Isaan/Udon Thani

Oct 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Isaan/Udon Thani

Any recommendations on hotels, sights, etc for Udon Thani and surrounding cities would be greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts on modes of travel between cities in Isaan, train? Bus? Thanks.
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Buses link all towns but I would suggest using a car+driver, at each place you stay just ask them to organise a car+driver for you, a real 'ball-park' price guide is very roughly B10 per km, so if you had a 200km trip, say 1,800-2,000, though that is just a rough guide. Don't expext same level of English that you would find in BKK or major resorts but you will be ok, good to see people getting into what can loosly be termed the 'real' Thailand, if you are into seeing Thailand away from the touristy places then you will enjoy, Buri Ram is very nice but I can't suggest a hotel there.
If you get up to Kohon Kaen don't miss staying at the excellent 'Sofitel', it's around $50 a night and has to be one of the best bargains for such a great hotel. In Udon Thani the Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel is about $32 twin, again, amazing value for a great hotel, if you get as far as Nong Kai the Royal mekong also around that price.
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Try this site for Buri Ram

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/pro.../buri_ram.html
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM

Typo: Should read Khon Kaen , you can fly from BKK to Khon Ken and Udon Thani in about 5o minutes, Thai and I think Thai Air Asia and maybe Nok Air also fly.
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:29 AM

I think it's fun when ya go when there is a lccal festial going on.. many people will welcome you too there homes too get stuppid drunk.. the rocket festials are fun and of course there is Songkran but you'll be Target #1.. and will end up drenched.

Issan is crazy hot it makes BKK seem like a fridge..

check out www.whatsonwhen.com or the oficial TAT website. for dates.
Oct 11th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JamesA and Orgy7. I've passed this info along to my brother who is leaving on Wednesday. 6 years ago he went to BKK and stayed on Khao San Road. This time, he's starting at the Shangri-la ($65 per night from Priceline). Thereafter, I suspect he will revert to form even though he will now be accompanied by his wife. I will be very interested to see how they enjoy Isaan. There's almost no info on that huge portion of Thailand on this board.
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:50 AM

obviously there is not that much info on issan on this forum since the Marriott and Peninsula groups havnt staked thier claims there yet..

there are many high end nature resorts which I see on the news but unfortunatly I never jot thier names down and I'm not too sure if they can cater too farang..

GPANDA.. actualy this is one of bkk/thailands dirty litle secrets.. Many men/and some couples actually take out bar girls/freelancers for a couple of days just too escourt them too issan and other destinations. they don't want or ask for sex. they just want too get too see the rural life which regular guides usually cant offer.
I'm not recomending anything..