Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it difficult to bring 'knock off' bags back into US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a few for personal use?
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:57 AM

US Customs' website say we are allowed one piece of counterfeit of each type. If you bring a few, you may have problems, but I've never heard of it here or elsewhere for personal use.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:18 PM

my bags never get looked at...but if they did...they might confiscate the bags as they should...when entering the us in hawaii a few years ago the agent asked us specifically if we had any counterfeits....

the web site says "you can have one counterfeit"....see what government is coming too....W is so weak!!!!
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 07:21 PM
JohnWM

But why would you want to buy them while overseas? For gosh sakes, come to New York instead, and visit the corner of Broadway and W. 44th Street in the Times Square/Theater District. Vendors are there every day of the week from about 2 or 3pm until about 11pm. The going price is only $5, sometimes $10 for seasonal numbers. Welcome to New York; happy shopping.

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 11:26 PM

You buy them there because they're so much cheaper and in most cases, the quality is better. I'm still kicking myself for not stocking up on knock-offs when I was in China recently, especially the DVD's!

In regards to Customs, this seems to be a hit and miss thing depending on maybe what airport you're flying back in to, and how the Customs people are feeling that day. Definitely no consistency whatsoever. We had a few knock off bags and some DVD's and we walked through without a second glance.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Are you absolutely 100% serious when you say the U.S Customs website says you actually 'can' bring in 1 item of counterfeit goods for personal use ?

I ask this becaue the U.S has been at the forefront of those countries forcing an end to counterfeit goods being produced, it would be 'staggering' therefore to then find that they actually officially 'allow' one item.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:29 AM

JamesA - I had the same thought as you do when I first learned about the one-item rule on this forum. But I looked up the US Customs website and really saw it.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Do you suppose the ruling is for those few gullible people who don't realize they are buying a copy of something??
Carol
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:14 AM

rkkwan, that is 'truly amazing', there has been such a purge on these goods over the past few years and so much pressue came from 'certain places'
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM

That's just another example of inconsistency when it comes to Customs and what you can and cannot bring back into the country. If this such a big deal, WHY the heck don't they check for it then????
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have found the customs officials never check anything, at least not me. I hand them my card and they say "welcome home" and wave us on. Doesn't matter if I'm coming into JFK, LAX, SFO etc. The only time I was ever questioned was when I brought a Thai Spirit House back, and I'm sure it was because the box was huge. The customs person sent us to another customs guy, who asked what was in the box. I told him and he asked what a spirit house was (as if he didn't know--these guys know what everything is). I explained to him what it is and he asked me what it's worth. I told him I had no idea but that I paid $50 for it, which was the truth, bought it when the Baht was in a free fall back in '97 or '98. He just said okay, never asked to see it and that was that.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Of course, now that I've opened my big mouth, I'll probably get checked every time I come home from now on! Never say never...
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM

I knew someone who was bringing back a set of fake Callaway golf clubs and was stopped by the customs officer. After some pleading, the officer let him take one club with him!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Regardless of customs regulations, I hope you will reconsider purchasing counterfeit items. These products have been repeatedly linked to organized crime, drug trafficking, and even international terrorism, according to Interpol. Moreover, counterfeiters do not honor child labor, anti-sweat shop, and environmental legislation. Is is really worth it to save a few dollars on status labels?
http://www.interpol.com/Public/ICPO/...3/PR200319.asp
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Perhaps if these designers would lower the price of their bags more people could afford to buy the real thing instead of opting for the knockoffs! But then again I suppose at that point the bags would not be in demand!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Bill-- there are plenty of well made "original" bags that are reasonably priced. Personally I'd rather have one of them then a badly made fake. I just don't see the point. Nor, I may add, can I afford the originals but who cares.

I'm in the same position as Laurie in never having been asked to show anything.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:43 AM

anything can be linked too anything. you often geet name brand items linked too child labor.

argh, international terrorism. Now thats using some scare tactics and if your going too link me buying a fake SIMPSONS dvd too the Colombian FARC .then ya better believe I can link any of your lagit items too some terrist group.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 05:51 AM

I agree with Orgy- lets dispense with the terrorist/child labor/drug cartel angle on this topic- I don't think its going to hold much water. Like I have always said the kncokoffs supply a nitch demand. No designers will be on the bread lines anytime soon. For those that want the real deal its available, for those that want the fakes they are out there as well.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Totally agree with you Bill!!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help - next question, do I just list them as 'accessories' on my customs form?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -