Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Info on Beijing's Hong Kong Macao Center?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:35 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me about the area around the Hong Kong Macao Center and the Swissotel? Are there any interesting sites/shopping within walking distance? The map shows that there is a subway stop there. Also some of the streets on the inside of the 2nd ring road near the HKM Center have hutong in their name. Are these some of the interesting little allyways you read so much about? They are some distance from the Forbidden City. Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:48 AM
cwn
Original Poster

I just saw a post about the Ya Xiu market near the Workers' Stadium. What type of items does this market have? Is it close to the Hong Kong Market Center? Where exactty? I can't locate it on the Lonely Planet map.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:04 PM
cwn
Original Poster

TTT
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 09:43 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Still looking for information. Thanks
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Just back from Beijing.
Not much to see around Swissotel, except some theaters at Poly Plaza and acrobatics show next to Poly Plaza.

But the subway (with stop right outside Swissotel) can take you to most sights/shopping within 15 minutes. Try to make use of subway as far as you can to avoid to traffic jam.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks! Where is Poly Plaza. Is it walking distance? Have you seen the acrobatics show. I always injoy those shows when they come to Houston. I guess the hotel can get tickets for Sunday if we want. We thought the subway was near by and were planning to use it some.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:52 PM

Poly Plaza is just aross the street (north) from Swissotel (but you need to use the tunnel to cross the road). On the map, it may called a slightly different name (Poly Building, Poly Theaters, etc) because it's a complex with different buildings on the same site.

Regarding the show, I watched the one at Universal Theater (one block north of Poly Plaza). The show was a bit below my expectation with a few mistakes happened during the show. Other than that, it's fine with inexpensive tickets starting from Rmb100 to 200. You can easily get tickets from the theater (pretty close to Swissotel).
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:46 AM

the hutongs inside the second ring road are now demolished and high rise construction is under way.
Ya Xiu is an indoor 4 story market, much like Hong Qiao in terms of availability...fake bags in the basement, clothing on 1st 2nd 3rd floors and pearls, --quite inferior in quality and quantity-- an another floor. Fabric and tailors as well.

Alien street (indoor home to many vendors in the former/demolished Ya Bao lu-Russain Market) is also nearby. Ask hotel to write it in Chinese ao Fan Jie

you can walk to Poly Plaza.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 11:16 PM

don't know why a smiley came up in my post. Alien street is Lao Fan Jie