Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

If Thailand is so great, why is it so cheap to travel there?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Randi

In my experience things that are really great are usually quite expensive. It is a case of supply and demand. If there is alot of demand there is limited supply. <BR> <BR>Have you noticed the number of posters that feel like Thailand is so great, but on the other hand the prices to Thailand from the USA are incredibly low considering it is 10,000 miles away. Northwest Vacations is offering a 5 day package for $499 including air and a nice hotel. <BR> <BR>It apears that maybe Thailand is not really that great so they have to offer really low prices to get people to go there.???

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Peta

Some of the cheapest flight and hotel deals I've ever seen to US are available at the moment. Is that because US isn't a very nice place to visit or because no-one wants to go there at the moment because of world events? As you said it's all a matter of supply and demand. Nobody is flying at the moment. Empty seats and beds mean no dollars for anyone, so both airline and hotel are pricing lower to get people moving about again. Also, hotel stays in Thailand are amongst the cheapest in the world because the local wages have no minimum. It is a beautiful place.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Andrea

I think it also may have to do with the fact that relatively few Americans travel, and of those that do, there are few who consider Asian destinations. Thailand is a fabulous place to go.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 03:58 PM
ToasterKing

I dont know about you but I think food at McDonalds is exceptionally great! And its not that expensive either. And the people who work there make as much money as a doctor in Thailand. Get it yet?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 04:26 PM
John

Your message is posted after September 11 - not many people are traveling - airfares are being reduced hotels dicounted. <BR> <BR>But Thailand's GDP, standard of living etc is much inferior to the States and other countries so it is cheaper. <BR> <BR>Should we make it more expensive just for the tourists ? Or just rip you off plain and simple. <BR> <BR>John <BR>www.SuiteAsia.com <BR>Travel Message Boards and Community <BR>Made in Asia for Asia

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 04:40 PM
qiu

To Randi, <BR>Thailand is cheap because of their currency devaluation (by half) in 1997.It is even cheaper now because of the fear of travelling post sep 11.If you ever go there, you'd know the meaning of "cheap and good". <BR> <BR>To Toaster King, <BR>A McDonalds worker in the US may make more than a Doctor in Thailand but he cannot afford to live as luxuriously in the US as the doctor can in Thailand. It is called Purchasing Power Parity. <BR> <BR>To Peta, <BR>Asian countries have no minimum wage because they want to attract US companies to use them to manufacture their goods and make tremendous profits. If they had min wages, your Nike shoes would cost $500. <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 05:04 PM
John

Very well said qiu. <BR> <BR>John <BR>www.SuiteAsia.com <BR>Travel Message Boards and Community <BR>Made in Asia for Asia

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Madame Joncquoy

Randi, you aren't very bright, are you?

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Florence

To add a totally different perspective to the original question: a few years ago you could (still can?) find a room in a 5* hotel in a very touristy African country for as little as $20/night, as part as a full 2 weeks safari package. It appeared that those hotels were part of a ring of money launderers, who would afterwards declare you had paid the full $250/night rate and put the difference with money from drugs or arms sales ... <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Randi

From NOT VERY BRIGHT RANDIL <BR> <BR>There are alot of third world places with low cost workers and a depressed economy that are very expensive to travel to: Examples: <BR> <BR>Russia, Middle East (Egypt, Jordan, etc), Argentina, Brazil, etc, etc, Hotel costs are still high in these poor countries,

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 05:54 PM
qiu

Randi,<BR>There are many factors why the countries you mentioned have high hotel rates despite a low cost of living.<BR>1) they have a different rate for tourists.<BR>2) there are not enough hotel rooms.Mumbai,despite its low cost, has one of the highest office rentals (higher than NY)in the world due to space shortage.<BR>3) some countries take adv of their locations as tourist havens and rip you off.<BR><BR>You just can't equate low cost to low class.If you come to Thailand you'd know what I mean.The Oriental Bangkok, is not voted Best Hotel in the World for no reason.Cost of a room US$150.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Tangata

Wrong! Thailand does have a minimum wage as do many SE Asian countries, I would suggest most.<BR><BR>I would also suggest that although the US has a posted minimum wage there are many people working for less, particularly on the mexican border.<BR><BR>Another thing about Thailand and SE Asia in general is that you are not expected to pay the staff salary with your tips!

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 08:07 PM
lynn

Is this a serious question?