INEXPENSIVE INNOCULATIONS

Sep 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

INEXPENSIVE INNOCULATIONS

Can anyone recommend a place in the NYC/Westchester area where one can get Hep A and other basic travel shots and Meds for India for a low price? After calling ad infinitum and finally reaching a travel clinic in New Rochelle I found the prices to be exhorbitant. The health Depts. don't give shots and referred me back to my doctor. A number of pharmacies didn't seem to want to be bothered, and everyone told me that these things would't be covered on health insurance.
Help!
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:13 AM
sandi

JudySue - YES, innoculations and meds can be expensive, but as I've posted previously, you should be able to get the Hep A from your general physician, along with Tetanus, Polio Booster. I don't know what other innoc you need, but with exception of the above - Yellow Fever and maybe Thyphoid (if you need these) can be obtained from a Travel Clinic.

Most hospitals have such travel med clinics affiliated with their facilities. Prior to my finding a clinic affiliated with a hospital (Cornell in Manhattan), prices were ranging from $100-$150 just for Yellow Fever - at the hospital travel clinic it was $85, though I'm sure prices have increased over the years.

If you belong to an HMO, your doctor "can work with you" by entering the code for "updating preventive meds" - Hep A, Tetanus & Polio - are good for 10-yrs. and even when at home serve to protect individuals, so that's "good medicine". If the physician marks anything about "travel", the HMO will balk in paying.

If you don't belong to a managed health care plan and pay as you go, then you have to pay whatever the doctor charges.

As far as malaria meds, your doctor should be able to write the script for Malerone. If with an HMO, you'll only be responsible for the co-pay dictated by your drug plan, otherwise, you'll have to pay directly and this can run $100+ - check with various pharmacies in your area for best price.

It's unfortunate that you have an entire trip planned and probably paid for and then realize you need innocs/meds and only too late learn how much you have to pay. This information should be ascertained ahead of time so you know what the true costs of your trip will be.

Hope this info helps.

Sep 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!
I found a travel clinic at what used to be called New Rochelle Hospital on Glover Johnson Place - The Goldstein Pavilion - 2nd floor. The doctor's name is Dr. Lederman. I have an appointment for tomorrow. They have an initial charge of $75; the Hep A is $60 and the Tetanus is $15. This sounds like the best I'll get. Perhaps this will be helpful to others.
What you say is true. I have learned that there are MANY hidden charges when you book a trip. Luckily there is no problem for me except another in my pocketbook!
Sep 18th, 2003, 06:50 PM
sandi

JudySue -
Glad you made a connection for your innoculations. Most hospitals have travel medicine resources available.

Re the Hep A - there is now a combined A&B, so check if you are getting only the A or the combination.

A is for food borne (someone not washing hands); while the B is the sexually transmitted type.

Enjoy your holiday.

Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I feel like I am getting to be a travel innoculations expert. I located, after many calls to health departments all over, a travel clinic in Pomona, NY (Rockland County) that only operates Monday mornings. Had to make an appointment well in advance, but they will give me the Hep A shot for $35 plus a $30 fee = $65.00. This is the least I was able to find. I'm sure they would be able to give other innoculations, as well. If anyone is interested let me know.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:09 PM
sandi

Glad you got it taken care of.

Fortunately there's something to learn regardless what destination one plans to visit. All the more reason we all get as much info "up front", so no surprises last minute.

Have a great trip.

Search this Thread