Itinerary Help Vietam

Search

Itinerary Help Vietam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help Vietam

We are traveling from the states to Vietnam and Cambodia in Feb 2020. two nights one day in singapore to get some jet lag out of the way.
We may need to cut 2 nights of this itinerary. please comment on it and which would you cut-Hue or Mekong Delta Boat to Cambodia or a day in HCM? Anything else a must do or cut? thanks for your comments.
Day 1-Hanoi
Day 2 Hanoi
Day 3 Bai Tu Long Bay
Day 4 Hanoi -night flight to Da Nang
Day 5 Hue
DAy 6 Hue
Day 7, 8 to Hoi An
Day 9 flight to HCM
Day 10, 11 HCM
Day 12, 13 Mekong Delta Boat to Cambodia
Day 14-17 (4 nights) Cambodia
Day 18 flight back to states
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Overall, I think it is a well-thought out plan. I hope you don't have to cut 2 nights, as it's already a busy itinerary. But if you have to cut, consider that DaNang consists of a long string of high-rise beach hotels - nothing there to recommend it. You could cut the boat to Cambodia and fly instead, but I hope you will be able to do your trip as described.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 06:25 PM

Day 3: Halong Bay or Lan Ha Bay; Bai Tu Long Bay is worth a 3D2N visit.
You can take an afternoon flight from Cat Bi airport (HaiPhong) to Danang (Hoian), Danang (Hoian) to Hue and Hue to HCMC.
OR Hanoi fly to Hue, Hue to Danang (Hoian) and Danang (Hoian) to HCMC.
I would cut Mekong Delta boat to Cambodia (A day trip from HCMC is still fine).
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 11:48 PM

Din ho has provided some innovative suggestions which will save you a lot of time getting from A to B to C and therein lies one of the issues in travelling through Vietnam - every time you change location you are pretty much writing off a day of sightseeing. Fewer destinations means more actual time seeing the sights.

You don’t say what you are particularly interested in seeing but are covering some of the most popular sights.

The Mekong delta is one of my favourite places in the country, especially the area around Chau Doc on the way to Cambodia. Rather than do a cruise, you could maybe include a couple of days there and then get the fast boat to PP. some details and photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/vietnam/

It may seem like a radical approach but if you have to lose two days, I would seriously consider cutting out the time in central Vietnam and taking a more relaxed approach to covering the north and south. Hanoi deserves at least 3 full days and whilst not a fan of Ha Long, I agree with Din Ho that two nights in BTL would be better.

I love Saigon as a city. There are many sights to see and it has some wonderful food option. Two full days would be good. A cruise is one way of seeing the delta but as mentioned above, there are other options. Cai Rang floating market is a unique sight and worth and overning stop in Cantho before heading on to Chau Doc. Can Tho City is not especially great but there are some nice homestay options in te surrounding countryside which will arrange a visit to the market and also provide an insight into life in rural Vietnam.

Jus a few thoughts. Before making any final decisions I would spend some time on airline and or train websites to try and work out realistic travel times. Sometimes taking an early morning flight or an overnight train can free up most of a day.