Japan train travel

Search

Japan train travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan train travel

Has anyone traveled from Kanazawa to Tokyo changing trains in Eichigoyuzawa?
My question is really about scenery. This route first goes north then in Eichigoyuzawa seems to head down through the Japan Alps to Tokyo and I am wondering if the scenery is especially beautiful?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:16 PM

I have, maybe ten years ago. I don't recall being awed by scenery, but that doesn't mean it isn't there to see. I drove the route from Tokyo to Kanazawa last fall through Nagano and it was nice, though there are quite a few tunnels. Trains use lots of tunnels, too.

If you use a JR Pass to travel to Tokyo via Echigoyuzawa, you will need to pay a supplement on board for use of the portion of private tracks...not much, but I can't recall the exact cost.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM

With JR Pass, you indeed have to pay a supplement (to the train conductor as he moves down the cars) of 950 yen + 500 yen limited express charge = 1450 yen (100 yen less if travelling on unreserved seat). If you route via Nagaoka, there's no supplement, though it adds a little to journey time and there are fewer connections. If you use JR East pass, no supplement is payable.
As for scenery, the route from Kanazawa to Echigoyuzawa is pleasant, but not spectacular. The route via Nagaoka goes mainly along the coast. Joetsu Shinkansen from Nagaoka or Echigoyuzawa to Tokyo goes mostly through tunnels, and apart from brief glimpses of mountains, you don't see much, unfortunately - the price you pay for travelling on high speed line through Japan Alps.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Alec, I've been using Hyperdia to find rail routes. I'm planning to travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa on a JR Pass. How can I tell from Hyperdia when a supplement is payable for non-JR lines? The trains on the various routes are listed as either JR, Shinkansen or Limited Express.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Hyperdia, or other online timetables, don't give such information. There are only certain lines (Third Sector lines) where a JR train travels on non-JR tracks and you have to pay separately for that portion of the journey. Other than Hokuetsu Express mentioned above, such lines include Izu Express line between Ito and Shimoda, and Spacia limited express from Shinjuku to Nikko (travelling on Tobu tracks; there is an alternative route for JR Pass holders without paying a supplement, such as Shinkansen to Utsunomiya and change to JR Nikko line).
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Thanks Alec.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM

You can see the route maps of JR trains here at the site below. Also you can see the non JR lines which are listed as the non solid pink lines <pink>-------</pink>

http://www.japanrail.com/index.php?p...timetable-fare

http://www.japanrail.com/index.php?p...le-fare-honshu

Aloha!