Reload this Page >

India-to go or not?

Search

India-to go or not?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:41 AM
Terri

India-to go or not?

Can someone please fill me in- how difficult is India. Is pollution, poverty and filth as bad as you read on all the travel sites. Want to go but am having second thoughts

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:48 PM
Frances

Terri.The answer is yes but the point of travel is to go with an open mind.We've just returned from our fourth trip to India .On our first trip my daughter who was then nine was so horrified by the poverty that she wanted to be a doctor so she could help the people she saw. <BR>Seven years later she now has a place in medical school and starts her A levels in a few weeks.In her year off she will return to India to work in an orphanage. <BR>The point of telling you this is so that you will go,experience the most wonderful country imaginable and perhaps come back touched by the experience.You will never ever be sorry you went <BR>P.S.Jaipur was astonishing-That is, more so than other places!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:37 PM
kang

Yes, the answer is yes, and frankly, the shocks are likely bigger than you could have learned from the travel sites. <BR> <BR>As for your decision, it really depends on why you'd want to go in the first place. If you want to see one of the oldest civilizations and the sources for two of the greatest religions, then go. If you are seeking a relaxing vacation, then find somewhere else. <BR> <BR>My personal feelings? I couldn't come to terms with many things in India. I don't want to elaborate my thoughts here but the truth is that the country becomes an even bigger mystery to me AFTER my visit. The experience is interesting but certainly not always pleasant.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:15 PM
deepa

Being an Indian who has now lived outside of India for many years and a person who loves to travel, I can now compare India objectively to other travel destinations. It all depends on what you like. I disagree with the other poster that if you want a relaxing vacation, go elsewhere. Well, just book yourself at the Raj Vilas or the Ram Bagh Palace (one of the most luxuroius hotels in the world) just outside of Jaipur or the Lake Palace hotel in Udaipur and just stay there and get pampered. Eat great food, hire a car and do some GREAT shopping, see some great architectural wonders! If you really like to get into the interiors, yes poverty and pollution are an issue. But India is amazingly diverse and language is much less an issue than in many other countries.If you need more info, do not hestitate to contact me. Have fun, whatever you decide.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:28 AM
Kathy Winters

My husband and I spent four weeks in India Jan/Feb 1999. We wouldn't give up that experience for anything. It is a hard trip, a working "vacation." During pre-trip planning I discovered that travelling with Smartours for the first two weeks, which included airfare from New York, was a price that we would not be able to duplicate on our own. We had actually considered doing the entire trip independently but the tour price was remarkable. We visited the north and Nepal with the tour. We were able to change the ticket home to a later date for only $100 each. The second two weeks of the trip was spent in the South. This two week trip included three prearranged flights. We also took buses and trains and found the experience a wonderful connection to meet and speak with the Indian people. The poverty, pollution etc. in India is truly overwhelming. We found that travelling with the tour in the beginning allowed us to "get our feet wet." We were still apprehensive as we headed out on our own. Going to India was all my idea. As we were about to fly out of Delhi for our two week solo trip I said to my husband "what have WE gotten ourselves into?" And of course his reply was "What have YOU gotten us into?" I got us into a fabulous trip with many fond memories of the people, places and sites. We plan on returning within the next few years. Feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:49 AM
Penelope

The answer to your question, after more than thirty years of studying in, teaching in, and visiting around India, is yes, but India is the most fascinating place on earth. Go and see for yourself. P <BR>P.S. Traveling now is much easier than in "the old days," because of greater availability of good accommodations, safe water, and sanitary food. P

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Deepshika

Hi Terri, <BR>Like Deepa, I'm also an Indian who has been living in the U.S for several years. If you want to experience the essence of indian culture, you're gonna have to confront all the poverty and pollution. Even if you're looking to relax, there are places for that too. Some examples are the beautiful hill stations where the weather is also very pleasant. Some hill stations are Darjeeling and Ooty. Sikkim is also nice especially in the summer. The rest of the year, it's pretty cold. I highly recommend you to go for whatever reason. I guess i'm biased since i am an indian. I'm going back home myself in June since i was very young when i left. I do sincerely hope you go and guarantee that you'll have an unforgettable experience. <BR>deepshika

Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:45 PM
archana

Hi Terri, <BR>I live in India and would tell yu that yr worry about poverty, pollution and filth is right to some extent if yu compare it with other countries. But i would ask yu not to hesistate to come and experience the beauty of the place and the culture that yu will see. <BR>There are beautiful resorts/hotels that yu can stay in,yu can get yrself on one of the tours and enjoy the various states.If yu need any specific info do e-mail me.

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:22 PM
andre

hi traveller (or aspiring traveller !) <BR> <BR>My mother from France had taken me to India about 20 years back. I was overwhelmed then with the poverty , problems and the things we can't even imagine that could exist in our part of the world. However a part of me remained stuck to those images of india which were beautiful , spiritual and divine. I had in essence a longing inside me for the sights and sounds of India which I always wanted to go back to ... <BR> <BR>I recently came back from India after another experience and this time it is my children who are having the same experience .. things haven't changed my eitherway neither in India (with its sheer magic) nor with the genetical order of our genomes which get attracted to India inspite of its eternal problems. <BR> <BR>My advice to you traveller would be .. if you think of travelling " just go ahead and do it". You never know how great India is till you have traveled since you have actually been there ! <BR> <BR>1) Get yourself somebody very relaible to arrange your tour. Our Family has been using the same travel agent for over two decades. They are fammily friends and even stayed at our house in Paris. <BR> <BR>2) Have an idea of what intrests you ? Usually for the first timer it is the forts and the temples. <BR> <BR>3) Plan a comfertable tour for the first time.I can bet you will return again... <BR> <BR>contact me if I could be of any help with the tours and price estimates of the places we visited. <BR> <BR>India beckons ! <BR> <BR>[email protected]

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:59 AM
Stephen

One thing to keep in mind is the technology boom (of which India plays a significant role) that has greatly affected the country (in a positive way). Although, there is still poverty, pollution, and filth, India now can offer accomodations, dining, nightlife and adventure for a great vacation/travel experience.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 01:48 PM
John

Terri, <BR>Do not miss India if at all possible. Yes I will admit that the place is rough if you are an overly sensitive person. The hotels are the key go for the 4star at the miminum. The sights the history will overcome the certain unpleasantries that you will see. I will admit the poverty is extreme the pollution is bad but I can only again emphanize the positive, the people. the history, "THE TAJ MAHAL". by the way do not miss Nepal. We spent 3 weeks in India & Nepal and really enjoyed the country. John & Dale

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Traveller

You cannot even begin to understand India until you reach there- it is so wonderful. Yes, it has poverty and pollution but that would really depend on which areas you go to. This kind of areas are everywhere, even in the US. India is so diverse and rich in culture that whatever be the amount of time you spend there will be less. It is a "must-go" place. If this your first trip, go to Rajasthan. Stay at a 5-star hotel and take the 'Palace-on-wheels'. <BR> <BR>Once you land in Delhi, you will realise that it is not at all as bad as you have read. But of course you have to come with the mindset that you are going to one of the developing countries. All the best.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Marianne

As with everyone else..the answer is yes but the experience is worth it. I was very careful about the food and washing my hands...I took a pack of disinfectant handywipes,and carried small packages of kleenex I had a difficult time with the smog and dust pollution so I also recommend Visine for the eyes. the poverty is extreme but the people are incredible and you just have to go as the experience is absolutely incredible. Not one that is easy to explain.