India Trip January 2006

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India Trip January 2006

Hi
India Trip January 2006 - Mumbai

Long awaited trip to India for myself,husband and 14 year old daughter.

Decided to book with Compass Tours due to the fact that we were keen to visit cities in North and South India and they streamlined our tours accordingly.
We visited Mumbai,Goa,Bangalore,Cochin,Alleppey,Chennai,Delhi ,Agra,Jaipur and Udaipur.

With 23 touring days,8 internal flights, pre-arranging hotels,drivers,tour guides and sightseeing was definitely the best option.

Compass arranged meet and greet representatives in all the cities we visited and they were extremely professional - maintaining contact with us throughout the holiday.

8 internal flights may sound daunting but they were generally short flights and we became expert at hauling our bags through the myriad of check-out points.
Obviously, this flying schedule may not suit all travellers. We experienced 1 flight delay due to fog but that was a minor hiccup.

Mumbai - January 2nd
Arrived in the early hours of the morning and were pretty shocked to find the airport so busy.
Checked into our hotel but rose early because we decided to indulge in some retail therapy.
Mumbai is a hectic bustling city and the traffic requires some adjustment for the new traveller. One soon becomes accustomed to the hooting - its the norm but everything moves and that is the uniqueness of the city.
Mumbai has its share of high end malls and boutiques but the markets are where the real bargains are to be found especially Crawford market - a veritable warren of shops in narrow alleyways and passages.
You can purchase anything and everything under the sun here - food,clothes,jewellery,spices etc.
Being jostled and elbowed is part of the fun and our purchases of silk salwar kameezes, bags and junk jewellery were well worth it. My daughter simply loved the market atmosphere - this is the real Mumbai where you meet and talk to the humblest,friendliest people.
Mumbai - January 3rd
Visited Gateway to India(commemorating the arrival of King George V and Queen Mary in 1911 - very busy with lots of hawkers and people milling around. The beautiful Taj Hotel with its grey and white domed architecture overlooks Gateway.
Mani Bhavan - Mahatma Gandhi lived here for 17 years and it houses a library, historic photos and a wonderful display(paper mache models) of the turning points of his life.
Drove past Juhu beach where many Bollywood stars have their homes.
The Jain Temple has decorative solid steel doors and its ceiling is beautifully painted
with hindu deities and scenes. Not to be missed.
Dhobi Ghats - open air washing of laundry by men at concrete vats full of soapy water. Our guide informed us that although they wash thousands of items of clothes they rarely make mistakes when returning the laundry to their owners. Makes absorbing viewing as they beat the clothes incessantly and wring them out to dry - also a wonderful photo opportunity.
Had a wonderful lunch at the Khyber. My daughter also enjoyed a wonderful sweet lassi drink.
hope I have not been too long winded in my descriptions.
Next stop - Goa. Will post my report soon.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Looking forward to it anom!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Glad you liked Mumbai. It's a fabulous city and Crawford Market is a brilliant place to shop, especially in January when the heat is not oppressive! Did you get to the Prince of Wales Museum? It's fascinating too!

Keep posting!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi
India trip continued:
Goa - January 4th – brief early morning flight from Mumbai. Sweltering heat.

Checked in at Goan Heritage Resort (Calangute Beach).- friendly staff. The decor of the hotel is typical of many in Goa reflecting the colonial Portuguese influences (very pretty setting and a stones throw from the beach. The beach was full of sun-worshippers and a few were having head and back massages from the local Goan women. How fortunate?

We did not require sightseeing in Goa from the travel agency.

Relaxed and later had lunch at a beach shack.
Visited the famed Anjuna market (Wednesdays only) in the late afternoon.
The market has a vibey, hip atmosphere and one need not shop but simply soak up the scene. Purchased funky little pants and tops(made from silk saree material) for my 3 year old daughter.
Anjuna traders are from the 4 corners of India as reflected in the wares on display -Rajasthani jewellery,Kashmiri shawls etc.

January 5th - rose early and hired a driver (Danish) for the day.
Danish was a mine of information regarding loal culture and traditions. He farms rice when the
tourist season is over. The Goanese people are welcoming towards tourists because it is the lifeblood of the economy.
He drove us around his village. The roads are narrow and winding but we were afforded an opportunity to see rural Goan life, visited a temple, passing rice paddy fields and even stopping to speak to local people.
Many hindu homes have a pillar with a tulsi tree at the front - a focal point for religious activities.
A few homes even had Christms nativity displays at the front of their homes - very pretty.

Drank fresh coconut juice at a roadside stall - very refreshing.
Loved the way the vendor lopped of tops of the coconuts with a flourish and quickly inserted the
straws.

Stopped at Baga Beach with its powdery, white sands and watched fishermen hauling in their morning catch of king prawns. Lots of beguiling little children selling multicoloured plastic earrings - daughter bought a few to take home as gifts.

We then spent an hour trudging up the Vagator Fort. The climb was tiring but the sweeping beach vistas at the top made it all worthwile.

Ended the day in Old Goa - 16th century St Catherines cathedral, Archeological Museum (enjoyed viewing the huge paintings of Portuguese viceroys)and the Basilica of Bom Jesus (tomb of St Francis Xavier - unique because his body has not decomposed)

Goa is so interesting because of its colonial heritage and its picturesque beaches. It has a unique blend of Portuguese history, cosmopolitan Europe and Konkani culture.
I’ve heard complaints that most Goan beaches are too crowded and “touristy”.
The Goanese people are not complaining and appreciate the revenue tourism brings.
I certainly enjoyed my 2 days in Goa and hopefully will return for a longer holiday.

Next stop - Bangalore
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi
Lyndie
Prince of Wales Museum has a beautiful facade but unfortunately did not tour the inside.
cheers
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 02:50 PM

try to see P of W museum on your next trip! Cheers to you.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM

anom wrote: "The Goanese people are not complaining and appreciate the revenue tourism brings."

Well, I am a Goan (not "Goanese&quot and here's my say - of course, the small number who directly benefit from tourism won't be complaining. The rest of the people do. A surfeit of tourism is a nuisance, it places pressure on the environment, stretches infrastructure which in many instances wasn't designed to handle the rush of tourists in the first place, disrupts local life, results in higher costs of living and so on.

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Hi agtoau. I'm inclined to agree with some of your post, however many of us, in many countries suffer the effect of too many tourists and the challenges they bring with them because of the major benefits they bring to our respective countries! They provide jobs & bring foreign investment & often improve conditions for locals.

In one coastal town where I lived, from 1997-to 2003, the beach was full of plastic bottles & garbage after every holiday season and the local residents could not park anywhere near the shops & amenities. Property prices doubled! It happens everywhere! Not just Goa.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM

Lyndie,

The difference is that Goa (like the rest of India) does not have the kind of planned infrastructure and systemic facilities that are the norm in the touristy towns in much of the West. As a consequence, the quality of life for locals tends to rapidly degrade to a far greater and severe extent than in similarly placed towns in the West. The random, directionless explosion of tourism related activities in Goa have turned counterproductive. You might have already seen posts here on Fodors from Westerners who recommend skipping Goan beaches in favour of Kerala. Imagine, in a span of a mere two decades, some of the prime beaches in Goa have gone from virgin and unspoiled to avoidable.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi
agtoau

Appreciate your input

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info, agtoau, however I believe it's a worldwide issue, not specific just to Goa.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

India Trip report continued – January 2006

Next stop – Bangalore

January 6th – Bangalore - early am flight from Goa.
Introduction to Bangalore – vibrant and busy with lots of motorcycles, scooters, auto rickshaws etc.

Bangalore city reflects the old (colonial buildings) and towering super modern buildings.
The women weave jasmine flowers into their hair – it is so pretty and striking against jet black hair.
City tour:
Lalbagh Botanical Gardens: rambling park with a glass house for horticultural shows.

Bull temple: Small 16th century temple with the Nandi bull at the rear of the temple. Applications of oil and charcoal maintain the black colour of the bull – it is also draped with jasmine flowers.
Bought jasmine flowers and coconut from the pavement sellers and prayed inside the temple.

Viewed the ISKON temple from the outside (architecture is a mixture of high tech and old temple style)

Maharajas palace: The 25th Wadiyar Maharaja resides here and the buildings are undergoing renovations. Looks like a British castle with its turrets and climbing ivy on the exterior walls.
That evening, the Maharajah was hosting a rally for a local political party on the front lawn so the gardens were a mess of scaffolding and cables.
The Maharaja is currently involved in the fashion industry and we saw men intricately embroidering silks in a side room.
Lots of beautiful antiques and bronzes in the hallways and ballrooms.

January 7th – Excursion to Mysore.

En route to Mysore visited the Janapada Loka Folk Arts Museum. The museum showcases
Karnatakan history (puppets, masks, wooden sculptures etc)
My daughter enjoyed the museum and we were fortunate enough to watch a school choir performing a few Malyalam songs.
Srirangapatnam
Tippu Sultans Summer palace: (Haider Ali and his son Tippu Sultan ruled here in the 18th century)
Interesting place to visit( war memorabilia,paintings etc). The building is made of teak with manicured gardens on acres of land.
It was a sweltering hot day but the interior was very cool. A highly detailed mural depicting Haider Ali’s victory over the British in 1780 dominates a huge wall in the museum.
The Sriranganathaswamy temple was a highlight. The temple was built in the tenth century and it houses a reclining Vishnu deity.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:53 PM

I hope you will have time to continue your trip report. India is in our tentative plans for later this year or early 2007.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi katt58
I shall certainly try but I do have a long way to go. Made lots of notes in my travel notebook and am now trying to transcribe my hastily and rather illegible handwriting into Microsoft Word.
cheers
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

India Trip January 2006
Excursion to Mysore continued ....
The roads between Bangalore and Mysore are very busy with the usual animal and vehicular traffic.
Stopped briefly outside the gates of the Bangalore cocoon market. Bangalore is a major producer of silk and the market appeared to be a hive of activity as the traders shout animatedly to each other in Malyalam.

We passed innumerable small villages and farms growing sugar cane and mangoes. The landscape is quite green and lush.

Mysore:
Mysore – important for its sandalwood,incense and Mysore silk sarees.
Stopped for lunch at Hotel Sandesh de Prince as we were thirsty and hungry after the journey from Bangalore. The restaurant is large with a huge video screen showing excerpts from
Bollywood movies. My husband and I ordered traditional south Indian vegetable and chicken dishes – very well prepared. My daughter settled on spaghetti neopolitana (unusual choice in a south Indian eatery) which she pronounced very tasty.

Chamundi Hills
The ascent to the Chamundi Hills is panoramic and our driver stopped frequently as my daughter photographed Mysore city from several vantage points.

Quick stop at the wonderful 12th century Chamundershwari temple where a queue of several hundred devotees snaked its way around the buildings. The entrances leading up to the temple are lined with vendors selling flowers, trinkets, wooden jewellery boxes and postcards.
Bought a few postcards of the Chamundi Hills from 2 young boys. They followed us from the vehicle and we found it hard to resist the “little salesmen”

The 17th century Nandi Bull ( almost 5m tall) is carved from a single boulder and a truly wonderful sight to behold.

Mysore Palace – former residence of the Wodiyar Maharajas. We were fortunate to see the illumination of the palace
(resembles a fairyland) – on Sundays only between 7pm – 8pm.
The illumination is accompanied by classical music on the the tabla and sitar – absolutely magical.
Daughter took lots of beautiful photographs.

Final stop – Brindhaven Gardens. Saw the musical fountains and gardens at night. Very crowded with thousands of
visitors enjoying a Sunday evening picnic.

Slept in the vehicle on the way back to Bangalore having had an exhausting yet extremely eventful and exciting day.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:54 PM

Anom,

Are you going to post some pictures, too?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:16 PM

Hi anom:

Thanks so much for posting details for your trip. I am planning on visiting India during the hot summer months (June in fact) with my wife and 2 boys (15 and 7). We were looking for a tour organizer to do a Delhi-Agra Jaiput tour. I notice that you visited all these places. Can you give me your impressions about Compass and some contact info for them please.

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

India Trip report continued – January 2006
Bangalore …
8th January
Our hotel, being centrally situated enabled us to make short hops to the shops and countless eateries on MG Road. Restaurants serving south/north Indian cuisine as well as KFC, Pizza Hut, Chinese take aways, Italian pizzerias and French bistros predominate here.

Motor cycles and scooters are very popular and we frequently saw entire families on a single motorcycle ie. Dad,mum and 2 small children riding pillion.
Our driver Arun (from Compass tours) was also very skilful in negotiating the hectic roads and willingly stopped at shops and sights along the way.
The Kanchi Co sells beautiful silk sarees. We were entranced by the exquisitely designed sarees and made purchases for ourselves and family. The staff are very obliging and literally displayed their entire stock for us to peruse.
Kaveri Handicrafts and Jewellery (Hosur Road) – high quality crafts are sold here. Bought marble and sandstone figurines of deities Ganesha and Krishna here – beautifully handpainted in subtle colours and outlined in gold.
My daughter bought tasteful silk handbags and wall hangings. Lots to buy – a real shoppers delight.
We enjoyed the pavement pounding as there is so much to see and absorb. There seemed to be very few pavement traders except around the market area as they often sell knick-knacks and trinkets – my daughter loves these items.
People were very friendly and happy to assist with directions and information.
Next stop: Cochin(Kochi)
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi MSPsteelerfan

View Compass Tours at:
www.compasstoursandtravels.com
COMPASS INDIA INC - The Hospitality Managers
FIRST FLOOR, FLAT FOUR,
J - 1967, C R PARK,
NEW DELHI - 110019
FON: ++ 91 11 51602116 - 18
FAX: ++ 91 11 51602114

Compass are based in Delhi and are expert at the Golden Triangle tours.

My contact person was Varsha Gupta (assistant manager – tours). Mention my name - Mona

Another contact person at Compass is Durjay Sengupta (Craig – a regular Fordorite has had dealings with him and indicated that he is very helpful. Read Craig’s wonderful India trip report covering the places you intend visiting.

Varsha was extremely accommodating and helped streamline our travels in the most cost effective way.
Communicate your travel requirements to her or Durjay as you are travelling with young children.
Sightseeing is wonderful but when you travel with youngsters a bit of down time is needed too.
Fortunately, my 14 year old daughter enjoyed sightseeing but also loved bargain hunting at the markets and shops too.

As I have mentioned previously, 23 days and city stops in the North and South meant confirmed hotel bookings, guided sightseeing, meet and greet services and pre-arranged drivers ensured a hassle – free experience. Compass satisfied all our requirements.

If you have the time and inclination, independent travel ie. booking hotels on the internet (it could be more reasonable) or booking when you arrive in the cities of your choice and sightseeing on your own.are options you and your family could explore.

Happy travels
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi agtoau
Hope to download photographs soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -