Jewelry ok in China?

Search

Jewelry ok in China?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jewelry ok in China?

We're getting ready for our first trip to Asia on Friday. Of course we never travel with really fancy jewelry, but I usually wear my wedding/engagement rings and regular watch in most major European cities and never feel that it is a problem. We were recently in Peru and had been advised to leave absolutely everything at home, so we did. We will be in Beijing and Hong Kong - what is it like in those places in this regard? I'm not trying to start one of those controversial "is there crime abroad" threads or anything. I live in a major US city and know the basics about not being foolish. I am just wondering if Beijing/HK share some of the safety issues with South America, or if it's generally about as safe as USA/Europe. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I wore jewelry in China and felt perfectly safe. I don't think you need to worry. I wouldn't wear big flashy things with lots of precious stones in them, but mostly because when you travel and move around, it's easier to lose things, and, why bring attantion to yourself. Incidentially, when I was in Peru last year, I wore jewelry. I stuck to mainly gold and left my diamond wedding ring at home, just in case.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:38 PM

no problem in either place
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Feel free to wear your usual jewellery in China, I think it's the safest place I have lived in, although one must still exercise reasonable caution. People say there is some bag snatching, but I haven't seen or experienced same myself. It could be being carried out by out-of-towners who are not able to get work in the big city.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM

I have never felt unsafe in China or Hong Kong. But I always wear inexpensive jewelry such as a plain gold band and inexpensive ear rings whenever I travel. Hopefully, if there is a problem, the mugger will go after the one wearing expensive diamond jewelry and let me keep my Wal-Mart special. When bargaining for merchandise, the lack of expensive jewelry may help in getting a lower price, too.