Search

Japan: first time visitor looking for guidance from experienced travelers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan: first time visitor looking for guidance from experienced travelers

Hello,

I'm a little hesitant to post, as the last time I posted on another travel site I was accused of asking to have my trip planned for me. I value the opinion of experienced travelers, especially when going somewhere I've not been before, and I just wanted to hear from them.

I am long overdue for some international travel, and Japan has been on my list of places to visit for years. I am thinking of going in early October, and based on my work life, I would say two weeks and a few days is probably the max I can take off. I would be traveling solo. What I would like to know from experienced travelers is what you would consider to be "must see" cities/areas? Where did you go that blew you away? Are there any cities/areas that show up on all the lists that you feel do not live up to the hype? I would love to experience the "old world" of Japan and also the modern version. I love the outdoors, experiencing and respecting cultures, living like a local, art, music, food, "off the beaten path" places, and experiences that create lasting memories. I apologize to anyone who feels this post is vague. I hope someone on here who has visited Japan will share their suggestions and experiences with me.

Thank you for your guidance!

Old Jun 20th, 2023, 11:05 AM

>> Japan has been on my list of places to visit for years.
Why?

I am a usually solo DIY tourist. When going to someplace new, I have found that reviewing guided tours helps to identify points of interest. They usually show a map of the tour and have descriptions of each stop. You can use that to start building a DIY itinerary.

Here is a rather random Japan tour webpage that I found for you: Japan Tours & Vacation Packages 2023-2024-2025 | Guided Tours (alljapantours.com)
You sh/could review each of the tours.

>> I value the opinion of experienced travelers
imho, you need to do some research about the country. Before my first visit to Japan, I reviewed the tour info, several guide books, and learned a bit of the language (learning how to say "hello" "thank you" "yes/no" "I am sorry" and "where is the toilet" is worthwhile, wherever you go).

You can take a look at these sites:

japan-guide.com - Japan Travel and Living Guide
JNTO - Official Tourism Guide for Japan Travel
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl appreciate the links and advice you shared. I see that you respond to several forum posts on Japan. To answer your question - why do I want to visit Japan? Because it looks incredible, beautiful, amazing. Because it has an amazing history, it has a culture that I want to experience. And as I mentioned, I was interested in hearing from experienced travelers on their experience, and advice, for a first time solo traveler.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikepakowski7624
mrwunrfl appreciate the links and advice you shared. I see that you respond to several forum posts on Japan. To answer your question - why do I want to visit Japan? Because it looks incredible, beautiful, amazing. Because it has an amazing history, it has a culture that I want to experience. And as I mentioned, I was interested in hearing from experienced travelers on their experience, and advice, for a first time solo traveler.
Ok, mike, that does not answer my question. It is even more vague than your OP. There are many countries in the world that look incredible, beautiful, amazing, and have amazing history and culture. That is true of Japan - and I understand that you are aware of that - but all you have shown is a vague awareness.

Did you explore the links (homework) I gave you? You need to do some research and come up with some ideas, which beautiful spots, what culture ... why Japan specifically. There is just so much. You really need to give us a plan, a starting point.

First-timers have Tokyo and Kyoto on their itineraries. Maybe also Hiroshima, Takayama, and more recently Kanazawa. Early October, I would be looking north for fall colors (that, koyo, is a topic at japan-guide), though am not sure when the September rains end up in Hokkaido.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 07:11 AM

Hi Mike!
I've been to Japan several times during this last decade, having visited 35 of 47 prefectures. So I can compare a lot of places and give you a list of my favourite places visited (of course there are many nice places I haven't yet been to). From south to north that would be:
  • Naha (in Okinawa)
  • In the Kyushu region: Kirishima mountains, Kumamoto city, Unzen peninsula, Yoshinogari historical site
  • West of Kyoto/Osaka: Hagi, Tsuwano, Matsue, Hiroshima, Mt.Shosha
    • Favourite things in Kyoto: Tanukidani Fudoin temple + surrounding area (Shisen-dō, Enkoji, etc.), Sagano area, Philosopher's Path
  • Between Kyoto-Tokyo: Natadera, Matsumoto
  • Close to Tokyo: Mt.Nokogiri, Edo-Tokyo Open Air Museum
    • Favourite things in Tokyo: taking the Himiko boat from Asakusa to Odaiba and visiting the Miraikan, Jōshinji Temple, Akihabara, Nezu Shrine, walking around Asakusabashi and Ryogoku neighbourhoods
  • North of Tokyo: Aizu-Wakamatsu, Yamadera, Dewa Sanzan, Hiraizumi

If forced to make a Top 5 list, it would be Yoshinogari, Hagi, Matsue, Aizu-Wakamatsu and Hiraizumi. Those are the places I love most, and I smile just thinking about them!

A lot of the places that appear on all the famous lists are nice, I think most famous attractions in Japan are worth a visit eventually. Their only downside is the crowds. Japan is an immensely popular country to visit so places like Kamakura, Hakone, Kawaguchiko, Nikko, Kyoto, Nara, Miyajima, etc. can be really packed. It's at this point where you have to decide what sort of trip you want: whether to visit the famous sites and brave the crowds, or visit off-the-beaten-path sites and make your own route, so to speak.

That said, I wouldn't consider anywhere to be a "must-see" place. The truth is, we all have different tastes. I didn't visit Kyoto until my 3rd trip, and even then it was just for a day, because it simply wasn't a priority for me. We also each have different perspectives. For example, last time I was in Japan, I was staying at a hostel in Nagano with a German girl and we both visited Togakushi Shrine on the same day (by coincidence). She came back from the place saying it was one of the most amazing shrines she's seen, there were no people and so much snow... I came back thinking the shrine was average, there were too many people and the snow was all melted... We walked the same path at the same time of day!

The sites that will impress you will ultimately be different from the ones that impress me or impress somebody else. For that reason, I think it's worth taking the time to figure out the practicalities (ex.which airport will you be landing in? If you're landing in Kansai, you'll probably have to stop in Osaka, so you might add Osaka as a starting base for simplicity's sake) and then go from there. Look at photos on instagram or pinterest and put the places you love on a map, trying to figure out a route like that.

If you want to create lasting memories, there are three things I recommend most:

- Stay at a minshuku. This is a traditional house and typically more homely than a ryokan. Ryokans can be a little formal so you won't get to "mix with the locals" in the same way. Finding a rural minshuku or farmhouse is wonderful.

- Festivals. Japan has many many festivals and events. You will probably be able to attend a matsuri if you look into it before planning. I always plan my route around a festival, and they have always been some of my best memories. In early October you have the Takayama festival, Matsue Suitoro, Asama Onsen Taimatsu, Nagasaki Kunchi, Kanuma Buttsuke...

- Planning 3-5 days in a remote area. For example, if you decide you really want to visit Hiraizumi, rather than just going there and back as a trip from Tokyo, consider getting to know the area a little. Take the bullet train to Ichinoseki and the bus to Genbikei gorge, eat some flying dango, visit Saikoji Takkoku Iwaya temple and sleep in Hiraizumi (there's a nice minshuku there called Minpaku Hiraizumi). The next day take the train to Geibikei for a boat ride with folk singing, have some wanko soba maybe, visit Hiraizumi in the afternoon. The following day go to Osawa Onsen Sansui for a beautiful secluded hot spring. On the way back to Tokyo you can stop in Sendai or Matsushima... Travelling like this, slowly without zapping back and forth across the country, is how you make a place your own. Going local will often give you more memorable experiences than if you only visit major tourist destinations, where you'll be surrounded by other tourists most of the time. Another example, don't just go to Hiroshima-Miyajima and back as a day trip from Kyoto/Osaka; take a few days and visit Hiroshima, Miyajima, Sandankyo, Iwakuni, Shimanami Kaido, Kurashiki, Bicchu-Takahashi... Wherever you go in the country, there are more towns to see than just one famous thing!

- Mix up your activities. Visit temples, castles, museums, but also do nature walks, crafts, go to the theatre. Ride trains, boats, buses, definitely walk as much as you can through neighbourhoods, backstreets, country roads. The greater the mix, the less repetitive your trip will be and the more likely you are to maintain the excitement throughout the entire trip!

This is a very general answer, but it's a very general question. Let me know if you need help with any specifics.

Good luck!

Last edited by Peter_T; Jul 5th, 2023 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 04:01 PM

I too generally reject the idea of Must-See places or experiences. As much as I normally prioritize history, food, and traditional culture, I did go twice to Tokyo Disney Sea. It is jaw-dropping, unique, and could only exist in Japan.
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 04:23 PM

Hello Mike

I will be a first time visitor to Japan and travelling solo as well. I've done quite a bit OS travelling over the years. My trip is 10 days only and am using Kyoto a base, taking in Osaka , Nara and what ever else I think of prior to leaving. I fly in and out of Tokyo , so that is on the agenda before fly out. Kyoto will give your more of a traditional experience. I could say more ,but have you thought about how you are planning your time and where at this point in time?