Reload this Page >

Japan in August

Search

Japan in August

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 1998, 12:41 PM
cathy

Japan in August

We are planning a two-three week trip to japan. the only time we can because of kid's vacation schedule is august. we have heard that many japanese travel in august within the country, and it is a very bad time to go. does anyone have any info? thanks very much, cathy

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 09:30 PM
Loriko

In case you don't know, it is HOT!!! in August. You can make sunny-side-up on the street.

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 11:37 AM
Sara

Konichiwa: <BR>August is a busy travel season within Japan, but it's not horrible - you should be able to get trains and hotel rooms (provided you can be flexible and call in advance) I recommend the Lonely Planet guide to Japan for where to stay - there are also a number of really nice hostels (the best I've seen anywhere). One must do is the Gion Matsuri in Kyoto a huge ancient festival in the Gion district involving fantastic float/portable pagodas. The weather in August is hot, but the humidity is worse! If you know where you plan to be, I can give you more info. on what to see and do. By the way, it might help if you learned some phrases and common kanji before you go - while most people are super helpful, knowing some kanji for catching trains and busses can be helpful. Japan is a fabulous country and I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 04:18 AM
rsherman

We are planning a trip to Osaka in April of 99 and wonder about the weather and the hotels around the airport. Thank you

Old May 19th, 1999, 01:56 PM
Conor

Dear Cathy, <BR> <BR>My parents and I went to Japan last August because I (like your children) am in school. It was hot and humid but we had a great time anyway. Everyplace in Tokyo including the subway is air-conditioned. Carry bottles of water with you and don't push it too hard.