Just back from 21 days in China

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned last week from a 21 day trip to China with Ritz Tours. Great trip - glad I went. Great people and fantastic sights and scenery. I just wanted to tell any on you going that you can definitely wear your sandals and not worry. I took tennis shoes because of all the posts warning that you couldn't/shouldn't wear sandals. I took my Columbia sandals and wore them every day - never put the tennis shoes on -not even to climb the great wall. We went to Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Gulin and did a 3 day river cruise on the Yangtzee with Victoria Cruises on the new ship ANNA . We flew Air China out of San Fran - flew between all the cities in China and flew home on Cathay Pacific. I'd be happy to answer any questions . Everyone was great helping me - I'd never been to Asis before. It was quite an experience.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:20 AM

hi
cherigal
any tips on Shanghai? we are there for 2 days... from a cruise
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Where did you stay in Beijing and what was the very best thing for you? Did you wear jeans?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I want to know your impression of the Yangtze Cruise. Especially the vista.

Opinion is very split on this forum. Some say it's still a must see despite the higher water level, others say it's a waste of time in a sewage reservoir.

I want to hear what you think about that.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM

emmitt -- don't mean to jump in but jeans are very acceptable in China as long as you have another pair of black pants to wear in the evenings to fancier dinners and shows.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM

We just got back (10/4) from a 2 week trip to China and Tibet with Viking River Cruises. So even though I'm not the OP and questions not directed to me, hope no one minds if I jump in with my two cents in response.

lovemykids - Shanghai - only there for one full day because we got in so late the night before. Really enjoyed the Shangai Museum. We only spent about 1 1/2 hours there which wasn't a lot, but enough for us to get a good overview. I think it's worth seeing. Enjoyed the Bund area although it was really crowded because we were there during China's National Holiday. Would have liked to have seen Yu Gardens. The acrobat show at the Ritz Carlton was very good too.

emmitt - we stayed at the Westin in the Financial District. Beautiful hotel. Spent 4 nights in Beijing - went in early for a day before our tour started. We saw sooooo much that it's a tough one to pick the "best thing." Favorites for me (not in order of preference) were the Hutongs and Great Wall. The Forbidden City and Summer Palace were great, but so many rooms you can't go in to. No, we didn't wear jeans. Not because there is anything against jeans, but to me they would have been too hot. I swear I don't see how people do China in the summer, because even when we were there the temps were in the high 80's, low 90's F and with the humidity.... - nope no jeans for me.

rkkwan - I enjoyed the cruise and thought some of the scenery was gorgeous, especially the side trip up the lessor gorges. I admit it's hard to think of some of the towns being bulldozed and the relocation towns created. I think only time will tell. What I didn't like and can't help wonder if it's government mandated on all trips is the dam site visit. We made three stops at the dam and I think one would have been sufficient.

Now to add - Tibet was fascinating. Three nights in Lhasa. Beautiful blue skies, great weather. Yes I climbed the 320 steps up to the Potala Palace. Yes I tried Yak meat, Yak Butter Tea and Sheep Lung!

Hope to get a trip report done this weekend that I may post.

O.K. enough butting in. Anyone with questions is welcome to post or e-mail me.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the post. I'm going to China with Ritz tours for 12 days in November. How was the food that was included on the tour? How many people were in your tour? Anything yu wish someone had told you before you left?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 05:04 PM

We're going on a 13 day tour with Collette Vacations (Beijing/Xiam/Guilin/Shanghai) the end of March 2008, weather then?

The is our first Asian trip and I was wondering what vaccinations are necessary, if any. Any other suggestions as to clothing to bring, etc? We're very excited about this trip, the Great Wall and everything. Any suggestions or help is appreciated although, as it is a tour, much is preplanned for us. We do get some free time in Beijing and Shanghai. Suggestions as to authentic souvenirs to bring back (that we can't buy in the states)?
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM

My favorite day in Shanghai was our last day there. After two weeks of travel and intense sightseeing it was leisurely and included shopping at the Dongtai Antiques Market (a cross between souvenir shops and rummage sales - bargain hard!)then walking over to the Xintandi neighborhood for happy hour at an outdoor cafe and finishing up with an excellent dinner at Din Tai Fung.

I wore jeans every day and black pants at night.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Sounds like a great trip, Cherie, but who in the world told you you couldn't wear sandals? I wore my flip flops all over China, in the best of the hotels in Shanghai for afternoon tea, and nobody could possibly have cared less, nor did I look out of place in the swankier places. As for jeans, everyone wears jeans, I wore jeans everywhere as well.