Search

Japan in October, open to suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan in October, open to suggestions!

Hello!

I would really appreciate any comment or suggestion about the planning for my trip to Japan in October. We will go there for 15 days. We already have our international flights from Spain to Osaka (Kansai), coming back from Tokio. We will arrive at Osaka on October the 7th at 08.55. The 21th we will leave Japan at 11.20 from Tokio.

I am still a bit confuse about the planning it will be our first time in Japan, so I would like to share the initial planning (or rather, first approach with you to know about your feedback.

Day 1: Arrive at KIX at 08.55. Kioto
Days 2 to 6: Kioto. One of these days I would like to go to Hiroshima. I am not sure whether to sleep there or in Miyajima, or to make a one-day trip from Kioto. What do you think? In that case, where would you place it?
Day 7: Kioto (or Hiroshima) - Kanazawa (night here).
Day 8: Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Takayama. This is October the 14th. The Doburoku Matsuri Festival takes place during these days (14 and 15) and It is said to be a very interesting festival even for the japaneses.
Day 9: Takayama.
Day 10: Takayama - Tokio
Day 11 to 14: Tokio
Day 15: Depart to Spain.

What do you think? Could this inital planning make sense?
I am thinking on buying a JRP, maybe with this planning a 7 days JRP cuold be enough?
In Kioto area I would like to go to Kobe (to taste their beef ) Hijami, Nara and Osaka. Nara and Osaka could be made in one day? And mabye Himeji one afternoon?
Do you think 2 days in Takayama are enough?
Another question would be with how much time would be good to book the hotels.

A lot of things .. Sorry if this post it's too long or my english it's no perfect ... Any suggestions will be wellcome!

Kind Regards from Spain!!!
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Yes, a 7-day JR Pass with your current plan. That is because of your plan to visit Hiroshima. You could start it as early as Day 4 and use it for a day trip to Himeji or Nara. You don't really need to visit Kobe or Osaka.

I think you have enough time for Takayama. You can spend time in Shirakawago that you might have spent at Hida no Sato in Takayama (your other option could be to take the train to Takayama and have time for Hida no Sato). Leave Takayama late afternoon and you'll have some quality time there that day.

Your plan is squeezing Kanazawa, which is ok. If you get there from Miyajima then your time there is not much at all. Kanazawa would be more of a stop for the night on your way to Takayama. To a lesser extent (an hour less of travel) the same is true for leaving from Hiroshima.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 04:59 PM
kja

Should be a great trip! Just a few comments:

I like that you are giving Kyoto 5 days – but I’m not sure that Hiroshima / Miyajima fits in very well. It’s about 2 hours each way Kyoto to Hiroshima, so that part could work, but you need to add a bunch of time for Miyajima (to get the ferry), so I don’t think Hiroshima WITH Miyajima would work well as a day trip. They are well worth visiting, IMO, and Miyajima is particularly delightful after day-trippers leave (making an overnight very appealing), but Miyajima to Kanazawa is, I think, a trip of more than 12 hours. Not for me! And if you try to include Hiroshima, then you're cutting into your time for Kyoto....

I gave Kanazawa only 2 days and seriously regret that I didn’t give it more. If your purpose in moving forward on day 8 is for the Doburoku Matsuri – which I believe is in Shirakawago, but not Takayama? – then I would encourage you to make sure that you would have enough time in Shirakawago to actually experience it. I think the bus only stops there for about 3 hours, but could easily be wrong.

Whether 4 days is right for Tokyo really depends on your interests. Some of us are happy to give it just a couple of days (plus whatever time our day trips take); others want much more time to experience modern Japan.

You don’t actually need to go all the way to Kobe to taste Kobe beef.

I haven’t been to Osaka, and so probably shouldn’t comment, but I will say that I would have enjoyed more than 2 full days in Nara and more than 4 full days in Kyoto. And those times did not include Himeji-jo, which I agree is well worth seeing – along with Koko-en, a little garden next to it.

For my interests, 2 days would be about right for Takayama; some people want less, others want more. ;-)

Book the hotels whenever you want – just be sure to book ones that can be cancelled in advance.

Wait to make a decision about the JR pass until you finalize your itinerary.

Your itinerary includes some places that I agree are well worth seeing. The bad news is that I'm not sure you can fit it all into the time you have, so you may need to prioritize. The good news is that there are no bad choices here -- just difficult ones.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 05:47 PM

There is virtually nothing of touristic interest in Kobe. But you could eat Hida beef in Takayama. It's generally considered equal or superior to Kobe beef.
Old Feb 9th, 2017, 06:12 PM
kja

Oooh, the Hida beef in Takayama!
Old Feb 10th, 2017, 10:10 AM

You are smart to build your trip around the Doburoku Matsuri in Takayama - you are right - that is a very special event so please make sure you've got accommodation as people book a year in advance for that period. I know many visitors to Japan who have done HIroshima/Miyajima as a day trip from Kyoto. Yes, it is a long day and yes it would be preferable to overnight on the island but those I know who have done it feel it is well worthwhile. Visiting Hiroshima is a pilgrimage and no one I know has regretted going.

I have to address the comment above which seems to equate Tokyo with modern Japan. It is impossible to understand/get to grips with Japan without spending real time in Tokyo. Its status as capital may date from 1868 but its importance dates from 1603 when it became the capital of the Tokugawa shogunate. Tokyo seems to scare many people off - it appears a vast urban sprawl but within that metropolis are small scale neighbourhoods and places of real beauty. So please don't shortchange Tokyo!

I agree - no need to visit Kobe on this trip. It is a nice small city but you can make better use of your time. Enjoy the hida gyu in Takayama - and the kobe beef in Kyoto or Tokyo. Have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 10th, 2017, 02:29 PM

I happen to agree with Boveney regarding Tokyo, especially the statement on neighborhoods and places of beauty. If one gets past the top 10 sights of Tokyo which are usually crowded with tourists there is much to see and do. Tokyo is like an onion, with many inner layers to seek out and explore, especially the smaller neighborhoods that include historical sites and also offer a peek into everyday life of the residents.

Many posters here favor Kyoto and I totally understand it for I too love Kyoto. There is so much to see that I just haven't gotten around to over 3 or 4 day visits. But I know many Japan travelers who prefer Tokyo because as they say, there have little interest in going to temple after temple after castle after temple.

As most posters here say, how much time one devotes to one place depends entirely on your personal interests.
Old Feb 10th, 2017, 04:34 PM
kja

To be clear, when commenting on modern Japan, I did not mean to suggest that <u>all</u> of Tokyo is modern – just that a major reason for differences between people in how much time they spend in Tokyo seems to reflect their interest in experiencing modern Japan. In addition to its very modern sides, Tokyo has some delightful preserved sections of old Edo, and some lovely gardens, and much to enjoy – Tokyo is not JUST about modern Japan.

That said, despite its history, so much was destroyed in WWII that I don’t think it incorrect to say that Tokyo offers more to those interested in modern Japan than, say, Kyoto or Nara or Takayama, etc. And if one goal is to “understand/get to grips with Japan,” then yes, spending time in Tokyo would be absolutely critical. On the other hand, if one is traveling to Japan to experience traditional Japan, and if time is limited, Tokyo might not be one’s highest priority.

It really does come down to one's personal interests.
Old Feb 11th, 2017, 08:57 AM

You can get Kobe beef in Kyoto. I saw it offered at a Gion restaurant. Momijiso had a bit of Hiroshima beef in the kaiseki dinner. But the best place for beef might be Buenos Aires.

A couple of fodorites (emd for one) enjoyed a day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima & Miyajima. That is a plan for a nester, but not for me as I would prefer to spend the night. With a JR Pass, there is/was a Hikari shinkansen in early morning that goes from Kyoto to Hiroshima, otherwise there is a transfer somewhere (likely Shin-Osaka). If you choose an itinerary with a transfer just make sure that it doesn't use a Kodama shinkansen.
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments! I think I'm going to place Hiroshima/Miyajima in day 6, overnight in Miyajima, and day 7 trip to Himeji to see the castle. Miyajima - Himeji are "only" 129 min far from Miyajima, so we could be at Himeji at 10.49. Afternoon in Kioto, and day 8 depart early to Kanazawa from kioto. What do you think? With this planning and according to your suggestions I would discard Osaka. (Kobe too )

I am not sure whether to spend 2 nights in Shirakawago or in Takayama. It is said that Shirakawago can be saw in 3-4 hours, but as long as those days the Doburoku Matsuri Festival takes place (yes kja, is in Shirakawago), what do you think? Better sleeping at Shirakawago or Takayama? Or mabye 1 night at Shirakawago and 1 night at Takayama? I would like to see the festival, but maybe if one full day (from 11am to 17.00, then bus to Takayama and 2 nights there) is enough to see it, isn`t it?
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 03:53 PM
kja

I don't think you'll regret an overnight on Miyajima -- it can be absolutely delightful!

Another thought -- you might consider going straight to Hiroshima from the airport as soon as you arrive. You'll likely be tired, but you'll be tired in any case. The advantage is that it would allow you to avoid staying in Kyoto twice. Just a thought....

As Boveney noted, it may be too late to get a room in Shirakawago, so if that's your goal, you should start looking ASAP. And remember that Shirakawago is a region, not a village, so you'll want to make sure you know how you will get to your lodging once you reach the area.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5950.html
Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:39 PM

I think your original plan to go from Hiroshima to Kanazawa makes more sense than stopping in Kyoto.

You really want 2 nights for Takayama. Two nights in Shirakawago is not a great idea, in general, but maybe worthwhile for the festival.

You probably want to stay in Ogimachi, Shirakawago (am guessing that the festival will be there).

You will have competition for lodging in the area. If you are one traveler then you may lose out. Expect that lodging charges will be per person, so they might not give a room to a solo traveler when they know they can sell it to a couple (or more) and make more money on the same room.

You'll also have competition for bus seats on the regularly scheduled bus routes. Maybe you can get on a charter from Kanazawa. Renting a car would be an option, but then you deal with traffic and parking.

If your plan would be to spend 3 or 4 hours in Ogimachi, Shirakawago, then you might not get as much out of it on a festival day as you would on a normal weekday visit.

Going to that festival (it seems to me) requires some commitment and planning and effort - that all may well pay off, but I would not want to pay that price for a 4 hour visit. It is that cost that makes me think a 2-night stay might be a good idea to get the payoff, if you can get the lodging.
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

The reason why I come back to Kioto is because we want to see Himeji, which I think it is a “must see”, isnt't it? From Kioto is more or less and hour, from Miyajima is 2 hours, which does not make a big difference for me. So in this sense, it is more or less as if we make Hiroshima/Miyajima in one day, but doing an overnight on Miyajima, that all of you agree it is very nice.

Kja, thanks for your suggestion, but I thing that going straight to Hiroshima from the airport as we arrive is going to be quite exausted, and we would have to activate the JRP since day one ...

mrwunrfl, I'm traveling with my girlfriend, so that would not be a problem. I have to think about it, but at this moment my first option I guess is to spend the 2 nights in Takayama, being at Shirakawago the first day for some hours. BUt I'm not 100% sure ...
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 04:16 PM
kja

Ah yes, the time for activating your pass is a very good reason for delaying Hiroshima!

And yes, Himeji-jo (and Koko-en, the small garden next to it) are well worth seeing.

OK, another option: One less day in Kyoto to start, then stop in Nara for two nights en route to Kanazawa. You'll want to see Nara in any event, so this option would let you stay somewhere different and give you a bit more time in Nara. I think that would still give you 4 full days in Kyoto, but maybe I've lost track.... Again, just an idea to consider, with no right or wrong answers. ;-)
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 08:25 PM

Sircharles75, I think I get it that you are spending a night on Miyajima and then stopping at Himeji one the way to Kyoto. The next day you will then spend 2+ hours getting from Kyoto to Kanazawa and then continue that day with Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Takayama.

What I'm suggesting is stopping at Himeji on the way to Kanazawa so that you can start the next day in Kanazawa.

Either way works.