Japan Cherry Blossoms 2018

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2017, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to go to Japan from March 23rd to April 13th in 2018. This is my second trip to Japan. I spent 5 days in Tokyo and 5 days in Okinawa in 2016. I will be arriving in Tokyo and leaving from Osaka. I will be getting the 21 day JR Pass as I will be taking multiple day trips and traveling to a lot of cities. One of the things I would like to do is to visit the 3 gardens of Japan (Kairakuen in Mito, Kenrokuen in Kanazawa, and Korakuen in Okayama) especially during the cherry blossoms, although I may be coming a little early for the full bloom of the cherry blossoms. Using Hyperpedia, I will be saving a lot especially when I include the day trips I will be taking. I would like to stay in a ryokan for at least one night during my trip so any suggestions on where to stay for a ryokan is appreciated.
Here is my initial itinerary:

March 23rd: Fly to Japan from San Francisco
March 24th: Arrive in Narita Airport, activate JR Rail Pass, and use JR Rail Pass to travel from Narita to Tokyo.
March 25th: March 27th: Explore more of Tokyo with a day trip to Mito to see the Kairakuen and Explore Mito

After Tokyo , I have different options and would like some ideas or feedback on how to plan it out.
Option 1:
March 28th: Travel from Tokyo to Kanazawa
March 29th: Explore Kanazawa, visiting including seeing the Kenrokuen
March 30th: Kanazawa to Nagoya
March 31st: Explore Nagoya with a friend
April 1st: Nagoya to Kyoto
April 2nd - April 4th: Explore Kyoto with day trip to Nara
April 5th: Kyoto to Hiroshima
April 6th - April 7th: Explore Hiroshima with a day trip to Miyajima with a friend
April 8th: Hiroshima to Osaka
April 9th - 12th: Explore Osaka with a friend and a day trip to Kobe, Himeji and Okayama
April 13th: Fly out of Kansai Airport in Osaka
Is this option doable? Any recommended day trips from Kyoto or Osaka? Can I do a day trip to Himeji and Okayama? Any other places I should be looking to go? Any feedback is appreciated.

Option 2: A small change in the itinerary:
March 28th: Tokyo to Nagoya
March 29th: Explore Nagoya with a friend
March 30th: Nagoya to Takayama, explore Takayama and spend a night
March 31st: Takayama to Kanazawa
April 1st: Explore Kanazawa
April 2nd: Kanazawa to Kyoto
April 3rd - April 5th: Explore Kyoto with day trip to Nara
April 6th: Kyoto to Hiroshima
April 7th - April 8th: Explore Hiroshima and Miyajima
April 9th: Hiroshima to Osaka
April 10th - April 12th: Explore Osaka with day trips to Kobe, Himeji, and Okayama
Is it worth to spend a night in Takayama? Should I spend a night in Okayama or Himeji when traveling between Hiroshima and Osaka? My schedule is flexible after Tokyo as long as I fly out of Osaka on April 13th. Feedback and ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:47 AM

<<Should I spend a night in Okayama or Himeji when traveling between Hiroshima and Osaka?>>

Why? If you're trying to cut travel time, forget it - it's only about 2 hours from Osaka to Hiroshima. If you're doing it to visit the city, then that's dependent upon your interest in the city.

Generally, you're better off by taking a day from Osaka and adding to Kyoto.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:56 AM

You might be too early for cherry blossoms at all of those stops except Osaka and Himeji. Maybe Kyoto

Both plans are doable.

The Takayama part is debatable as I would suggest two nights. But, you are starting the day in Nagoya, so just 2.5 hours to get there and a bit over 2 hours the next day to get to Kanazawa. You won't see much sign of spring in Takayama, not even buds on the cherry trees.

The website for Kenrokuen will probably tell you that anytime is a good time to visit there, but I suggest you look at your timing closely. Probably too early for cbs there but spring would arrive there sooner than in Takayama, I think. Maybe Kenrokuen would be nice but not at its best.

Okayama and Himeji in one day trip from Osaka is doable if you are going to Himeji for cherry blossoms and not going inside the castle. The lines are going to be long, so it will take some time.

I would definitely go to Okayama first, given your interest in Korakuen. Take your time, visit Okayamajo (or at least go over to the bridge to see it closer). Then Himeji as an option for that day or next.
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:38 AM

You could visit Himeji or Okayama on your travel days to/from Hiroshima. In fact, because you have two full days for Hiroshima and Miyajima, you could stop at Himeji on one travel day and at Okayama (and maybe Kurashiki) on the other travel day.

OTOH, you could spend a good part of those travel days in Kyoto.

You have enough time for Kyoto, imo, and the Osaka part might be the best part of the plan given the timing and that you can spend time with a friend. Go to Osakajokoen and Sakuranomiya.

You could move Kanazawa to later.

Actually, you could move things around a lot and make it more south to north in parts.

Tokyo- Nagoya- Hiroshima- Kyoto- Kanazawa- Osaka.
Tokyo- Hiroshima- Kyoto- Nagoya/Kanazawa- Osaka.

lots of options. The backtracking would be minimal, between Osaka/Kyoto and Kanazawa the only backtrack is a segment south of Maibara.

Kyoto- Nagoya- Kyoto is a minor backtrack. Its only 36 minutes. It could take you longer than that to get from Kyoto to your Kyoto lodging depending on traffic.
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mrwunrfl. I want to take time to visit each site so I don't want to feel rushed. I think I will adjust my itinerary to go from south to north so hopefully I can see the cherry blossoms in Kanazawa. i think I will look into the first option:
Tokyo - Nagoya - Hiroshima - Kyoto - Kanazawa - Osaka