India: How to buy prescription drugs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts

I recall reading in some past trip reports that people could buy their prescription drugs at a much lower cost in India. Specifically, I'd like to buy Symbicort, which is an expensive asthma inhaler. How would I do this? If I bring a prescription from the US, would that work? Can I go to any pharmacy? Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first issue is whether your medication is available in India. If it is, it is likely an "equivalent" made by an Indian pharmaceutical company. Your US prescription is worthless in India. The medication might well be available over the counter in India, but if it requires a prescription, it would require a doctor's visit for you.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

I'm already getting my drugs from Canada…and they come from all over, including India. The latest equivalent, Vannair came from New Zealand. However, based on your post, I did a search for equivalents made in India and I found one available from a different CA online pharmacy for $49 instead of $155….Bingo! I'll just them them there. Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought some expensive pills in india... the pills I was taking in usa were indian in origin already.. I just took my bottle and a foil wrapper (each pill came in a wrapper) to a drug store in Guargoan. They did not have the drug. Next my driver took me to a pharmacy in deli at haus kaus mall, I believe and he asked how many I wanted. I bought a year's worth. The pills were identical.

They could care less about scripts..

I might have to think twice about an inhaler...
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Bob, it was probably your trip report that I recalled. I looked at the site again and found I could get 3 inhalers for $69……vs. $250 at US Walmart each…or $155 each at the other Canadian pharmacy I was using. It's truly amazing the discrepancy in drug prices. At that price, I won't bother looking in India.