Jogjakarta - two complete days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, along with my family, am planning to go to Jogjakarta (from Jakarta) in June this year. We will be going by train. I would be grateful if somebody could enlighten me on the following:

1. How to book the train tickets? Is it possible to do it online?
2. We are interested in seeing Prambanan Temple and Borobudur temple. What other place can we visit? How about Merapi Volcano?

A suggestion on a three or four star hotel Jogjakarta, keeping in mind the location of the above two temples, is also solicited.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For buying tickets, see: http://www.seat61.com/Indonesia.htm

I believe I stayed at the Ibis, which was fine, but probably not a three star.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 05:06 AM

With just two days, you can see Borobudur and Prambanan, but I'd also recommend a driver to the Dieng Plateau for the beautiful scenery, and an performance of the Ramayana Ballet out at Prambanan. See my trip report http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...n-to-jogja.cfm from November.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM

Personally, I think doing the Dieng Plateau is pushing it in the limited time, but have a look at Kathie's report and see if it interests you.

Batu Roko is a hilltop temple (or maybe palace) near Prambanan. It's still relatively 'new' as a tourist sight so it isn't in some guidebooks, but it is an interesting place and there's a combined ticket that gets you into both places.

Don't miss the the Kraton in Jogja, along with the water palace (Taman Sari).
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the lovely info. The trip report of Kathie seems to be very useful and informative.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Pls suggest if we can visit both Borobudur and Merapi Volcano in the same day. If so, please guide us in planning the day. What time should we leave the hotel which is near Malioboro street, which of these - Borobudur and Merapi - should we go first, and what time should we leave one place for another and come back? In the second day, we plan to visit Prambanan Temple.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 05:43 AM

You can probably visit both in the same day. Hire a car and driver for the day. Leave your hotel very early so you can get to Borobudor as it opens. It will be about an hour drive. After a couple of hours at Borobudor, stop at Candi Mendut, a jewel-box of a temple with a unique seated Buddha. From there, your driver can take you via back roads to Merapi. You will see a lot of destruction from the volcanic eruption several years ago.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie for the info. Can you please also help in planning my visit to Prambanan Temple? What time should we leave the hotel so that we see enough of temple and then see the Ramayana Ballet. We do not want to reach the Temple to early and then wait for the Ramayana Ballet to start which as per my knowledge is held in the evening. How much would be journey time from Marlioboro street? Are there some good food chains/restaurants like pizza hut, McDonalds, Starbucks in the Prambanan and Borobudur area?
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 05:26 AM

As I remember, we left the Maliboro area about 2:30 or 3 for the drive to Prambanan. We spent a couple of hours there, then our driver took us to a restaurant nearby that was excellent. It was in a more rural area, above the river, and the food was very good. I believe the name of the place is in my trip report.

Have your driver get you the best seats available for the ballet. The front row seats at the ballet were big comfortable chairs right at the edge of the stage.

While there are American fast food restaurants in Indonesia, I don't remember seeing any in either the Borobudur area or the Prambanan area. I'd ask the driver to recommend a place. We are choosey - no buffets, for instance, and he found us a place to eat in a town on our trip back from the DIeng Plateau.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie. You gave me a good info.