Itinerary Help for Thailand and Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow travellers, I need your input. I am planning to go to Thailand in March and I have 3 weeks off. I have been there (specifically Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Koh Samui) once before. I liked Bangkok but I wasted too much time in there (just to get that tailoring done!!) and the traffic was killing me; however, I liked Koh Samui, gave me a chance to relax. I would like to try new places this time and especially visit surrounding countries while I am making this long awaited trip from Canada. I am single, would like to do as much diving, sightseeing, eating, socializing, etc. including a bit of partying too.

So how is this itinerary sound to you experts: Toronto-->Bangkok-->Malaysia-->Singapore-->Phuket-->Bangkok-->Toronto ??
I am not sure if this is a great one and as well a good order to save money on the flight costs (if I could find a flight with stopover in Singapore on my way to Bangkok may work better!).

So 1) is this a good itinerary? Are Malaysia and Singapore really really a must? I think Phuket is a must this time.
2) what do you recommend instead? Should I even consider Cambodia, Lao, or anything else?? Any other place in Thailand!?

Thanks & Please help me!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I have not been to Singapore or Malaysia yet but I have been to Laos, just a couple of weeks ago, and to Siem Reap, Cambodia.

I fell in love with Laos and I only spent 10 days there. I was only scheduled for 5 nights but ended up extending my trip because I had the opportunity to spend 4 nights in a remote village in Oudomxai Province. This was a life changing experience for me!

Angkor Wat is also spectacular!

Hopefully others will comment on the other two places you are considering.

Cheers!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Let's see, you have three weeks off, so you'll likely have 20 days on the ground in Asia. With that, you want not more than 4 locations.

You've lsietd Malaysia as a location... Malaysia is a large country. there are big cities like Kuala Lampur, there is Malaysian Borneo (do a search here and you'll find my trip report from Nov 2005 when I went to Borneo), there are old port towns like Meleka and Georgetown (Penang). So what part of Malaysia re you interested in?

Singapore is a huge, modern, clean city. I always enjoy using it as a gateway in or out of more remote areas of Asia, but it's not especially a destination in itself.

Only you know what you are interetsed in, what you might like to do/see/expereince. I'd recommend that you do some reading so you have a better idea of where you might like to visit. In addition to reading about Malaysia, do read about Laos, Cambodia and VietNam, all worthy destinations.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM

OK I think I can get you thinking. Don't know too much about Singapore only having done stopovers there.I think I would leave that out.Your Malaysia leg. How about seeing some Orangutans? Amazing animals.Go to the Sabah region of Borneo. Here you might also like to climb Mt Kinabalu or just visit the rainforest in the foothills. For your Phuket leg how about Phi Phi. Great diving,socializing and some partying. And during your Bangkok leg try a trip to Kanchanaburi and see The Bridge over The River Kwai. There's much more you could add on. Take a look at our website
www.leightravelclub.com
and feel free to email and I will be happy to share our experiences of many years visiting the far east.
You might even like to include a quick trip to Cambodia to look at Angkor Wat. Very easilly done from Bangkok,and not too expensive.
hope thats a little food for thought!!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Personally, I wouldn't do more than one city. Melaka is small but quite interesting. Unless you have to go to BKK why not KL, Melaka and Sabah (you could poss even add on Penang). KL is just as good a hub as BKK
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so far but I am still confused! I don't have to go to BKK as I've been there before, but I'm trying to decide whether to do Singapore-KL-(phuket/phi phi/krabi)-Singapore OR BKK-Siem Reap-KL-(phuket/phi phi/krabi)-BKK?? I enjoy making new friends, outdoor adventures, and a bit of partying at nights and really don't want to end up alone in some remote location or in the hotels without anything to do. Not sure which one is more fun as well as cost-effective route??? maybe your input will turn on some lights for me as I'm having hard time describing my dilema!!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I think you need to decide what location or expereince is most important to you. For instance, if you really want to see Angkor, plan your itinerary around that. Your BKK-SR-KL-beach-BKK itinerary is more interesting. BKK is a more interesting city than either KL or Singapore. And going to Angkor definitely makes that itiinerary more adventuresome and gives it more "content."