Itinerary suggestions- 10 days in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently in Indonesia volunteering and just found out that I have about 10 days free afterwards. I decided to spend that time in Thailand but this is so last minute so I need suggestions from people who know the area. I fly into Jakarta from Borneo on Aug 1st and already have a return flight to the US on Aug 11.
I've narrowed it down to Bangkok and Southern Thailand, as I would like to enjoy the beaches and maybe scuba (just once) while I am there. I would also like to go to Pattaya while I am there. I know this is cramming a lot into such a short time but I'm not sure when I'll have this opportunity again! I was originally hoping to do the classic lame tourist elephant ride but saw this primary occurs in and around Chiang Mai....which is too far north.
I am a 29 yo male and will be traveling alone. I have a backpack but don't mind indulging a little. I'm also okay with hostels if they are decent.
In terms of places to stay in Bangkok, I thought I might spend at least a night or two on Kao San road so I could potentially meet some travel partners....but again, I'm flexible and can travel solo.

Please help with an itinerary/suggestions!

PS: I checked on expedia if there were any flights on Aug 1 directly from Jakarta to Southern Thailand so I could just work my way up and save on travel time. Unfortunately, I did not see anything.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:16 PM

If you are interested in diving, Pattaya is not the place for you. It's a spot renowned for sex tourism, but the beaches are quite dirty. At this time of year, Ko Tao (near Koh Samui) is probably the best place. The Andaman Sea side (Phuket, Krabi, etc) the waters will be rough and the beaches red-flagged.

With a mere 10 days, time on Koh Samui/Ko Tao and time in Bangkok will be enough.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:18 PM

Try Air Asia for flights from Jakarta to Bangkok.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:39 PM

Sorry just reread your question and you wanted flight information for Jakarta to Southern Thailand.

Jakarta to Phuket: Air Asia but as Kathie have said there's no real diving there during the monsoon months.

Jakarta to Koh Samui: You will have to go through Kuala Lumpur and transfer to Bangkok Airways for the quickest route. Might be a bit expensive and the other alternative is to fly to Bangkok and connect on a domestic flight to either Koh Samui or Surat Thani and catch a ferry.
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to see the Phi Phi islands but sounds like the weather will be too unpredictable during the season. Am I interpreting this correctly?

If this is the case I will stick with Koh Tao, koh Samui and koh phangan. Between KS and KP, are there any large difference? Is there one that would be recommended (for whatever reason)?
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM

You may want to avoid Pattaya. The emphasis there seems to be on sex trafficking.