Reload this Page >

I need some advice on Japan.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Melissa

I have always wanted to go to Japan. I love so many Japanese ways, food and the courteous people. Finally, it's our 11th yr wedding anniversery and my husband has booked a 10 day trip flying into Tokyo. I want to shop, eat lots of sushi, relax and explore. Are we crazy for going now? With the world at war? Please help! <BR>Thank you in advance, <BR>Melissa

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Florence

Go! Japan is a safe destination. I just received a mail from someone who went 2 weeks ago and had the time of their life, saying how happy they didn't give in to the rampant paranoia. <BR><BR>Have lots of sushi, they give you energy for shopping and exploring, and have a very happy anniversary!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Hi

In Tokyo the developed metro and railroad network is pretty convenient to move from place to place. Eating "real" Japanese food; sushi, tempura, sukiyaki, shopping at Harajuku, Ginza, Shinjuku, watching Kabuki, night life at ethnic district Roppongi, exploring Imperial Palace in the center of the city, hanging around Ueno park, Senso temple in the east part of the city(old part of Tokyo), and trying the latest Japanese electric products at electric town Akihabara. <BR>If you are interested in traditional Japan, antient capital Kyoto is worth visiting. Most of the Japanese World Heritages such as principal temples and shirines are gathering. It's about 2.5 hours west from Tokyo on the fastest bullet train(Shinkan-sen).<BR>As for advice, Tokyo is a pretty busy and crowded city so avoide riding on the train during rush hour. Prices are about the same to America or maybe a little more expensive. And just in case, some travel Japanese language, Hello, Thank you, How much etc... would be useful. Japanese people do not speak a lot of English in every day life in general (No prob at hotels or tourist places). Happy travelling.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:43 PM
lcuy

My husband & I just went to Kyoto for 5 days last week. Had a wonderful time, and had no problems. definitely go!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 09:08 AM
lizabeth

If you have ten days, definitely spend a little time in Kyoto and, especially, Nara if seeing temples and antiquities is of interest to you.<BR>Try to get off the beaten track at least once. Get out into the countryside, travel on some local trains, and experience for yourself the kindness of the Japanese people and the safety of traveling in their country.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:20 PM
lcuy

Melissa- I forgot to mention a terrific guidebook to japan. It is called Gateway to Japan, and I think the main author is Kinoshita. I've used it on many trips over the years and never been let down. In addition to lots of touring, hotel, & restaraunt recommendations, it has many chapters on history, architecture, temples, castles, matsuri (festivals) and so on. Really a wonderful educational guide. Despite the price, I've updated to each new version, as I find it that useful!