Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it GoodTime to Visit Philippines Now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2023, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I offended someone, but while all travel promoting sites are eager to promote Philippines, but newer YouTube sites sometimes discourage the visit especially if one has never been there before. COVID, traffic jam around Manila, corruption starting at the customs, overcharging by taxi or ride share drivers, rising cost of everything, and crimes are cited for the reasons. They claim Philippines have changed a lot for worse in the last few years, and it is no longer a cheaper country to travel. So for those who had been there many years ago would disagree with this.
Beautiful beaches are nice but I am not really into that but would like to learn their culture. I wonder if it is worth paying a visit if I have to start my visit dealing with overcharging taxi drivers in order to get to my first hotel in Manila and constantly watch my back while in the country.
Anyone visited the Philippines for the first time in the last few months? If so, what is your experience?
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 06:20 AM

I think you will not enjoy if youll stay in Manila. Though the neighboring cities are worth to visit and if you love to party. If you're willing to spend more dollars to enjoy the country, you have to book another plane to visit other cities like Bohol, Cebu, Davao, Boracay, Palawan, Siargao, etc. About safety, Davao is the 2nd safest cities in Asia though. Also, most attractions are beaches so I doubt you'll enjoy.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe I will skip Manila and start my tour from Cebu. I would like to visit Bohol, Palawan, Boracay. I have to look up Davao and Siargao to see if they are easy to access.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 03:35 PM

They are not easy to access, though. I hope you'll enjoy your visit.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:18 PM

Now is probably a good time since it is most likely off season there. Their summer, I believe is around April - May where you expect a lot of locals travelling as well.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your info. I think I will go to Cebu-ferry to Bohol- ferry back to Cebu- fly to Palawan- then move on.
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 05:40 AM

It's a good idea to start your travel in Cebu, you Bohol next also as they are near. And its a good time to travel the Philippines since its dry season, you'll enjoy most if not all the destinations in this kind of season.
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I am excited about visiting the islands.
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 03:26 AM

I visited most places in the Philippines last year after their COVID restriction has been lifted. Not to offend but It's good if you skip Manila since most things are expensive there. But if you happen to land on Manila airport going to your hotel, avoid the taxi since most of them are overcharging, you can use an app called Grab it's like an Uber. Cebu is a good start to explore, then a ferry ride from Cebu to Bohol and get another flight to Coron, Palawan. Not a good time to visit from June to December because of the rainy season and they have typhoons most of the time from those months.
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your info. I am excited to go there next week. Starting from Cebu. Thinking about flying from Cebu to Palawan that includes a long (8 hours) stop over in Manila so that I will get a chance to see Manila on a shuttle bus. Not sure yet.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by tominrm
Thank you for your info. I am excited to go there next week. Starting from Cebu. Thinking about flying from Cebu to Palawan that includes a long (8 hours) stop over in Manila so that I will get a chance to see Manila on a shuttle bus. Not sure yet.
If you have that much time, you may go to Venice Grand Canal to dine and shop or just sightseeing. It's only a 30-min drive from the airport.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for this suggestion. I hope there are shuttle bus that will take me to Venice Grand Canal.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 11:29 PM

I doubt it. The modes of transportation are taxis, motorcycle and/or you can just book a ride-hailing service thru Grab.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I see. I will soon learn because I just arrived in Cebu. Thank you.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 08:31 PM

Hope you're enjoying your stay. Just be careful in some areas in Cebu because there are still pickpockets, we met a lot of friendly locals and taxi drivers who told us to secure our belongings while walking the street in the city center.
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bunny2294
Hope you're enjoying your stay. Just be careful in some areas in Cebu because there are still pickpockets, we met a lot of friendly locals and taxi drivers who told us to secure our belongings while walking the street in the city center.
thank you for the tip. I will keep that in mind.
Old Mar 11th, 2023, 11:37 PM

In general, the best time to visit the Philippines is during the dry season, which runs from December to May. During this time, the weather is generally sunny and dry, making it an ideal time to enjoy outdoor activities and explore the many beautiful beaches and islands in the country.

That being said, the Philippines can be visited year-round, and the weather can vary depending on the region. Some areas may experience typhoons and heavy rains during the rainy season, which typically runs from June to November. It's always a good idea to check weather forecasts and travel advisories before planning a trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sanojdota3626
In general, the best time to visit the Philippines is during the dry season, which runs from December to May. During this time, the weather is generally sunny and dry, making it an ideal time to enjoy outdoor activities and explore the many beautiful beaches and islands in the country.

That being said, the Philippines can be visited year-round, and the weather can vary depending on the region. Some areas may experience typhoons and heavy rains during the rainy season, which typically runs from June to November. It's always a good idea to check weather forecasts and travel advisories before planning a trip.
Agreed! Saw a video of a foreigner who said "it was their worst trip ever" because it was raining throughout their trip. They didn't see it coming and should've done their assignment on checking the weather forecast before traveling to the Philippines. Though, they admitted that it was their fault.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by sanojdota3626

Good advice and that goes for anywhere really.
For one example my wife is from India but we would never dream of going in the summer there. it's brutal. OTOH Mind to late Nov. through mid February and suited us quite well.

Do your weather homework before you go.