Just back from Borneo - WOW! What an experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to share a unique experience. My husband and I are animal lovers and try to see a different animal in the wild every time we travel. This time we took an OFI (Orangutan Foundation International) sponsored trip to see not only wild but ex-captive (ie rescued) and baby orangutan.
It was such an incredible experience. We got to meet and spend time with Birute Galdikas (the "Jane Goodall of orangutan&quot, attend feedings with huge cheekpadded males, have wonderful interaction with the ex-captives who are very intelligent, gentle and playful at Camp Leakey, and best of all we got to visit the care center when they house and rehabiliate the orphan babies. Actually not only did we visit but we got to hold the babies. What a magical surreal experience.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:54 AM

I'm planning a trip to Malaysian Borneo in November. Can you tell me exactly where you went and where you stayed? We're looking at the Borneo Rainforest Lodge in the Danum Valley.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 05:56 PM

I feel as though I am butting into this conversation, but since there has been no reply to Kathie's question in twenty-four hours, I'll volunteer the information I have. LynneB went to the national park at Tanjung Puting in South Kalimantan (the southern half of Borneo), Indonesia. The largest jumping off town is Banjarmasin, which, I believe, is still connected by air to Surabaya, Java. When I visited Camp Leakey ten years ago, I flew from Balikpapan to Banjarmasin, made arrangements with a local travel agent, flew to the little town nearest the park, and met the guide. We rented a boat that looked like the African Queen and set off down the broad river to a small tributary and went up into the park. My experience was similar to Lynne B's---it has been one of the most meaningful and memorable experiences of my life. I would love to return and to spend longer. By the way, a fascinating book is Ms. Galdikas' autobiography. There are things in it that stretch the imagination. ZZ
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 06:56 PM

Thanks, ZZ, I don't consider you to be intruding at all. I'm still in the process of firming up my plans for Malaysian Borneo.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry that it took me so long to reply. We came from New York and flew into Singapore. We styaed there at the Shangri-La (amazing hotel) for 3 days just to acclimate to the time change. Then we flew to Semarang, Indonesia (had to spend a night there because of flight times) then onto Pangkalan Bun. From there we took a klotok boat down the river, about an hour to the Rimba Lodge. We stayed at the lovely and rustic Rimba and "commuted" to Camp Leakey, which is about an hour by klotok (much shorter by speed boat).
It is a little arduous to get there, but well worth the trip.
Two things that made the OFI sponsored trip even more special was the access to Dr. Galdikas and the visit to the care center. Both are only possible with this tour.
And, yes the book is wonderful.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM

Thanks for your response. It soiunds like you were only on the Indonesian side of Borneo, not on the Malaysian side.

I'm sure it was an amazing experience!