Japan in 8 days in Nov 2010

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I really want to go to Japan over thanksgiving in Nov and we have about 8 days to see as much as we can. We were about to book a guided tour but read a bunch of forums and a lot of people say that we can easily travel there independently without a tour company (which are way more expensive). Our main concern is that since we have such little time, will we be able to stick to the schedule and see everything that a tour can show us? Here is the tour we had in mind

http://www.magicalchina.co.uk/japan%...tial_japan.htm (Has anyone use this tour company? We are looking for standard travel and their prices seem reasonable).

If we did it alone, we are planning to do a similar itinerary as this tour. Please suggest how we can go about doing it if we did it on our own. Hotels, itinerary, Rail Pass. All or any info is appreciated!

Day 1 - NYC - Tokyo
Day 2 - Tokyo Sightseeing - City tour, Akihabara, Pachinko Parlor, Sumo Fight, Karoake, etc
Day 3 - Tokyo - Nikko - Tokyo (
Day 4 - Tokyo - MT Fuji - Hakone - Kyoto
Day 5 - Kyoto - Nara - Kyoto
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - Kyoto - Hiroshima - Kyoto
Day 8 - Kyoto - Tokyo - NYC
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM

I'd ditch the tour. I dislike tours. Japan is easy to visit independently. It's easy to get to all the places listed in your itinerary using public transport.

As for flights do you need to fly out of Tokyo? Why not look at an open jaw ticket, NYC - NRT/KIX - NYC. If you opt for an open jaw ticket I'd base myself in Tokyo and Kyoto and make day trip to the sights you want to see.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I am trying to use AA miles, so its easier to do NYC-NRT-NYC. Didn't you like the tour?
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM

We did basically the same route two years ago. Our only problen was finding our way through the Tokyo station - who designed that place?

We stayed at the Sawanoya roykan in Tokyo and the Comfort Inn (people laugh at us but it was fine) in Kyoto. Sounds like you could use a 7 day JR rail pass, activating it on day two.

If it were me I would take the train all the way back from Hiroshima to Tokyo. It would make for a long day but the train is very comfortable.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM

I'll actually be in Japan at the same time as you, hellopsz, my third trip in two years.

Absolutely agree with uselessness of a tour for your purposes---travel in Japan is remarkably easy, and even very tightly scheduled trips (as yours is) are easily accomplished.

I don't think your visit coincides with a sumo tournament in Tokyo, though. There is a sumo museum at the sumo stadium, and some sumo stables permit visitors to watch practice (I've heard, though I've no first hand experience).
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM

Oh, and agree with colduphere that there's no need to break your journey from Hiroshima to Tokyo. Depending on the time of your departure from NRT you can make it all the way from Hiroshima to NRT on the same day. And trains are indeed very comfortable.

You could use the time in Hiroshima to visit Miyajima and spend the night there.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

How can we buy the rail pass - is there a way to buy it online? why is it necessary to buy it before we go to Japan? Will the one week pass cover all the areas we want to visit...

Any ideas how we can organize day trips? Or even that is not necessary?

Where do you suggest we stay in Tokyo and Kyoto?
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM

Okay...

Before we dive into whole hog into this trip you should do some looking around on your own. Your questions have been answered here many, many times and there are also other great resources.

I suggest that you do some looking around here at Fodors and also check out http://www.japan-guide.com/ Your rail pass questions, for instance, are answered in excellent detail there and that information is kept up to date and organized.

Once you've done some looking around, and also have an idea of the sort of budget you've got (for accomodations in particular), come back and ask us some more specific questions.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

I am revised my trip based on all your suggestions...does it make more sense to go to Hakone or Nikko? I have added one night in Hakone and one night in Hiroshima below..

Day 1 - NYC - Tokyo (Arrive 3:30pm)
Day 2 - Tokyo Sightseeing
Day 3 - Tokyo Sightseeing
Day 4 - Tokyo - Hakone
Day 5 - Hakone - Kyoto
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - Kyoto - Hiroshima
Day 8 - Hiroshima - Tokyo - NYC (Flight to NYC at 7pm)
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM

This looks good.

Nikko is in the opposite direction from Hakone/Kyoto/Hiroshima, so given your limited time I'd probably skip it this visit.

Have you figured out how to get your JR pass yet? Your next question will likely be "can I make reservations in advance?" And the answer is no, but you won't need to during this period---just show up a few minutes before your train and reserve a seat (reservations free with your JR pass) at a "Green Window" (midori no madoguchi).
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:54 AM

I am getting a little nervous about my own advice as I don't know what kind of traveller you are. FYI, the train(s) from Hiroshima to Tokyo will take a little under five hours (unless it has changed you can't take the quickest Nozomi train on a JR pass). So you can leave Hiroshima at 9 and be in Tokyo at 2. Then to the airport...

It is so hard to advise without knowing someone's travel tolerances.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 03:41 AM

Try looking at www.hyperdia.com to play around with train schedules. Once you get used to the site it is very helpful.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Here my question. my husband and I are getting this tour for $2000 per person, is doing it myself going to be cheaper??

Day 21st Nov Tokyo
Arrive at Narita Airport in Tokyo, you are met by your tour assistant and transferred to your hotel for a 3 night stay. The rest of the day is at your leisure to adjust to the 9 hours time difference.

Day 22nd Tokyo
Morning - City tour of Tokyo visiting a number of the main highlights of this magnificent City. The tour includes a visit to the Tokyo Tower where you can enjoy panoramic views across the city from the observation tower. We proceed to the peaceful picturesque setting of the Meiji Shrine, set in thick woodland and considered to be one of the finest examples of Shinto Architecture. Next we visit the 'Akasaka Guest House' for a photo opportunity. The Guest House is a magnificent 'Western Style Palace' built in the Baroque Architectural style. We then drive alongside the imposing National Diet Building, which is home to the Japanese House of Parliament. Our tour continues across Tokyo to the Imperial Palace East Garden, where we enjoy a pleasant walk in the East Garden of the Imperial Palace, which is filled with scenic and historic beauty. (Alternatively for tours on Monday & Friday we will visit the Imperial Palace plaza and famous Double bridge instead of the East Garden, including a visit to the inner moat and towering Palace walls surrounded by pine trees). Our tour will continue with a drive and stroll along Ginza high street, the famous shopping area of Tokyo. Our tour will disband at Ginza giving you the opportunity for shopping.We also recommend you visit the Sony Centre building to see the futuristic electronics on display. Ginza is also convenient for the subway to explore further.

Afternoon - free at leisure or take optional afternoon city tour, which includes Asakusa Kannon Temple and Sumida river cruise. (ask for details at time of booking).

Day 23rd Tokyo - Nikko - Tokyo
Full day tour in Deluxe motorcoach to Nikko National park, a designated World Cultural Heritage site. Nikko is a gem of Natural scenic beauty and is home to some of the most spectacular examples of ancient 17th-century Architecture in Japan. The tour includes a visit to the magnificent Toshogu shrine, which houses the Mausoleum of the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate. We will see the Five-Story Pagoda, Niomon Gate, Three Monkeys, Yomeimon Gate and Main Sacred Hall. We then travel along the scenic Irohazaka hairpin highway for Japanese style lunch at a local restaurant. After lunch we travel to the spectacular Kegon waterfall which is 100 metres in height. We continue our tour with a scenic drive alongside Lake Chuzenji (reported to be 161.5 metres deep) and MT Nantai. The tour disbands on arrival in Ginza & Shinjuku at around 7-8pm, where you will have ample restaurants and bars to choose from for your evening meal and entertainment, or if you prefer, you can return to your hotel. For your assistance, full information on return transportation will be provided by your tour guide.

Day 24th Tokyo - MT Fuji - Hakone - Kyoto
You will be picked up from your hotel and driven by deluxe motorcoach to Mount Fuji. Along the way you will enjoy the scenery of rural Japan, panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and mountainous peaks. From our vantage point on the 5th station on MT Fuji, we will enjoy spectacular views (weather permitting). Lunch will be provided at a Hotel/Restaurant in Hakone. In the afternoon we proceed to the Hakone National Park where we will take a cable car ride with the opportunity to see the magnificent volcanic Hakone mountain range below. We will then travel to the Owakudani Boiling Valley where you will see ancient volcanic craters with sulfurous fumes and clouds of steam spiraling from crevasses across the mountain side giving a truly mystical image. We then proceed with our tour for a boat cruise on Lake Ashi, which is set in serene natural beauty, where weather permitting spectacular views of Mount Fuji can be seen silhouetted in the lake. Proceed to Odawara and take the Shinkansen (Bullet train) to Kyoto. Accommodation at the New Miyako hotel or similar (includes: Lunch).

Day 25th Kyoto - Nara - Kyoto
Full day sight-seeing tour of Kyoto & Nara including a visit to the Kinkakuji temple (Golden Pavilion) centred around one of the best examples of a Japanese Zen garden in the world.Then to Nijo Castle, residence of the Tokugawa Shogun. Built in 1603, Nijo Castle is noted for its Ornate interior and 'nightingale floor' designed to sing when stepped upon to warn of Ninja assassins.(When closed visit Ryoanji temple). We then travel to the Old Kyoto Imperial Palace (on Sat/Sun & national holidays visit Kitano Tenmangu Shrine or Hagashi Honganji temple instead). Finally we explore the Kyoto Handicraft Center where we enjoy demonstrations of Japanese traditional arts and crafts. Buffet lunch is provided at the Kyoto handicraft centre. After lunch we travel to the ancient capital of Japan, Nara. Our tour includes a visit to Todaiji Temple, one of the world's largest wooden buildings housing the Great Buddha. We proceed to the Kasuga Shinto Shrine the most famous and beautiful Shinto shrine in Nara with 3,000 antique stone and bronze lanterns. Finally we explore Nara Deer Park with more than 1,000 deer roaming freely around the 1,250 acres park. Return to your hotel in Kyoto (includes: Lunch).

Day 26th Kyoto
Day free at Leisure to explore the fascinating city of Kyoto or purchase an optional afternoon tour to the colourful Heian Shrine and inner garden and ponds, Sanjusangendo Hall, a renowned long wooden hall housing all of 1,001 statues that date back to the 13th century and magnificent Kiyomizu Temple with spectacular views across the entire city. (This highly recommended afternoon tour can be prearranged at time of booking).

Day 27th Kyoto - Tokyo (possible tour of Hiroshima and back to Kyoto for bullet to Tokyo)
Unassisted transfer to your hotel in Tokyo by Bullet Train.

Day 28th Tokyo to NYC (7:20 flight so we have all afternoon)
You will be met at your hotel and transferred to the Airport for departure flight.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

There is also this option

http://www.insidejapantours.com/self...rice-cruncher/
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:33 AM

As a single budget traveler I never really look at tours but I just did a quick calculation (so might have made some errors) with the insidejapantours itinerary. I added the 7 nights of a double room at the 3 hotels listed, two Pasmo tickets, two bus tickets to Hakone, two Hakone free passes, two Shinkansen tickets from Odawara to Kyoto, two train tickets from Kyoto to KIX - I came out with 117,460yen or $1392 US. The price of two Japantours - 1200 GBP - is $1850 approximately so it should be cheaper to do the same trip on your own.....
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:35 AM

If you will be doing a similar tour on your own, then when in Hakone skip the cable car ride to Owakudani Boiling Valley as well as the one-hour boat cruise on Lake Ashi. They were very boring, and wasted a precious whole afternoon in my opinion. Save your time for visiting culture sites elsewhere.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

I really want to do the tour on my own and this below is the most ideal itinerary for me. Reading54, do you think I should not go to Hakone, my husband and i are really interested in culture..that's what makes Japan different.

Do we need to buy the JR or Nozomi passes before getting to Japan? Which pass do we recco we buy?

Day 1 - NYC - Tokyo (Arrive 3:30pm)
Day 2 - Tokyo Sightseeing
Day 3 - Tokyo Sightseeing
Day 4 - Tokyo - Hakone
Day 5 - Hakone - Kyoto
Day 6 - Kyoto
Day 7 - Kyoto - Hiroshima
Day 8 - Hiroshima - Tokyo - NYC (Flight to NYC at 7pm)
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM

As Therese and colduphere said in above posts, you can go to japan-guide.com to find out about train passes as well as hyperdia.com to price out your trip. A railpass cannot be used on the Nozomi trains, just the Hikari and Kodama - that are a bit slower and make a few more stops. You need to buy the voucher outside of Japan - then you convert the voucher into a pass in Japan. If you are in NYC there are a few places - Japanese travel agents - where you can buy the voucher in person.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:24 AM

Looking at your most recent itinerary, personally I would stay longer in Kyoto and cut out Hiroshima.....a rail pass would still make sense as traveling from Tokyo->Odawara->Kyoto->Narita would cost over 31000 yen and the 7 day pass is 28300 yen....
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

What do you all think about this itinerary? If I stay in Nikko, Takayama and Miyajima/Hiroshima the accommodation will be cheaper and I will get to see 3 fab places. Do you see any issues with this itinerary? Feel free to recommend hotels/accommodation as well.

Nov 21. - Land in Tokyo at 4pm, see the city at night
Nov 22. - Tokyo to Nikko (if there is way to get to Takayama from there I would like to spend the night)
Nov 23. - Tokyo/Nikko to Takayama (night)
Nov 24. - Takayama to Kyoto
Nov 25 - Kyoto
Nov 26 - Kyoto half day, head to Hiroshima/Miyajima in the afternoon and spend night
Nov 27th - Hiroshima to Tokyo (via Nozomi - does Nozomi go from Hiroshima to Tokyo, if not i can come back from Kyoto)
Nov 28th - Tokyo half day, evening flight back home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -