Search

Is boat shuttle at Marriott a hassle?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is boat shuttle at Marriott a hassle?

Hi everyone,
I've posted this message under Kaley1kt's question on bangkok hotels but thought I should start a new message as well.

My husband and I going to Bangkok for the first time in December and have been reading what people have written on this site. Like Kaley1kt, I am relatively new to this board. I am a little confused of the location of the Marriott Resort & Spa. Is the shuttle boat service the only means to get to the nearest Skytrain? Won't this be a bit of an inconvenience and hassle after a while (waiting for the boat service, getting on the boat, taking the boat ride, getting off the boat, walking, taking the skytrain to your destination, etc.). We will only be in Bangkok for 3 days and want to be able to quickly get back to the hotel if need be during the day for a quick change of clothes, nap, etc. without wasting a lot of time getting back and forth to and from the hotel. Will the Marriott still be appropriate for us? BTW, has anyone stayed at the Sofitel Silom? We are also thinking of staying here since it will avoid the boat shuttle hassle. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Opinions on this vary. Some people find getting on the boat to be a respite from the heat and the chaos with the cool towels and cold water. Some peole find it's a hassle. Individual differences.

I would highly recommend that you stay on the river for a first stay in Bangkok. I believe it will make a huge difference in how you feel about Bangkok. If you want to be right next to the Skytrain and the water taxi stop, the best hotel is the Shangri-La. The other, closer in river hotels (Royal Orchid, Pen and Oriental) are a short boat ride away from the Skytrain. I always stay at the Royal Orchid, and I don't find the water taxi to the Skytrain to be a hassle. But if I was really concerned about it, I'd opt for the Shangri-La.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Don't worry too much. Many have said that the boat ride is a pleasant break from sightseeing. BKK can be overwhelming. We've taken to going out in the morning, eating lunch out on our adventures and returning to the hotel around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. BKK is not like Europe. You do not want to cram in as many activities as possible. As Kathie said, only the Shangri-la of the river hotels provides direct access to the skytrain.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I think it really depends on what you want to do during your 3 day stay. You will accomplish less than you think because Bangkok is so spread out. If shopping and dining out are priorities, access to the skytrain is important. If you plan on sightseeing mostly, the skytrain won't do you much good. With the exception of the Jim Thompson house, most of the sites that first-timers want to visit are not near the skytrain. I agree that being on the river is important for someone visiting for the first time. Using the Marriott shuttle boat service will be slightly inconvenient, especially if you plan to return to the hotel more than once a day. The Marriott is located a bit south of the other major hotels - the Peninsula, the Oriental, the Royal Orchid Sheraton and the Shangri La. Of these, the Peninsula is the only one located on the same side of the river as the Marriott. When we stayed at the Penn, we noticed that the Penn shuttles ran with about twice the frequency of the other hotels. You may want to plan your days as Gpanda has suggested. It might be worth to hire a driver for sightseeing on one or two days. There are several that have been recommended on this forum. You will almost certainly be visiting the Grand Palace. You will want to get there when it opens at 8:30 AM - from the GP, you can visit Wat Po and Wat Arun (via the cross-river ferry). There is also a colorful flower market nearby. Depending on what else you are doing in SE Asia, you may want to take a day trip from Bangkok to Ayuttya and the Bang Pa In summer palace or to the floating market. From the Marriott dock, you should be able hire a boat and driver to take you on an afternoon klong tour - 2 hours would be about the right amount of time for this.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Then stay at the Four Seasons and you'll be able to get around easily in the amount of time you have. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM

it has been well said above....

staying on the river provides a different perspective to bkk...a nicer one quite honestly...

the sofitel is nicely situated on silom but not all that near the skytrain as i remember....it is a mid level hotel...

we find that we use taxis as much if not more than the skytrain in order to keep cool during our entire travel....getting to the skytrain often means climbing up one or two flights of stairs, which in itself is not a problem, until you add the heat and humidity...few stops have elevators or escalators and all stops are elevated above ground level at least one story if not 2 or 3....

marriott is a 12 minute boat ride from the end of the skytrain....we often return there once during the day, but not more often....well maybe twice if you count the end of the day before dinner...
we find the boat ride an excellent experience....coming back they now offer chilled towels to cool you down and wipe away the city grime and cold bottled water...i think they are the only hotel to do this....the ride is very pleasant, except in a windy rain storm (although they do have side curtains)...there is always a breeze and you really get to see all the river activity close up, inclunding houses, businesses, floating cargos of all kinds, other boats, etc...

we take taxis and the boat to the marriott....the two bridges to that side of the river frequently have back-ups so it can take up to 10 minutes to cross them, but you really don't care in a taxi....its cool....usually we take the boat to the skytrain....then take it to near where we want to go and then take another taxi to where we need to go....taxis are so cheap that you don't even think about it....we often take them 3-4 blocks just to avoid the heat...we like to arrive coolish...
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:50 AM

getting around in bkk is very slow on the surface and the way to speed that us is to use the skytrain...things you want to visit are always at the opposite end of the city and it takes time to get from one to another....

you need to organize your time...plan and then add extra time for connections..

for this reason with only 3 days a one or two day hire of a driver and or guide might work well for you...

cherry, ratt and tong are often spoken of on fodors...

btw, we will be having a mini GTG during the first week december in bkk....we would love to have you join us....gpanda and i and maybe kurosake and orgy may attend, plus others...if you are interested let me know at [email protected]
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Everyone on this site is sooooo nice and helpful (much friendlier than on the Thorn Tree - Lonely Planet chatroom). Also thanks to rhkkmk for the invite to the get-together. I'll have to see how much we plan to do and see if there is any time left for the get-together. rhkkmk, may I ask how many times you've been to BKK? I've read postings/answers by you, Kathie and a few others and it's quite obvious that you guys are really into BKK and know so much about it. We live in Canada and it's such a long trip there. How do people make time (get the time?) to go so often? Do you guys just prefer to always return to BKK over other destinations? BKK must be so fabulous if that is the case.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Another great place to stay that is right near the river and also the skytrain is the Center Pointe Silom serviced apartments.

We stayed there in Feb. and loved it! Very convenient to transport, great views from the upper floors, nice buffet breakfast and the 1 bedroom apartment was HUGE!

There is also a big department store and grocery store along with a few restaurants right in the building. We would stock up on drinks and snacks at the grocery store and we had a full size refrigerator. Perfect for those tall bottles of beer!

You can see my photos of the room at www.windjammer.smugmug.com. Just go the the "Thailand and Cambodia accomodations" album.

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Haliburton33
You've gotten good advice here! I'm getting ready to make my 10th trip to BKK (alone for the first time) the last week of August/first week Sept. I'm soooo looking forward to it.

I've stayed along the river several times, at the Pen and Oriental. I'm going to try the Marriott this time. I have taken the shuttle boat once, just to ride down to Bob's (rhkkmk) home away from home to have a look. It really does look like an oasis in the middle of a big city!

I have also stayed in serviced apartments from about $20 to $85+ a night. This is what I've come to prefer, because I like the space and I like having a fridge and microwave and cooking facilities. For a stay that is longer than three or four days, it really can't be beat. I'll be moving to an apartment nearer to shopping after staying at the Marriott two nights. I have also come to prefer the area along Sukhumvit and the shopping malls rather than the riverside. But, that said, for a first-timer, you really should opt for the river!

Have a great time. BKK is a fantastic place to visit. It isn't Europe in any way, shape or form... (in my opinion) I love Europe also. But Asia is much more exotic and fascinating, and the people are so very friendly and helpful in Thailand.

Carol
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Lots of us love Bangkok and use it as our entry to other areas of SE Asia. I've been to Bangkok 20-some times. I love SE Asia and have used Bangkok as a jumping off point to visit other places in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, VN, Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal, etc.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I can't get enough of you guys. You guys are ALL so great. On this trip, my husband and I are going to BKK, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap and HK. I've been to HK several times but all these destinations wil be the first for my husband. I was actually born in Vientiane, Laos but was whisked away to Canada shortly after my first bday. My husband says this is my "heritage" trip and I'm so looking forward to it. I'm glad to read how so many people love to travel to SE Asia. I'm just trying to read up on people's comments as much as I can (here and on Lonely Planet) so I know what to expect. I actually read somewhere on Thorn Tree that I will probably get dirty looks from women in BKK (because I'm Asian and my husband is Caucasian so I may be mistaken for a lady of the night although I definitely do not dress like one!). At least I'll know before going and if I do get dirty looks, I won't wonder why people don't seem to like me there!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! That's so exciting to be doing a "heritage" trip! Congratulations!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Welcome to the forum...and yes, it's much friendlier/mature and informative on this forum than over on ThornTree. I was a regular on ThornTree, but got fed up. Those of us regulars, over here, do indeed love Bangkok and some of us ...me included... plan to live there part of the year in the future. I've been vacationing there once or twice a year since the 90s. Have a great trip. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I agree this is a GREAT place to get honest information esp about BKK. My husband and I are returning next Jan (07)for a whole month and this will be our 3rd trip to BKK in 4 years. I am so excited to be going back and simply love just about everything about it there. The people are one of Thailands main assets. We always stay at least a few days at the Marriott on the River and also find the boat ride to be very restful, relaxing and cooling especially after a long hot day of exploring. We also agree it's a very very long trip (from Chicago) but we are fortunate that I've got lots of frequent AA miles and was again able to book us in Business. I'm not sure I could hack that long a trip in coach.
I wish you both a truly wonderful visit to BKK.
Sue
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Well, with only three days, it's a tough call. We spent our three days at the Marriott and although we loved the hotel and didn't mind the boat ride, I do think the isolated location hindered our ability to get out and see and do as much as we had wanted to, especially in regards to restaruants in the evening. Next time, I will probably stay in town or split my time between a more central location and the river.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:19 PM

I would say if you only have three days you might want to consider a more centrally located hotel. Unless shopping is your major focus for the three days I would definitely stay on the river -- it gives you the best feel of Bangkok. I would also strongly recommend that you hire a driver for at least part of your stay.

For hotels in the general price range of Marriott I would probably go with the Shangrila or Royal Orchid. If you plan on taking the skytrain go with the shangrila.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM

to answer your questions, this will be our 10th thailand trip in 11 or 12 years...12 i think...one year we went twice..

we go elsewhere as well...we just spent 3 weeks in southern france and tuscany...london and rome are on the docket for a trip in march '07....

we live in boston so have as bad a flight as do you...we go coach.. your FF miles will almost provide you with a domestic flight upon your return, btw..

we schedule our time off very carefully to allow these trips...that is my wife does...i am semi-retired...

this upcoming trip is 5 weeks with an 11 day quick introduction trip to india in the middle...

centre point silom is a nice place to stay as are the other serviced apartments in bkk, of which there are many....you get much more room than just a hotel provides...it is also right next to the skytrain and the shangri-la hotel...many provide a daily breakfast as well...

like others we use bangkok as a base...we have been to malaysia, singapore, bali, myanmar, viet nam, laos, and cambodia from bkk, using it as our base...but our favorite remains thailand and especially bangkok!!

prices are rising in bkk so it will be interesting to see what the next few years bring...it may price some people out of the market...thailand goes out of its way to make the country comfortable for tourists...

if you stay over in the sukhumvit area, you are more likely to get odd looks because of your mixed heritages...ignor them ...

as to the comment about the marriott's location limiting your ability to go out for dinner, we do not see it that way...i suspect that we have stayed maybe 100+ nites at the marriott, and so far have only eaten dinner there 15 times or less....we just jump in a taxi and go where we want or take the boat to taskim and grab the skytrain or a taxi there....bkk is a restaurant city!!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:56 PM

i guess to answer your first question: the boat is a hastle if you allow it to be....we think of it as one of the most positive experiences in bkk...
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Original poster...don't worry about possible strange looks and please do go to Sukhimvit area. I stay in an apartment building there and love that area. I'm African American and get looks all the time and almost everywhere in the world I've travel to over the last 3-plus decades. I just ignore it and keep on going. I get really curious looks on the skytrain. Happy Travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -