japan first trip itinerary; feedback?

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
japan first trip itinerary; feedback?

This will be our first trip to Japan, my husband speaks minimal japanese; we want to get a good sampling of japan and esp. visit some of the onsens in the mountains as well as shrines, temples etc..
we were looking at flying into toyko going to Nikko then Ise then Nara then Kyoto then Kurashiki then Hiroshima, then Beppu or Yofuin then return to Toyko.
any suggestions? places we missed or should skip all together? we are both young (mid 20s) and love adventures
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:47 PM

Bonjour Addwag,

How long are you going to stay, when are you going ?

Since you're young and adventurous, I'd advise that you don't plan too strictly in advance, and that you decide while there on the basis of the information supplied by the tourist office (TIC or local): Depending on the season, you'll hate yourself for missing THE big festival, fleamarket, special fair, just because you've planned everything from your country.

Just make sure you have a hotel room for the first few days, then make use of the free reservation facility at the TIC, or make your own reservations by phone on the basis of the Welcome Inns list you can get through JNTO.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:32 AM

I travelled from Kumamoto to Beppu to Fukuoka one day and only spent a few hours in Beppu. I was not impressed by the Hell pools, visited the first two and then headed for an onsen.

I do recall reading about a nice Japanese inn in Yufuin that might be worth the trip, but didn't get to visit.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

we will be going in late august or early september and depending on how much we should expect to spend each day $ wise we would like to spend 2 weeks apx.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

still curious as to what to expect for a price per day for food/room and transport?

Also if we don't book in advance and just show up is that usually ok (similar to europe?)
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Bonjour Addwag,

Hotels: I advise you to always have a reservation, if only a few hours in advance. JNTO ( http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/ ) has lists of reasonnably priced accomodations that they will send/give you for free, the Welcome Inns reservation centers ( http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/PS/AI/links.html ), local tourist offices and many hotels themselves will help you book accomodation at your next location.

You can find cheap but confortable hotels even in the center of Tokyo, starting at Yen 2500-3000 in a youth hostel or a place like New Koyo. In Kyoto, count 3000-4000/person for a small ryokan like Hiraiwa - Hinomoto, etc., all basic but clean and friendly.

A full breakfast (hot drink, salad, eggs, toasts) starts at 500, lunch can be found for as little as 500 (a bowl of ramen or gyudon - shredded beef on rice -).

Most convenience stores (Lawson, 7/11, Family Mart) offer a choice of cold and hot food for very little.

For transportation, you'll definitely need a railpass (http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/GA/Transpo...rail_Pass.html). It doesn't cover transportation inside most cities except Tokyo. Consider renting a bike in Kyoto, or ride the bus for yen 500/day