Reload this Page >

Itinerary Advice: Vietnam in May or June

Old Sep 8th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone,

It will be our first visit to Vietnam. We'll have 10 nights. We prefer to spend a minimum of 3 nights in each location, so right now we're thinking Hanoi, Hoi An, and one other place (and possibly an overnight cruise on Ha Long Bay, if that is recommended).

Any thoughts on a third destination that will be a nice complement/contrast to Hanoi and Hoi An?

We've been to SE Asia a couple of times before (Thailand, Cambodia, Bali). We like culture, history, good food, cities, hiking. Night life is not important to us.

Thanks very much in advance!
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 11:44 PM

Hanoi has so much to see and do you could easily spend 4-5 days there ( we have often spent a lot longer.). It would take two, very full days, just to cover the main sights.

I confess I am not a fan of HaLong Bay, but even if I were, with ten days to play with, I doubt I would spend two of those in an overnight trip to the bay. Ninh Binh is arguably more accessible and does of the opportunity for a little hiking, cycling and boating amongst the karst scenery which is very similar to that round Ha Long and Bai Tu Long Bays. Another option to experience rural Vietnam would be a lodge or homestay in the Mai Chau Valley ( not the main town) . Beautiful scenery .

Hoi An is very quaint and, as a result very crowded, mostly with tour groups from mainland China. Great food options and better to explore in the heat of midday when th tour groups have gone back to laze on the beach at their hotels in Da Nang, China Beach Etc.

Hue, a couple of hours away is another option. Loads of history both ancient and modern, some of the best food in Vietnam. The Imperial citadel and tombs are amazing and can easily be visited by bike.

Yet another option is Phong Nha Ke Be, home to the largest cave system in the world. We visited by overnight train from Hue and then got another overnight train to Hanoi. Te train can save actual sightseeing time and is an experience in its own right. Not sure how the timing would work but if you did want to include Phong Nha, the train could take you all the way from Hue to Hanoi via Phong Nha, and Ninh Binh.

Some photos and detail of our travels in the country on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/vietnam/

I would spend some time with a guide book to see what ticks your boxes. There are some good online resources at Travelfish.org and seat61.com is great if you did want to consider train travel.

Happy planning..
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

This is enormously helpful. Thank you very much!
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 07:29 AM

Personally, Hanoi, Halong Bay, Ninh Binh and Hoian fit in 10 nights.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 03:29 AM

All those programmes miss the best, the mountains and peaks of the north of Vietnam (not tiny mountains, the summit of Mount Fan Si Pan, which overlooks Sapa, is at 3100 m altitude ; c&ble-cr to go up tehre)), with their rice-field terraces, its minorities and their so colorful markets. So, my advice of 12 years of life and travel in Vietnam is :

2 full days Hanoi
2 days cruise Halong Bay (or rather LAN HA BAY, Halon,g Bay has become a trash can !)
5 days UP SAPA (beautiful easy trekkings with nights in hometsays) and Bac Ha (3 hours eats of Sapa). Arrange to be in BH aFridat evening for the Saturday morning for the H'mong market of Can Cau and/or on Staurday night for the amazing Sunday morning big market of Bac Ha itself
Rest of the trip in TAM COC (Halong Bay onLand), at rightly-famous hotel VChez Loan). last day, Loan arranges a car to drive you straight to the airport
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!