info on slik road

Old Aug 15th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
info on slik road

I am planning a trip to china in late august .I am looking for information on the silk road ,weather ,and don't miss sites.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 02:54 AM

I just saw a book at Barnes & Noble called Silk Road. It was in the travel essays section. Might be worth a look!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:54 AM
sandi

I came across a great website with tons of information on the Silk Road - there are about 7 of them - running thru Asia, the Middle East, to Africa.

Just went to look to see if it was on my "favorites" - but it's not. Sorry. But I believe, if you do a search thru Google or Yahoo, something should come up with lots and lots of great information.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:25 AM

Do you mean the Silk Road limited to China, or the whole thing through Asia? If the latter is the case, have a good look at the visiting possibilities are in Uzbekistan. It is an unbelievably rich country, all related to the Silk Road, with cities like Khiwa, Bukhara and Samarkand (from W to E). But, again, I do not know whether you are not rather thinking of strictly China .
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:39 AM

I recommend a tour if you are going beyond China (and I include the Autonomous Region as "beyond").

The distances are immense and you will want to have travel secure, I think.
You could do it by public transportation and perhaps you speak Chinese and would enjoy it - I don't know you.

In the West, the Russians poured a lot of money into restoring historic architecture. We found most of this stunning but sometimes sterile. The human presence was slight, at least what we saw.

Read, The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk for a fascinating look at the region's history. Have a great time.