Just back-- 2 weeks in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I -mid-50's -- planned entire trip online, using Fodors, Frommers and ThornTree message boards,and it was all fantastic!
Arrived BKK (11-21) at midnight (RT Delta from Cincinnatti only $812)-- had 6am flight to Chiang Mai so actually slept a few hours in airport (2nd floor between int'l and domestic was nice and quiet)
From CM we took 4 hr taxi to PAI-- this is a must-visit small town and perfect way to start the trip-- Stayed at the fabulous "Belle Villa" for 2 nights-- They have a jitney into town-- there we rented a motor bike for only 100 bht ($2.50) for 24 hours!! Beautiful countryside--went to hot springs and waterfall, small temples---Had 2 great massages, only 150bht/hour- We really loved Pai--
We then took (much cheaper) van to Chiang Mai for 3 nights-- stayed at River View Inn-- Not as nice as Belle Villa, but only $44/night and right on the Ping River-- Were there for Loi Krathong festival which I can't even begin to describe, it was amazing (Just read Gpanda's account and we actually saw their flaming lantern land in the tree! At the time, we didn't think that was very "auspicious" for the launchers!) - Had a great dinner at The Gallery--Shopped at Night Gallery, but found best shops with tribal things on street just south of the market (parallel to the Main street)-
Then we flew to BKK and had a 4 hr lay-over on our way to Krabi, so we got a taxi to Bangkok Weekend Market (Chatuchak)-- Too much fun! Bought a set of flatware and mailed it home from post office there- (it's supposed to take a MONTH to get here!)
Then we flew to Krabi, taxi to Ao Nang and long boat to Railley West-- This is a MUST VISIT place!! It was dark when we arrived (you have to carry your bags out of boat and up to the beach) and the next morning we were blown away by the huge limestone cliffs-- We stayed at SandSea which has beautiful pool and really nice individual cottages- We walked abt 10 mins to AMAZING beach which is actually part of Rayaveedee Resort but totally open to public (the resort charges $800US a night!!)-- Each evening a dozen monkeys "hang out" near the resort kitchen which made for great photo opps -
We hired a long boat for only 1500bht for entire day and went snorkeling at Chicken and Poda islands-- Also rented a kayak for 1/2 day to snorkel and explore sea caves-- Railley West is the best!! Next, we took long boat to Krabi, taxi to boat pier, ferry to Koh Lanta and hotel shuttle to Sri Lanta reosrt-- This was another incredible hotel--I booked a "Star Path" bungalow which really was in the stars! It was highest bugalow on the hill with a great deck with a covered, cushioned platform and a wooden bathtub! Most exotic place we've ever stayed-- Loved the hotel, but Koh Lanta is pretty boring scenery-wise compared to Railley-- Finally we flew to BKK for last 3 nights-- Stayed at Marriott Riverside-- Got deluxe river view room only $80 on Priceline.com-- We would definitely stay there again-- Loved the Grand Palace and Wat Pho-- Sky train to shopping centers-- A welcome relief to shop without haggling at Center Dept Store-- We were there for King's Birthday, so were treated to a "farewell fireworks show" before we headed to airport for 1am flight-- Whew! Just wanted to get this all down and hope it will be of help to anyone planning their trip--
You can see just a few of the pics we took at this site:
<http://www.susanmillerspeaks.com/thailand.htm>
Susan

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:36 PM
CFW

Enjoyed your trip report and photos -- and admired your energy! Where was the photo of the Wat with all of the monks taken?
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:19 PM

It sounds like you had a wonderful time! Thanks for the report.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the report. It made me want to book for Pai right away. Krabi may m,ake it onto our list for next time as well. The depositions concerning the "floating lantern incident" will commence shortly. I can't believe there were witnesses to the event.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Where was the photo of the Wat with all of the monks taken?

We were at Wat Pho on Sunday, Dec 5, which was King's Birthday-- This group of monks walked by while we were watching a "birthday band concert" and I followed them up into this small temple-- Luckily there were no signs saying "no photos"!
Yes, GPanda, there were witnesses!!--we said whoever sent a flaming lantern into a tree was lucky it was raining that evening-- Can you imagine that festival being allowed anywhere in the USA?

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM

If we're not in Thailand next year, it's my intention to simulate a launch in Cambridge, MA or proximity. I may have to so surreptitiously. To the naysayers, I remind them that Enrico Fermi conducted atomic energy experiments under the bleachers at Chicago University. He could have wiped out humanity. I'm only risking a liberal enclave, admittedly, the center for creative thought, but who needs ideas anyway?
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:21 PM
CFW

As an alternative, Enrico, you might consider the firewater (I think that's what it's called) festival in Providence during summer.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 06:46 PM

When we were at loy kratong, we were in koh chang, which has to be about the least populated place in thailand, and at around midnight we were sitting on the porch of our beach bungalow and saw these things floating in the sky. My wife swore that they were UFOs and we watched them forever till we finally asked someone who worked at our place what they were and found out they were the floating lanterns! it was kind of weird to look out over the ocean and see these things just come up from no where! I am sure that my wife would of freaked out if she saw one run into a tree!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

it's my intention to simulate a launch in Cambridge, MA or proximity.

Just bribe the local fire marshall and Logan Airport air traffic control to look the other way!
We first saw lanterns while we were in (itty bitty)Pai and we too thought they were UFO's!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences. You're absolutely correct, the valuable information found on these websites is inspiring and makes successful independent travel possible.

However, you are one tough travel team. How did you manage a 4h taxi ride after the flights from CNN to BKK to CM? As well as the weekend market during a 4 h layover in BKK on your way to Krabi? What's your secret? Did you store luggage at the BKK airport when you departed for Krabi?
We have a 2 h layover in BKK between arrival from Siem Reap and depature for Krabi. We're concerned about enough time for international transfer and getting excess luggage stored in the domestic terminal. But you had time to go shopping!
Take care, brenda
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 03:48 AM

Thank you for the report and the pictures.

How did you get such a cheap flight?? One stopovers or two? My travel agent recently gave me a CAD $1,800 quote for a RT flight from Toronto to Bangkok. That's roughly US$1,500!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Forget bribery. There's a long history of civil disobedience here in Cambridge. Maybe I'll launch it over Walden Pond. Of course, WP is surronded by forest, so this might be slightly irresponsible. Perhaps Boston Harbor, the site of the Tea Party. I've got 11 months to plan.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Our secret to travel success is: we each bring only one small carry-on bag, no matter how long we're gone-- My husband likes to use a backpack and I use a 19" roll-aboard-- I wear LOTS of black and we do laundry abt once a week (Had it done on Railley for abt US$3) I bring paperback books that I read and leave in hotels. I also brought a large empty satchel which we loaded with purchases-
It is so sad to see people struggling with their luggage and letting their bags determine where they can and can't go!
We checked our bags at BKK on our way to Krabi so we could use the lay-over to taxi to the Weekend Market--
We generally never check bags on our way to a travel destination as we've had lost bags in Spain and New Zealand and that's not a fun way to start a vacation! We DO check bags on the way home, because when they get lost (and they do)at least we're home!
I found the $812 Delta tix abt 6 mths ago --I always start my flight search at www.itasoftware.com --
The 4 hour taxi ride from CM to Pai was easy-- We got some rest in the BKK airport on the padded seats of two electric cleaning carts that were re-charging (this was 1 a.m.!) Our flight to Chiang Mai was around 6:30 am and when we got there, we just grabbed a cab-- Best $60 we spent!
Thanks again for your questions and comments.
Susan

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Susan,
Great report and nice pictures. Thanks! I can't wait to go to Thailand!!
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 09:46 AM

will be in BKK in APril with 18year old daughter for 4 days. (she;ll have spent previous 3 months living near Chaing Mai.) want to travel outside BKK (a few hours, preferably by train) for variety/more local lore, etc. before heading to Siem Reap & Singapore (friends there.) Any suggestions? We are avid kayakers, if that narrows the field. thank you
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Karnchanaburi by train from Bangkok and there are rafting there, not sure about kayaking.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Thank you for your trip report and helpful hint about packing light.
That's always my next goal.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Janak626:- I agree Kanchanaburi seems to fit the bill, you can find Kayaks along the Kwai Noi part of the river. The train ride is fun, takes a few hours, lots of eco adventure stuff to do, there has been a discussion about accommodation and I will top it for you. Kanchanaburi is the main town for the River Kwai area which has history (WWII) plus the River, scenary, hot springs, rafting, kayaks plus some fun adventure trips etc.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Janak626: Look at the thread titled "Bamboo Rafts" and you will see some link.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Hi Susan,

My husband and I will be in C.M. From Nov. 1 - 4. When exactly is the Loi Krathong festival?

Thanks Cheryl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -