Is OAT reliable or not?

Search

Is OAT reliable or not?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is OAT reliable or not?

We have been doing research on affordable tours for a relative who will turn 65 this year and wants to go on a small group trip (as a single) to celebrate. The OAT type of trip and price look ideal, but we are concerned having read several posts from Fodorites who have not had positive experiences in the reservation process (bumped, etc...). We also saw that the Better Business Bureau has revoked BBB membership for GCT (OAT's parent company) due to a pattern of complaints and a lack of effort to resolve them. We realize that every company is going to have an issue from time to time -- we are just trying to figure out whether it is a habitual problem with OAT/GTC. Can anyone shed light?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Yes, it is a habitual problem as has been so for a number of years. OAT/GTC recently wrote to International Travel News and said they would change their policy about overbooking, cancellations, etc. If I were you, I'd wait and see. Certainly their track record in the last few years is very poor.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Kathie - thanks for your reply. Are there other operators that you know of who are in the same price range that are better (we've looked at Elder Hostel, for instance, but the prices are nearly double OAT)? Thanks for any ideas!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Friendly Planet
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

jkgourmet - thanks for the suggestion of Friendly Planet. Unfortunately (or fortunately for them), many of their trips for this year are already sold out. Any other suggestions would be most welcome!
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM

We have no connection with either GCT or OAT. My wife and I are simply satisfied customers of both travel outlets. When we have had problems or complaints or suggestions, we have found both GCT and OAT to be completely cooperative, interested, and helpful. They have been reliable, knowledgable, and honest. We have traveled with them to Turkey, Peru/Galapagos Islands, Mexico, Australia, India, Thailand, and eastern Europe, so you might say we know what we are talking about from experience. We suspect there are some so-called pseudo-experts who like to complain and comment on subjects of which they are ignorant.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USNR. Despite your happy experiences, there are also those of us who have had actual bad experiences with OAT. I went to Thailand with them in 1997, and swore I'd never use them again (on the positive side it was an incentive to move to independent travel!). The guide was uninterested (and uninteresting) and spoke poor English. The trip was badly planned, with AC coach travel in the cooler mornings and outdoor sightseeing in the hotter afternoons. The hotels were out of town. The food was dumbed down for westerners until some of us complained, and not great thereafter. The paid-for business-class upgrades for the return flight only came through as we were actually boarding the flight. I don't know whether GCT is better or worse, but I have no interest in finding out.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM

OK, so you had a beef or two. What did you do about it? Did you complain? What happened then? Anybody can have problems. We have had ours, too. But GCT/OAT squared our beefs immediately and completely after looking into our complaints. Remember, a lot of companies (and not just GCT/OAT) deal through local intermediary travel companies and it is the these companies who let GCT/OAT down from time to time. But, on balance, we found GCT/OAT to be quite ethical. Second, we have done a great deal of overseas travel independently and with other companies. Some of our journeys have been magnificent. Others has been so-so. And others have been one disaster after another. We are old hands, having been to all continents except Antarctica. But, having lived for decades in Chicago, we've had all the cold weather we can stand, thank you very much.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, USNR, your experiences with OAT/GCT were not without problems? I did not have "a beef or two", I had a trip that was a case study in how not to run a tour. My initial intention was to write a letter of complaint, but then I realized that nothing OAT could have done would have made me feel better about the trip or willing to travel with them again - including a refund, and certainly including a future discount. I did at some point send them a note telling them to take me off their mailing list because the tour had been so bad, and received no reply. I believe (it was '97!) someone else on the tour complained, and may have eventually received some kind of apology. I think they were told the explanation for the business-class problem was that OAT had not actually reserved the seats but put us on some kind of standby for them, but had not told us that.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
pat

USNR, Have you looked at the better business bureau site for GCT/oat? Doesn`t sound like minor problems to me. Why take the chance going with a questionable outfit like them?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:24 AM

I have taken only one trip with OAT so far, and it was great! I went to Egypt with them in March 2005. I had also read some bad reports about the company, and was a little concerned, but took the chance anyway. Great guide, good rooms,food and tours.
I have booked a trip to Thailand based on what I heard about it, from people I met on this trip.They said they loved it.They went on that trip in 2004.The tour may have been improved since 1997.

To USNA,

I would love to hear more about your trip to India. I want to take that trip next year. I looked at some of your posts and didn't see a trip report.Anything you would care to share about your trip would be great. Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Dottie: I have a full report of our trip to India with OAT which you may have if you will list your e-mail address.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input everyone! We are thinking that perhaps our relative should try OAT, but just book on a trip that goes sooner rather than later (minimizing cancellation problems?). She is now also considering the OAT Vietnam trip. Has anyone taken this trip with OAT?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM

OAT offers an optional extension to Vietnam as part of its Thailand tour. Also, it has a Vietnam-only tour. We took the extension option when we went to Thailand with OAT. This included Hanoi and HaLong Bay. It was so interesting that we returned to Vietnam on our own, traveling from the Mekong delta all the way north to the border with China, in the mountains near Sapa. We were treated with the utmost care and courtesy everywhere we went, and we would recommend a visit to Vietnam to anyone. In our 70s, we found the journey to be fascinating but should be attempted only by persons in reasonably good physical condition. We found Vietnam offered a varieties of climates, from the steamy delta to the fogbound and chill northern highlands. Cambodia, when we went also as an OAT extension, was extremely humid and hot -- Angkor Wat and the adjoining temples are not to be missed.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:27 AM

WinterTravel,

Where did you find the information about the BBB revoking GCT's membership?

I've been considering an OAT trip and am interested in more info.

Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Winter, the cancellation problems with both companies have occurred sometimes just a couple of weeks before departure. One person reported being told that their trip was cancelled because there weren't enough people signed up, but they had originally been told they were lucky to get in because there had been a wait-list. So I don't know that sooner or later makes a difference. If your relative is retired, the date-switching might not be as much of a problem. Also, if the tour company is making the air reservations, I would hope they could also change them without penalty. Given the recent history of problems, I think the relaltive should only sign up for the tour if they are willing to put up with date changes, etc.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Good points by all -- it seems that going with OAT can be a great experience, though it is buyer-beware in terms of the possible date changes, etc... The info regarding the BBB membership issue was on the BBB website (GCT is located in MA, so I think it was on that BBB site). You can easily find the link by doing a Google search.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Luisah,
Here's a direct link to the BBB report - http://www.bosbbb.org/reports/reliab...sp?FirmId=3848
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM

To USNR,

I would love to read your trip report.

My email is: [email protected]

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Thanks Patty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -