I need some help!

Search

I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help!

I am planning a 3 12 week backpacking trip to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand -we are flying into Ho Chi min city and out of Bangkok we are leaving next Feb - I would like to see and do as much as possible on an average cost -I am adventurous and like having fun but very little partying as I am in my fifties but I have backpacked to Thailand with my 24 yr old son and had a lot of fun -can anyone suggest an itinerary I like hiking. or biking etc we are very active -- I went zipling in Thailand and loved it (not sure on spelling)
Any suggestions would be very helpful
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 06:41 PM

Is that a 3 1/2 week trip?

You want to cover 3 countries. Be aware that there is no way to see it all. You will have to choose the destinations in the three countries that interest you most. So pause and consider, what are the things most important for you to see/do/experience? Give us the top four or five things and we can be of more assistance.

Also, are you planning to fly or take buses and trains between destinations? Overland travel can be slow in these places.

Also, we have no way of knowing what "average cost" means to you. How much per night do you want to spend for lodging?

A little more info will enable us to help you.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Not everyone has the same travel budget. Knowing what you want to spend on hotels per night helps pin some things down. Average costs for some travelers may be $20 a night US for lodging and for other tourists their "average" budget might be $100 a night!

Research your visa requirements. Different countries different rules!

If you are flying long distance from N. America or Europe you might save money by buying round trip to Bangkok or HCM. Return to that arrival city even by air is not expensive in this area. Just do the math! From my country round trip is almost the same price as one way! From the US, for me, using 2 one way flights to and From Asia could cost $1000 more!

A fast Google check will give you some "what to see and do" information.

"...very little partying as I am in my fifties."

Do give up on life so soon! Even people older than you still like to party too!

Good luck.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 07:34 PM

In my experience the open jaw itinerary (not two - one way tickets) you describe should be very little (if any more) than a roundtrip.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 10:45 PM

Kathymaydo,
Not sure I can be much help but I have two tips:
1) Don't overlook the railways. We took the train in Vietnam from Hue to Hanoi, it's an affordable and efficient way to get around, highly recommended.
The "Man in Seat 61" can give you all the details, www.seat61.com.

2) If you decide to fly certain segments do look at whichbudget.com as there are lots of budget airline options in Asia.
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all who replied - I have narrowed down my trip we are flying in to ho chi min city staying there for a few nights then taking a boat up the river to phnom penn then up north in Cambodia any suggestions we can stay in Vietnam longer too as my 24 days in asia can only be Vietnam and Cambodia as we are flying out of Bangkok home I was thinking of flying from Cambodia to Chang mai staying there for 2 nights and see thiongs around there then head back to Bangkok on the over night train and heading down town fro 2 nights before our return home - my budget is about 100 per day per person -- any suggestion on things to do are appreciated