Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it really the best of China? Does it make sense to have 3.5 additional days in Tibet for $1300 per person?

Search

Is it really the best of China? Does it make sense to have 3.5 additional days in Tibet for $1300 per person?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Lev
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My wife and I are planning to go to China in 2007. I found a company that offers a tour in China called 'The Best of China' with optional extension to Tibet for $1300 per person. My question:
Is it a good itinerary? Will we really see the best of China? Also, would you recommend taking an optional extension to Tibet? What time is better - to start the tour on Sept.4, Sept.18, Oct.2 or Oct.16?
You advice is highly appreciated.
Here is the itinerary:

Day 1 - 2: Shanghai. Visit Zhujiajiao, Shanghai's Venice, an ancient water town. Visit the Shanghai Museum of ancient Chinese art,Children's Palace, the Jade Buddha Temple, visit the Yu Garden, the Bund ( Zhongshan Road) waterfront.

Day 3: Shanghai & Yichang. Fly to Yichang. Embark the Yangtze River cruise ship.

Day 4: The Three Gorges Dam & Xiling Gorge. Sail through the Xiling Gorge, that comprises seven small gorges and two of the fiercest rapids in the stretch of the Yangtze between Chongqing and Yichang

Day 5: Shennong Stream, Wu Gorge & Qutang Gorge. Visit Shennong Stream Sailing to Wu Gorge. Continue sailing to Qutang Gorge.

Day 6: Ghost City of Fengdu. Visit the city of Fengdu, situated on the northern bank of the Yangtze River known as a "ghost city".

Day 7: Chongqing & Guilin. Arrive at Chongqing and disembark the cruise ship. Visit the museum named for Gen. Joseph Stillwell, Commander-in-Chief of the Sino-US forces in the China-Burma-India theater of WWII. Transfer to Chongqing Airport for the flight to Guilin. Upon arrival, visit the Reed Flute Cave

Day 8: Guilin. Watch Chinese art of Taiji, or "shadow boxing," known as Tai Chi. Cruise tour on the Li River to Yangshuo. Spend the afternoon in the town of Yangshuo, Return to Guilin.

Day 9: Guilin & Xi'an. Fly to Xi'an. Explore the Yangling tombs with human clay figures.
Attend the Tang Dynasty dinner show.

Day 10: Xi'an. Visit the site of the famous Terra Cotta Army, the City Wall, the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, the Tang Dynasty Arts Museum.

Day 11: Xi'an, Beijing & Temple of Heaven. Fly from Xi'an to Beijing, visit the Temple of Heaven, watch the Shaolin Kung Fu show.

Day 12: Great Wall of China & Ming Tombs. The Great Wall of China, the Ming Tombs.

Day 13: Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City & Summer Palace. Stroll along Tian'anmen Square, Forbidden City, the Summer Palace

Day 14: FLY BACK TO USA OR Beijing/Lhasa. Fly to Lhasa, capital of Tibet. Spend the rest of the day at leisure to acclimatize yourself to the extreme altitude of Lhasa.

Day 15: Lhasa. Exploration of Lhasa at the Potala Palace, winter palace of the Dalai Lama,the Red Palace. Visit the Mentsekhang, the largest traditional hospital in Tibet, visit to a carpet factory.

Day 16: Lhasa. Visit the Jokhang Temple Monastery, Bakhor Street.

Day 17: Lhasa/Tsedang. Depart for Tsedang. Visit Samye monastery

Day 18: Tsedang/Lhasa Airport/Beijing. Visit Yumbu Lhakang palace, visit Traduk Monastery. Fly to Beijing. Stay overnight in Bejing.

Day 19: Beijing/USA. Fly back to USA.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:33 AM

Hi - the "Best of China"? sort of depends, doesn't it, on what you enjoy doing and on what your interests are? It's an enormous place. Certainly your trip touches all the bases - Beijing, Xian, Guilin, etc. etc.

I personally wouldn't pay $1300US to go to Tibet for 2 days. It is a wonderful place - but what are you going to see in 2 days? Now if you had a week or more - and even better if you were going where you want to go when YOU want to go - for sure.

But if you want to do it - and have the money, and don't want to do it the independent way - then why not? As others have said - pretty obvious I would have thought - the earlier in the year the better.

If you do go, you will marvel, as I did, how folk can live in such harsh conditions - it's mightly cold there up on the plateau even in July.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, this is certainly "Best of China" in the minds of the people who organize tours. Just about every outfit that runs China tours has a version of this itinerary. But half a day to acclimatize to Tibet? I usually see recommendentations of at least two days. $1300 works out at $325/night, which seems high, but I suppose it includes the air fare?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Lev
Original Poster

Yes,
$1300 includes roundtrip airfare
Beijing/Lhasa and one extra night in Beijing but does the Tibet part of the itenerary cover the most interesting tourist attractions in Tibet?
Thanks. Lev.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM

My wife and I went to Tibet in Sept 2004. However we did it on our own though an agent in Beijing. I felt it as one of the highlights of the trip though I don't rate places usually as all of China was great. If you do go, see your doctor for some High Altitude sickness medication. Not everyone gets it but this can certainly help. get enough for a day here to make sure you don't have a reaction and at least an extra day in China as you need to take it the day before you go. Don't let this scare you off. WE really loved Tibet. See it now before it is totally changed with the new train acess to Tibet.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Jed

I would say that the China part looks good, and so does the Tibet part. So I would do it. What co. are you looking at?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 02:53 AM

Lev - your itinerary has 3 full days in Tibet - so the answer is obviously NO. Have you looked at the place on a map?
But it does again touch all the right buttons and it seems you will at least be getting out of the city.

It's just a personal thing - but apart from the Jokhang what for me made Tibet abidingly special was just wandering the streets, and travelling by road over the high passes and seeing (oh very superficially of course) how it was out in the country. And the further away you get from Lhasa ...

I'd go if that's the only way you can do it - just don't think that's all there is, and with respect, you won't get much more unless you have more time and are prepared to rough it a little.

Happy travels.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Lev
Original Poster

I really kind of hesitant to fly to Tibet for only around 3 days... When we get accustomed to extreme altitude, it will be time to fly back to Beijing… It may make more sense to find a travel company that covers all the places described in the itinerary (except Tibet) but adds Guangzhou area and Hong Kong?
What do you think?
Thanks. Lev.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM

For me a mere three days in Tibet would not be worth it. If you really want to see Tibet arrange a trip that allows you to spend some time there.

I'm not sure why you would want to visit Guangzhou - huge, industrial city with little to recommend it. And one really doesn't need a tour to see Hong Kong. You might ask for a three or four day extension in Hong Kong with just lodging provided.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Jed

We were in Tibet for 3 days and it was great. We were never coming back to that part of the world again, so it was sufficient, although one more day would have been OK. It really depends on what <b>you</b> would be satisfied with.

Indeed, it would make more sense to find a trip that includes Tibet, which would not make it so expensive.

We went with Uniworld on this trip http://www.uniworld.com/overview.asp?cruise_id=78

This was a group of 29 people, and only 2 had a problem with the altitude.

but there are many others, such as http://tinyurl.com/uf97n

Again, which company are you thinking of going with?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Lev
Original Poster

Hi Jed,
it is 'Friendly Planet'. Here is the link:
http://www.friendlyplanet.com/best-of-china.html
What do you think?
Is it a better deal than Uniworld?
Thanks. Lev.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Jed

To me, it looks very good. It is about the same price as PDT (when including Tibet), and includes Guilin. It is less expensive than Uniworld.

I don't know about Friendly Planet or the quality of their trips - hotels, guides, etc.

The main reason we picked Uniworld is that the itinerary was just what we wanted, with Tibet coming in from Chendu, which is close.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
pat

Friendly planet is a good company. However, they take larger groups, like up to 40 or so. Their hotels are good, and the food provided is good too, however, they do have a lot of optionals, which does drive up the price, so be sure and take that into consideration. They are a reliable company.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM

Suggest you look into the itineraries offered by China Plus. They have, I believe, a 22 day (20 nights) tour which spends 3 nights in Tibet. You can do Land Only if you prefer, and they limit their tours to 20 people. We used them in April and they were fantastic.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:57 AM

Hi, Lev-
I don't know if you've already decided, since this thread is a little old, but thought I'd weigh in just in case.

A friend and I spent two weeks in China in 2001 (arriving on Sept 11, in fact) and decided to extend into Tibet for three nights.

Our rationale was that we might never have the chance again, and a glimpse of it would be better than none.

We loved it, perhaps even better than Beijing/Shanghai/Chengdu (where we spent the rest of the trip).

It was a budget stretch for us at the time, and I will admit that I was just getting over the pounding altitude headaches the day we left Llhasa, but when I look back from six years later, it was worth every penny.

I wouldn't call it the best of china because it's culturally much different than most of China, but it was fascinating!

Let us know what you decide!