Search

India - to go or not to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India - to go or not to go?

Greetings<

I have been pondering India for a while. I have an opportunity to go to India - The Golden Triangle - for 10 days for $2200 - everything included.

What are the thoughts of this short of a trip to India.

I've heard the Golden Triangle is a good place to visit for your first trip.

Thoughts, please..
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM

Is this your first trip to Asia? if so India is not a good choice- better try something a little more tourist friendly and with better tourist infrastructure- Singapore, Hing Kong, Bangkok.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM

The Golden triangle is a great place for a first visit, and 10 days will be okay. I'd try to tack on a few extra days in Delhi at the end though.

Is this a tour? What month will you be traveling?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM

my first trip was 11 days and it was fantastic...never pass up an opportunity...go!!!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM

I would say go for it!!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

...In response to some of the questions:
1) no this isn't my first trip to Asia - I spent two weeks in Thailand, and have been to China twice

2) Yes, this is a tour with my Chamber of Commerce - sort of a Business Delegation.

Another question for all of you...what unique items can be purchaed in India that I can't get at home in the US?

Thanks for all the input! I love this 'real time' opportunity!

I think I'll be putting down my deposit tonight!!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

...oops, one more thing, I'll be traveling in September of this year.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM

Tea, brass works, scarves, pashmina shawls, block printed fabrics, sandalwood carvings, inlaid marble pieces, silk, miniature paintings, stone carvings...lots of stuff to buy!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM

It's easy to be wowed by the ton of stuff available and then overbuy in India. The rupee/dollar exchange is not very favorable for Americans right now so that may dictate your purchases.

Important to look at the item for what is it (ie: quality of the workmanship, fabric, stitching, etc). If you wouldn't buy it here, probably don't buy it there.

In New Delhi, go to the Cottage Industries Emporium. It's a huge store of handicrafts from across India. It's not the cheapest place for price, but the quality control is generally good and it's a great timesaver when your itinerary is tight. The staff is plentiful and usually helpful. Plan to spend at least 2 hours there. Their prices are fixed - no negotiating.

Agra is known for its marble inlay and you can buy beautiful things there.

Check your items well when choosing and again before handing over the money! Most stores have a no return policy or maybe a store credit only policy. Rarely will you get your money back.

Ten days will be fine. A good trip never feels long enough though.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM

Take your oppurtunity, you won't regret it!
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:23 AM

I will just say, don't miss India!... I loved every bit of my 15 day trip.

Though the quote you got looks a bit expensive. I got my trip arranged through a local tour operator. You can check out their website www.vacationstoindia.com and ask for a quote, if you haven't booked yet that is. They were really professional and cheap!

HAve fun on your trip!
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM

I concur with the others who say that India will likely be too much for your first trip to Asia. It's a serious high dive plunge into the deep end.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Some Useful Tips

Visas:
Visa is compulsory to travel to india.

Healthcare:
Avoid drinking tap water and taking ice in drinks. Stick to bottled water ( or boiled / UV treated water available at the hotels ) and ensures that the seal is opened by you / in your presence. Aerated water ( bottled soft drinks ) are fine. Eat moderately for the first few days. Allow your system to get used to the changes. Yogurt ( Locally called “ Curd “ ) is advisable for weak constitutions or after a hot curry. Indian beer, gin and rum are fine. Your may not find some of the local whiskey very good . wine, if available , would generally be expensive. Check the price before ordering. Imported liquior is available but very expensive.

We recommend you to carry with you a small supply of basic health care medication such as a travel sickness tablets, anti-diarrhea tablets, insect repellent, sun creams and general purpose antibiotic. Although most of these items are available in India , the security provided by brands one is used to, reassuring. We strongly recommend that all travelers are properly insured for the holiday. If you have taken your own travel insurance, please check that it includes repatriation costs

Clothing:
During the day it is best to wear light , comfortable cottons with a pair of good ventilated walking shoes( Open-toed sandals let in dust and pebbles and conttons socks ). For the sightseeing session you may find a good pair of sunglasses and sun-hat handy. At some of the Monuments/ temples. mosques, It is advisable to avoid sleeveless tops and shorts skirts. Your may also be asked to remove your shoes: in such cases airline socks are useful.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM

Oh for heaven's sake. The Golden Triangle is prime tourist territory .. right up your street if all you want to do is buy stuff you can't get at home.

You could spend the same amount of money doing it yourself and get away from all that. But you seem to want it, so I'll leave you to the expert "been there for 10 days" brigade.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Just got back from my 11 day first trip to Asia - Mumbai/Pune & Agra. No problem - make sure you prepare for all vaccines & mosquitoes & bring pepto tablets. All hand-crafted items are great buys. Just because the rupee has appreciated does not mean these items are not a bargain. Hand-embroidery, hand-carving, handcrafted jewelry, custom made clothing,etc.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:39 PM

The name of Golden Triangle is generally given to the three destinations of Delhi-Agra-Jaipur with less than 250 kms from point to point. These cities of incredible India were the centers of glory and royal power. Today, Delhi has become a beloved tourist destination because of its possession of many forts, modern palaces, parliament and India Gate. Taj Mahal of Agra is one of the Seven Wonders of the World while Amber Fort of Jaipur has many excursions that mesmerize you!