Japan March Itinerary

Search

Japan March Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan March Itinerary

Putting this out there for comment and critique.
I want to cover a lot of ground but at times want to cancel all the running around and stay at a AirBnB for one week straight in one place.
We like train travel so a long train ride isn't a problem and our air is locked in
The lady I am related to by marriage is somewhat hesitant at getting in a car with me so may have to fall back on public transport or hire a driver for Kunisaki area.
For Kyushu from trip reports here, the traffic is light and the english gps makes it easy.

March 8, Thursday - Depart Honolulu 2:35 PM
Hawaiian Airlines

March 9, Friday - Arrive Tokyo Haneda 7:30 PM
Spend night at Royal Park Haneda Airport

March 10, Saturday - Tokyo
Check and restore balance of existing Suica Cards
Transfer to Richmond Premium Asakusa

March 11, Sunday - Tokyo
Mt Takao Fire Festival

March 12, Monday - Tokyo
Museums / Shopping / Eating

March 13, Tuesday - Tokyo/Kyoto
Send Bags ahead to Kobe
Start 14 day Japan Rail Pass
Depart for Kyoto
Uemura Ryokan

March 14, Wednesday - Kyoto
We have been to Kyoto before so this is a short visit to see some friends and get a quick taste of this city

March 15, Thursday - Kyoto/Kobe
I've always wanted to visit Kobe
Oriental Hotel
Visit Arima Onsen, Mt Rokko

March 16, Friday - Kobe
Possible day trip to Himeji, depends on weather
Send bags ahead to Ibusuki

March 17, Saturday - Kobe / Kumamoto
We've been to Kumamoto before so this is a stopover
Dormy Inn Kumamoto

March 18, Sunday Kumamoto / Kunisaki Peninsula
Rent car in Kumamoto
Drive to Kunisaki via Aso
Stay Yamaga Onsen Kaze no Sato, Kitsuki

March 19, Monday - Kitsuki,Kunisaki
Hiking/ Touring

March 20, Tuesday - Drive Kitsuki/Takachiho
Visit Usuki, Bungo-Ono, Takeda
Stay Kashi Besso Takachiho

March 21, Wednesday - Takachiho/ Ibusuki
Return car to Kumamoto
Train to Ibusuki
Stay Ginsyo Ryokan

Unagi Hot Spring

March 22, Thursday - Ibusuki
Stay Ginsyo Ryokan
Climb Kaimondake
Healthyland Hot Spring
Send bags back to Tokyo Richmond Hotel

March 23, Friday - Ibusuki / Nagasaki
Visited Nagasaki before, this time visit Mt Inasayama
Stay Dormy Inn

March 24, Saturday - Unzen
Stay Unzen Miyazaki Ryokan

March 25, Sunday - Unzen
Stay Unzen Miyazaki Ryokan

March 26, Monday - Unzen/Tokyo
Last rail pass day, a bit of a long haul, don't mind long train rides but would like to arrive before 9:00 PM
Stay Richmond Asakusa

March 27, Tuesday - Tokyo
Stay Richmond Premium Asakusa

March 28, Wednesday - Tokyo
Stay Richmond Premium Asakusa

March 29, Thursday - Tokyo/Honolulu
Depart Haneda 9:30 PM
Arrive Honolulu 9:30 AM
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:12 PM

Well, if you are happy with it, I am not going to complain.
What sticks out like a sore thumb is the trip back from Unzen to Tokyo in one shot - you are talking about a brutal 8½ hours sitting on trains, completely murdering the day. Maybe break that up along the way? Since you are going down to Unzen, along the way if you have time you could visit the Yutoku Inari Shrine in Kashima, Saga. It is one of the best Inari shrines in Japan. And just outside Fukuoka City is the Nanzoin Temple, a real secret jewel that you will never forget. If you are going to be driving around Kyushu, you certainly should consider getting a Kyushu Expressway Pass to save money on the tollways.

For Kumamoto, the castle is still closed due to earthquake damage. The Suizenji Garden is very nice though. And things are getting better at Mount Aso, although you still can't get closer than 1 km from the crater rim. But if you are driving and the weather is good, the Daikanbo Lookout nearby is exquisite. The Nabegadaki Waterfall just west of Oguni is nice too. And if you have the time and interest, the Kuju Flower Park is also worthwhile. Since you're driving, the 300 million year old Kyusendo Limestone Cave is another possibility. It's south of the Kumamoto City though.

For Nagasaki, visiting Mt Inasa is best just before sunset, and watching the day turn into night to see the "10 million dollar view". Be sure to try the try the Nagasaki chanpon and saraudon for lunch or dinner. There are many other places to fill up your day if you have not seen them - the Peace Park/Museum, Glover Garden, Dejima, Koshibyo Shrine, and lots more.Find out if any hold some appeal.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a great trip, wish I could come!

I agree with Adastra - instead of that long train trip, I would (and did) fly from Nagasaki. I also might reconsider splitting the time in Tokyo. Have you looked at using local rail passes rather than a full JR pass?
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Adastra2200,
Thanks for the recommendations, I've marked them on my map.
We've been to Kumamoto before and have seen the Castle and Suizenji Gardens as well as visiting Aso, all fortunately before the earthquake.
The Kuju Flower Park looks like it may be good depending on the weather. We're also going to Nagasaki for the second time and although the stopover will be brief, Mt Inasa, chanpon, saraudon will be doable, and the Koshibyo Shrine is only a fifteen minute walk from the Dormy Inn. Koshibyo has a good webpage with a downloadable informational brochure that will make the visit much more enjoyable.Yotoku too has a very good web page.
As to the long train ride, this seems to be a signature feature in some of my trips. One year the family rode from Nikko to Sakurajima in one long day, crossed the ferry in twilight and didn't get to the ryokan until after dark, in time for bath and dinner though. Hopefully, it won't be brutal but an exciting conclusion. I changed my hotel reservation in Tokyo for one night to the Shinagawa Prince to make the arrival less stressful. I'm hoping I'll be able to have a good soak in Unzen in the morning and be able to be in Tokyo by 8:00 PM well rested for some evening activities.

Thursdaysd, Yes next trip I will explore the in-country air travel. I know it makes sense but I am something of a rail aficionado and a long rail journey appeals to me.
I have used the regional passes, a few years ago we flew directly to Fukuoka and used the combination North Kyushu, All Kyushu passes and they worked quite well.
This trip though it is the 14 day All Japan Pass, I've gone Green and Regular and on this trip, I'm still debating whether the Green would be worth it. Last time we had the Green pass the cars were almost empty so I don't know if at this time of the year space on the regular cars would be an issue.

Thank you, both for the feedback
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 04:07 PM

Adastra2200 is absolutely correct with his comment and suggestions.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:55 AM

You have enough time to get to Asakusa on the 9th.
Your enjoyment of Inasayama is going to depend on the weather and you won't have a second chance.
Take a pillow or cushion to sit on when you go to the shrine in Takachiho to enjoy the kagura performance.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 11:10 AM

I don't have time to check it out but I think you might benefit by going to Unzen before Nagasaki. A benefit of less travel time, maybe, but it also might make the 26th easier. You will, enjoy the Kamome Limited Express.

I doubt that you will have any trouble at all getting seat reservations in ordinary cars.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mrwunrfl for the tips.
I did try to reverse the Unzen/Nagasaki portion and couldn't change my accommodations at Unzen
Browsing booking.com Japan will be a popular place this spring, lots of sold outs showing up in the most popular places.
Kagura is on my list of must-sees.
Fingers crossed for weather outlook.
On a positive note, it looks like the Sakura blooming will be early this year
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 07:04 AM

I'm serious about the cushion. If the show is on and you go then you will be sitting on a hard wood floor. You also want to read the story of the play, what it means, and the tradition.

The heat of the hot sand bath on the beach at Ibusuki is intense, extreme.