India - Dogster

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India - Dogster

Can I get a condo for, say, a month in India and do day trips?
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Where are you thinking of basing yourself?
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM

not that you asked me
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 04:15 AM

Hey indiana, I've been off-line.Dunno, is yopur answer. India must have as many business travelers as anywhere whith the same short-term rental needs but I haven't explored that. There is certainly a culture of staying long term at hotels.

Actually, the creative way to do this is to explore historic homes & hotels, homestays. There are a number of places I've stayed that would be brilliant bases for lengthy stays. You get all the privacy you want, servants and great food.

I could spend a month in Kolkata, just doing day-trips within the city. I could spend a month at Ahilya Fort, gently exploring - dunno indiana. I could check in to Darbarargh Poshina in Gujarat, or Kali Niketan and stay for weeks. A condo hasn't figured in my thinking. I've never objected to a staf of ten looking after my every need - dunno about you. Service apartment, maybe...
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I looked at some vrbo.com listings, only about four for the whole country. We use vrbo when we spend the winter in Austin and have gotten some nice homes that we've rented for five-six weeks. We've also rented gites in Provence and apts. in Spain. I like to shop in the markets, then prepare what I've purchased. It's a great way to immerse myself in the culture.

I'm leaning towards the Kolkata-Bengal direction, but haven't done much research. Too many other things to juggle at the moment, but I like to think about matters before I jump in. I'll do some further checking.

Thanks!