Japan trip idea

Search

Japan trip idea

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan trip idea

I'm thinking about returning to Japan in the fall of 2008 but I need some advice. Last time I spent 3 days in Tokyo, 10 days in Kyoto, 2 days in Kanazawa and 2 days in Takayama. This time we want to return to Tokyo and take days trips from there and also go back to Kyoto so we can do some day trips from there.

Here's the question. We don't want to move around every day or two but would rather find another two places that would be good bases for day trips. What are your thoughts?We're more interested in culture than scenery.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM

glorialf, I'd like to help. I'm not too familiar with your interests, but IIRC you did not enjoy Takayama though your ryokan experience there was very good. You loved Kyoto. I think you visited Nara but considered that the time would be better spent in Kyoto. Are these recollections approximately correct?

What kind of cultural experiences did you enjoy on your last trip? And what are you looking for now? Baseball and sumo and public onsen baths are part of Japanese culture, but I don't think that is what you mean

My thoughts are that your best bases for culture are, of course, Kyoto and Tokyo.

In Kyoto in October there is a dance performance in Gion. I think the name is Kamogawa Odori (like a fall version of the Miyako Odori). There is a fall festival in Takayama. The leaves will be turning colors about the 3rd week of November in Kyoto. On Sundays in November parents take their children 7-5-3 year olds (I think those are the ages, I am tired - it is 3AM in Krakow, shichi-go-san) to Meiji Shrine dressed in beautiful kimonos. You may also see a Shinto wedding there.

How long do you want to stay at these day trip bases? How much time, one way, would be the maximum travel time for day trips?
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

You're correct about your recollections. We definitely want to spend time in Tokyo both to spend more time in the city itself and to go to Kamakura and Nikko. Are there any other day trips from there worth doing?

In kyoto we want to do day trips to Uji, Nara, Hiroshima and Kobe and perhaps a return to the Miho Museum.

Interests are: gardens, all crafts, tea ceremony, flower arranging, architecture, art, buddhism, anything connected with Tale of Genji (I've been in a class studying it for 4 years), markets (but not shopping). In our last trip we loved days we spent with a Noh mask maker, a calligrapher, a fabric designer. I am very interested in Japanese woodblocks and ceramics. You're right that sumo wresting and baseball isn't why we want to go back. What we didn't like about Takayama was that if felt fake to su. On the other hand we loved Kanazawa.

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM

You've probably seen this site but its great for giving info on walking tours of Tokyo, bus and train info and just general information on some places that you mentioned

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/index.html

Hakone is a nice full day trip from Tokyo that might interest you.

Be ready to be a mountain goat if going to Nikko as the main sights of interest seem always to be located on a hill. Lots of climbing hills and stairs but we thought it worth it.

Aloha!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM

I second Hakone, lovely open-air museum with lots of Rodin sculptures. You can do a day-trip, if you start quite early in the day. Miho museum out of Kyoto is also amazing. Very strongly recommended.

There are lots of attractions--gardens etc--that fit the bill in Tokyo. Also you may want to consider Mashiko, famous for ceramics/kilns. I've only been there when they have special annual fair (really mobbed) so don't know how crowded it gets during the rest of the year.

from Kyoto (or other western part of Japan), you can cover Kurashiki and Hagi, both are lovely walkable/cyclable cities with old towns. From Nara, you can visit Mt Koya though it would make more sense to make this an overnight, rather than a day-trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM

South of Nara on the JR line is Horyuji with some ancient wooden structures.

I think that maybe Okayama might be a good base. The garden there is very famous. It would put you a bit closer to Hiroshima for that day trip. Kurashiki should be an easy visit from there also.

You really ought to put Himeji castle on your list of day trips if you are interested in Japanese architecture. In addition to the marvelous castle there was a showing of several dozen of the miniature trees on a lawn out front.

Hagi is a nice town. Famous for pottery, Hagiyaki. If you read Kokoro or another book by Lafcadio Hearn then Hagi is his home.

There is a tour of pottery towns in Kyushu that might be interesting. These towns are in Saga prefecture just south of Fukuoka. Also Hakata dolls in Fukuoka.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-- I'll look into your suggestions. I've been to Himeji Castle and Miho Museum -- loved both and may return to the latter.

So could we get to Hagi and Kurashiki from Kyoto as a day trip?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM

Hagi is 5 hours or more from Kyoto or about 3.5 from Hiroshima.

Lafcadio Hearn's town is actually Matsue. There is a very nice original castle there. Very near to Matsue is the wonderful Izumo Taisha (36 minutes by JR local).

Matsue is 4 hours from Kyoto or about 2 hours 40 minutes from Okayama.

Kyoto to Okayama is an hour. Okayama to Kurashiki is only 15 minutes or less.

emd and others have written about Naoshima. This is very close to Okayama.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM

We visited Naoshima last month - if you love art its wonderful!!!! We loved it!
To get there, Okayama to Uno by train & then short walk 5mins to ferry terminal (easily seen when you leave the station) & 20 mins ferry. All can be done on JR pass & then I think ferry was 280 yen each way.
I'm sure its do-able in a day trip, but I would want to stay longer!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Okayama to Uno would be 64 minutes on the JR Uno Line.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM

I know that there are a few place in Kanazawa where you can actually do things like make pottery, make something with gold leaf, make soba...rather than just look at the stuff. This is the type of thing that has to be reserved in advance (about a week or so ahead).
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Just wanted to mention we also used Diane Durston's book "Old Kyoto" - in it she writes about many of the old style shops & restaurants in Kyoto. Its very interesting & about craft in the widest sense - from people making the best indigo textiles to chopsticks and buddhist temple food. It divides Kyoto (& some surrounding areas) into the guide. An easy & lovely read.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Another thought - about 6wks ago we went to this:-
"Don't pass up the chance to visit Kawai Kanjiro's House, 569 Kanei-cho, Gojozak, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto (00 81 75 561 3585), in the city's old pottery district. The former home of the celebrated mingei potter was built in 1937 in a rustic Japanese architectural style. Now a museum dedicated to his life and works, it has an intimate feel - all the rooms were designed by either Kanjiro or one of his friends, including fellow mingei designer Kuroda Tatsuaki. At the back of the house, visitors can see the huge kiln where Kanjiro fired much of his work. Admission costs Y900 (£4.50) and the museum opens daily from 10am-5pm, except Mondays, when it is closed."
It is quite near Kyoto Museum - down back streets & we got lost finding it - it is small, but quite lovely. He was part of arts & crafts moevement.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:26 AM

gloria:

Having just returned from Japan (Tokyo, Beppu and Kyoto), I roundly second the motin to take in the marvelous, unique and beautiful Miho Museum. It's sort of a trek (10-12 minutes by train from Kyoto Staion to Ishiyama Station), then a Teisan Bus for the 50 minute drive into the forested mountains for the one-of-a-kind Miho. It's a jaw-dropping experience...your digital cam will get a workout!

Stu T.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM

I think it was a post of glorialf a couple of years ago that gave me the impetus to go to the Miho Museum when I visited Kyoto last year. It was wonderful!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

It was me who first raved about the Miho Museum -- it was probably the highlight of my trip. I will definitely return and I urge everyone to go. You'll never see anything like it.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Unfortunately, the info on fodors about Japan is very limited so I must refer to a competitor's site:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...ki/H45153.html