bhuri which included 2 dinners at the Bhuri Terrace - a BBQ buffet style dinner with nightly entertainment which we really enjoyed. The buffet breakfasts (included in our package) and served at the Seaview Restaurant were also very good (lots of choice, freshly prepared food, very friendly staff.) Other than those meals, we didn't eat at the resort as the meal prices were fairly high.

We took James A.'s advice one night and went by tuktuk to the Old Siam Restaurant at Karon Beach. Try to go a bit early so you can enjoy the view before the sun sets. A delicious Thai buffet was on the night we went there and they had Thai dancers as well. I think on other nights you can order off the menu but you might want to phone them in advance and ask about this. We also walked to the Boathouse Restaurant one night from Kata Bhuri. It was a great meal in a fantastic setting (not cheap either). There are a few other restaurants along the road in Kata Noi but we didn't try these. Kata Yai has more in the way of shopping and more restaurants. We did walk to Kata Yai from Kata Noi one afternoon and it wasn't all that far but it was a "hot" walk - lots of uphill going, easier coming back. As James A., points out, it is also close enough to Patong that you can easily take a tuktuk or cab to get there. We rode the local bus once as well into Karon. This was about the cheapest way to get around but it only runs until about 6:00pm.

We didn't try the spa at the Katathani as we'd just come from a Balinese resort where we'd had several massages so I can't comment on the spa. The restaurants would probably be similar on the Katathani side to the Bhuri. We preferred the pool on the Bhuri side as it is bigger and newer than the ones on the Thani side and our kids enjoyed the waterfalls and jets in the new pool. The ones on the Katathani side had the advantage of the ocean view which is very nice as well. All pools, bars, restaurants that are in the complex are accessible to ALL patrons so if you don't like one, it's easy to find another. We bought things like beer, pop and water at the local mini-mart (just down the road from the resort) and had our laundry done there as well. The rooms on the Bhuri side are new, large and very well serviced. We looked in some on the Katathani side and they looked very nice as well, ones on higher floors would have better views. As you probably know, the Katathani received some damage in the recent tsunami but I believe that repairs there are well underway and should certainly be complete by the time you go in November.

The resort posts some good package deals on their website in mid to late October which you might want to check out (our package was a much better deal for us than their regular room rates.) As you are on your honeymoon, they should be able to offer you something special. Keep in mind that the Katathani Resort is big (over 450 rooms altogether including the Bhuri side) so it may not be as quite as intimate for "honeymooners" as some smaller resorts. But the resort is very spread out and never appears crowded. For a gentle swimming beach with beautiful sand, it's hard to beat Kata Noi.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:18 PM

BAcanuck has reminded me about Old Siam, what we often did there and other places, especially if a group of us, was to order a large number of 'Starters' and then add Boiled Rice and Fried Rice.

If you want a nice varied meal you can often go for 5 or 6 starters ( or even more )plus rice and the bill comes way less than main courses, naturally this doesn't suit everyone or even 'us' if going for a full blown meal, but if you want to try lots of different things the price for starters can be a great deal less than main dishes, and it is a cheap and great way to sample a large number of different things. I think it's like what you can do in Greece too, forget what they call it.

Boiled Rice and Fried rice tends to be cheap in all restaurants, add that bto a lot of 'starters' and you get a big meal!
Feb 26th, 2005, 08:56 AM

ttt for Clark55
Mar 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM

My husband and I enjoyed 8 nights at the Kata Thani Resort the end of Jan this year and loved it. Our room was a junior suite overlooking the ocean and pool area and had a beautiful balcony. The room was large with a table, sofa and open bedroom with king bed and huge bathroom with large shower and tub. The staff was very friendly and it was clean, comfy, and the perfect location. Breakfast comes with the room but we found the food although good was better in Kata town. For lunch we'd walk down the beach to a great little beachfront resturant. To get to town is easy with the truck taxis. May I recommend a fabulous place "the European Deli" opposite from the place where the elephants are fed at night (i think it's a flintstones theme) This place is on the main road and the chef is awesome. The best seared tuna I've had anywhere. The Kata Thani is a very quiet and relaxing place and the beach is the best. Happy Homeymoon!
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for you reassuring email! We are so excited to go! Any other recommendations for this area? Things to do, other restaurants or bars? Thanks again to all.

Mar 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM

ttt for sfbutlers
Mar 30th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else....
Mar 31st, 2005, 03:28 AM

James mentioned Mom Tri's Boathouse as a dining option. I've stayed and dined there on several occasions and, yes, it is an excellent choice for an evening meal, at least once while you are there. Keep in mind, there are TWO Boathouse options.

The main property on the beach is the "Boathouse" with its grill restaurant (reservations recommended). There is also the Villa Royale property, which is up the hill on a rocky outcropping overlooking Kata Noi beach. They will probably take you there from the Boathouse via a van or car..?.. The restaurant there is called Mom Tri's Kitchen. It is much smaller, an outside dining option, with about 3-4 selections each day on the menu that are very very fresh. Mom Tri's Kitchen is also a WONDERFUL choice for an evening meal. I think you would be impressed by the peace and quiet just "up the hill"!!

I've stayed at the Villa Royale and dined at Mom Tri's Kitchen a couple of times and think it is the most beautiful and peaceful property on Phuket!! IMO

Enjoy your honeymoon!
Carol
Mar 31st, 2005, 07:15 AM

unsure of when your honeymoon is, but directrooms.com had some fabulous deals for katathani resort and spa (better than any other website i could find) for the junior suites.
Mar 31st, 2005, 08:56 AM

We've covered the Boathouse, I also added Old Siam on the main Karon road, coming from Kata Beach over the hill on your right before the Hilton Arcadia. Also up from Karon Circle about 150-200 metres/yeards on left is 'Red Onion", it gets packed because the Thai food is really superb. Their Massaman Curry has been discussed world wide(!!) Also try the Duck, great and friendly service.
Don't miss Simon Cabarat, on the way into Patong past the Meridien, they will book you at the tour desk, pick you up, bring you back, take your camera. If you have photo with performers tip B 50 ($1.25) each, is standard.
Many rave about Baan Rim Pa on the ridge at north end of Patong but I personaly found it so overpriced.
Mar 31st, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I looked at hotelsdirect.com and they really do have the best deals I have seen. We are going in November so they do not have those rates posted yet. I emailed hotels direct asking for more information. I am going to start a new thread asking if anyone has dealt with them and what their experience was.
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:21 PM

The people I use also only showing rates until end Oct, this is no doubt due to many of them waiiting before deciding how to structure their rates for the high season. The people I use offer B 3,050 (USD 77) including tax/service/breakfast for normal Superior room. I always stick with the same Thai operator who links thru the Sawadee system which is the most famous here.
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi JamesA. Do you have the contact information for the Thai operator you use? Thanks. Also do you know when the hotels have their rates for November by?
Mar 31st, 2005, 01:50 PM

You can go thru huahin.20m.com which quite a few of us here us but you can also access those rates on this site, also you get lots of pics of the places, you cn always put in a request for the time, no c/card necessary and see if they can come back with a rate for you, costs nothing!

www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com

Click on Kata Thani
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

hotelsdirect.com and www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com will not have rates for our November 2005 trip until September 2005. I am not sure if I feel comfortable waiting that long to book our hotels.
Jun 28th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Kata Thani and Buri all up and running and new rates into 2006, also new photos, I know this might be of interest to those planning to stay

http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...hani/pictures/
Jun 28th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Buri re-opens Nov 01 but showing rates all through to Oct 2006 now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO