Search

Japan Itinerary for May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan Itinerary for May

Hello,

I am planning on going to Japan for ~3 weeks in May. Leaving Canada on the 6th and arriving in Osaka on the 7th. I have quite a bit planned out but thought I would see what some people who have been to Japan have to say.

Simplified Itinerary:
May 6th: From Regina to Vancouver to Tokyo (overnight)
May 7th: From Tokyo to Osaka
May 8, 9,10: 3 Full days in Osaka (possible day trip, see below)
May 11th: Head to Mt. Konya and stay overnight (only for sure thing as I managed to get a reservation at a good temple)
May 12th: Depart Konyasan for Kyoto
May 13, 14, 15, 16: 4 Full days in Kyoto (although I am pretty sure I will head for Nara one of the four)
May 18th: Depart Kyoto for Tokyo
May 19, 20, 21, 22 ,23, 24, 25 ,26: 8 Full days in Tokyo (and area)
May 27th: Tokyo to Canada

I was thinking of extending my stay in Kyoto and take 2 days from Tokyo. That way I can see more while doing some day trips. I want to go to Iga Ueno so it is likely I will take a day out of tokyo and stay in Kyoto longer. I know a lot of people say Tokyo isn't too spectacular for a long stay but I did a euro trip two years ago and don't know if I want the whirlwind tour again .

Big question is if I should do a day trip for Osaka to Hiroshima. I plan on returning to Southwest Japan in the future (who knows when exactly) and am not too concerned about all the sites out that way but I do feel I should get to see Hiroshima just in case.

I am going to get a JR Pass.

I am open to suggestions
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

*Mt. Koya and Koyasan
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 04:23 AM

Hi JavianJeff, it depends on your interests. If you like temples and gardens, then I would recommend one or two more days in Kyoto, especially if you're thinking about using one of the days to go to Nara. And I would also recommend taking two of your days from Kyoto and visiting the Hakone area on your way from Kyoto to Tokyo. It's a nice area to break for a change of pace and weather permitting, you can see Mt. Fuji. Another option is to go to Nikko for a couple of days from Tokyo; one of the most important shrines in Japan is here and there are nice hikes / walks to waterfalls, etc. I think 3-4 nights in Tokyo is enough, but again, depends on your interests. Haven't been to the other places so I cannot comment on them.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM
kja

"I was thinking of extending my stay in Kyoto and take 2 days from Tokyo. That way I can see more while doing some day trips." -- It really depends on your interests, as Kyoto and Tokyo are incredibly different. FWIW, I spent 4 full days in Kyoto and 2 full days in Nara. I spent less than 2 full days in Tokyo (plus a day trip to Kamakura and an overnight stay in Nikko).

Hiroshima is well worth seeing IMO. If you don't mind the time spent for transportation, why not? Or you might consider spending a night on Miyajima after you visit the A-Bomb Dome, Peace Park, and Peace Museum.

While on Koyasan, don't miss Okunoin!
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 08:22 PM

You don't need a JR Pass.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 11:06 PM

We enjoyed both Tokyo and Kyoto but based on our personal experiences, yes I'd give more nights to Kyoto and take them from Tokyo. It's not there's not plenty to see in Tokyo, of course, and you can fill the time for sure, but that Kyoto is just so fascinating. But, as I say, that's just my personal preferences on which I loved spending time in the most, of the two.

I'm not sure about giving Osaka so many nights, it's an interesting place for sure, but 4 nights seems a lot unless you have particular reasons for allocating so much time there? Personally I'd do 2 nights in Osaka (but others here may well disagree).

You might give a day / overnight to Hiroshima and Miyajima -- head off early morning to Hiroshima, spend some hours at the Peace Park, A dome and museums, then head across to Miyajima island in the mid-afternoon, explore, stay overnight in a lovely ryokan, enjoy seeing the floating gate at different times of day and tides, so you can walk out into the sand to the base of the gate, visit Daisho-in (temple), if you're into hiking, enjoy some time walking... and head back to Kansai late morning or early afternoon the next day. Two photo essays: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2013/03/mes...of-love-5.html and http://www.kaveyeats.com/2013/03/mes...of-love-6.html

If you are interested, we enjoyed a half day trip out from Kyoto to nearby Yamazaki Distillery - you can sign up for a free tour (but need to do this a couple of days in advance, at latest) which includes an English audio guide while you go round with the group. You'll finish with a tasting, in a large tasting hall, do ask on arrival for your whisky to be served neat or you'll be given the tasting samples with ice and soda. And then if you are a whisky fan, do go to their lovely Whisky Library bar, which is visually stunning but also allows you to sample drams of a wider range of their whiskies including the chance to try the elements that make up one of their blends as individual drams as well as in the blend itself. That's not something we'd come across before and thought it great opportunity. Here's some content on our experiences there: http://www.petedrinks.com/2012/11/wh...stillery-tour/ and http://www.petedrinks.com/2012/11/wh...hisky-library/

Another option from Kyoto which I'm sure you already have on your list is Arashiyama, not only for the bamboo groves (which are beautiful but don't take long to walk through) but also for Tenryu-ji - the gardens of this temple were one of my favourites to wander around in at one's own pace.

We didn't manage a day trip to Uji which is famous for green tea, but would have liked to.

Likewise, a visit to Miho Museum (a bit further out). The architecture, setting and art look wonderful.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 11:52 PM
kja

per Kavey: "Tenryu-ji - the gardens of this temple were one of my favourites to wander around in at one's own pace." -- Hmm... I enjoyed Tenryuji -- it was very pleasant, but I was certainly not "wow-ed" by its gardens, at least in comparison to other gardens I saw in and around Kyoto. Perhaps it depends on the season -- I was there in May.

Re: Uji -- If Byodoin is open again when you are there, by all means, make time for Uji! Byodoin is truly lovely.

FWIW, I stopped for a cup of green tea while in Uji, and it may have been the one and only time during my 3-week trip to that wonderful country when I felt that I was being "taken." At the time, I couldn't afford the highest grade of Uji's teas, and honestly, I doubt that my palate was sufficiently attuned to the nuances of green tea to have justified the prices for that top tier. I think I was pretty clear that I was not willing to pay the prices for those particular teas. Nonetheless, the salespeople at almost every establishment I entered were quite adamant that I really should buy one of those top-tier teas. I had no idea that Japanese salespeople could be that pushy! I finally found a place that accepted my statement that the most I could afford was the best of the 2nd tier group of teas. Yes! Except that I was then stuffed into an uncomfortable corner and made to feel that I should leave ASAP. It was decidedly unlike anything I experienced anywhere else in Japan, where courtesy and tact seemed to have been honed to perfection. It was a very good tea and I could tell that it was better than some green teas I have had; I honestly can't tell you if it was better or worse than some of the other teas I had while in Japan.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 12:35 AM

Kja, we were there in early October. What I loved about Tenryu-ji's gardens were the many little paths where we could wander, away from the madding crowds, even sit on a bench and relax in the setting for a while. The sun threw dappled light through the leaves onto the mossy ground, a stream tinkled along the edge of the path, there were many little dragon-flies flitting between the flowers, and landing on the low bamboo path fences and small flocks of tiny birds flew from tree to tree. It felt magical. In the main garden areas, we watched the gardeners tidying the errant fallen leaves and then, only after we'd become utterly relaxed, did we head for the central temple area to view the buildings and large lake, where most of the visitors were massed.

Re: uji - that's such a shame! One of the things we love about Japan is that lack of pushy sales, and the warm and genuine welcome. It sounds as though Uji is so wholly a tourist resort that the shop keepers have lost sight of the normal courtesies.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. There are a few more things to think about now.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 08:43 AM

I'm pleased to see you plan to visit Iga-Ueno as it is a very attractive journey and destination. Beware that the train connections in Kamo and Iga-Ueno can be tricky: study the access information at http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4353.html and get detailed platform information off www.hyperdia.com (the destination you want is uenoshi). My recollection is that the Kamo to Iga train is colored purple. Its worth memorizing the kanji so you can read the destinations signs on the front of the train.

Is it the Ninja or the Basho associations that bring you there? Both are worthwhile. The Basho birth house is excellent, but the museum is pointless unless you read Japanese or are a Basho fanatic as there is almost nothing in English (just notebooks, his will etc.).

The castle is very scenic (it was cherry blossom when I was there) and the ninja house, museum, and show are all very enjoyable. A great day out.
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 03:19 PM
kja

@ Kavey -- what you describe of Tenryuji sounds very special and reminds me of my experience at Heian Shrine. Everyone who visits Japan should have such an opportunity!
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 02:12 AM

Kja, it's what I hope for everyone who visits!