India: Simla; Bundi and rail transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in India in mid March and wish to visit Simla. Has anyone here made this trip via the “toy train”? We are wondering about the availability of the train from Kalka to Simla, like how far in advance we need to book this journey or any other India train travel for that matter.

I have found very much useful information about India Rail from their web site, except that they don’t seem to commit themselves very far into the future and I am also finding that rail arrangements are a bit difficult (but not impossible) to make from The US.

Also, we are interested in Bundi, knowing that the nearest rail connection is at Kota.

Any information about Simla (also spelled Shimla); Bundi and/or India rail travel will be appreciated.

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Yes I've made this trip, it connected to the express from Delhi. Our reservation was made by the company we travelled with so I can't help with that.
The trip took 5 hours from Kalka with about 14 stops if I remember properly. It only covers about 40 miles.
Our return was by car and I think that was probably in response to people finding the return journey took too long. There were many people in Shimla who had come just for the train ride and were going straight back down the next day.
The toilets on the train were fairly grim and not to be experienced if you are already unwell.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 11:59 PM

Do you specifically want to go to Shinla? Else Darjeeling also has a toy train.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to Frances and hobbes.

Frances, do you remember how much time the return journey by car took? Did you like Shimla? What month of the year were you there? At what hotel did you stay in Shimla?

hobbes, although I would probably prefer to travel to Darjeeling, we will not be on that side of the country on this trip. However, I would like to hear about Darjeeling if you have been there.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM

The best hotel in Shimla is an Oberoi resort, Wildflower hall. They also have another heritage property, the Cecil, see both on their website, www.oberoihotel.com. In season Simla can be very crowded. If you are going you could also combine it with a trip to Chail, lovely palace hotel there. By car is about 8-9 hours, what might be better is train from Delhi to Chandigarh, then 3 hour drive. Travel time to Darjeeling almots the same, flight Delhi-Baghdogra, then 3 hours by road. One of my favourite hotels in the world is in Darjeeling, The Windamere.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:34 PM

Sorry, 8-9 hours from Delhi driving. Pl advise budget for hotels.