I (HEART) HONG KONG

Jun 17th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

I (HEART) HONG KONG

Hi All --

Thanks for your Hong Kong advice. Just finished posting on my trip to Hong Kong in December. Loved it.

Hong Kong Trip Report: http://bit.ly/106Ni3g

Highlights: riding the Ngong Ping 360 cable car and Big Buddha, seeing Man Po Temple, riding the double-decker bus ride through Kowloon, eating at Bo Innovation, hiking Dragon's Back, walking around The Peak, climbing up to Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery (the best!) and Dialogue in the Dark (sightless experience).

- esme
Jun 18th, 2013, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the report. A few comments, though:

1. Good weather with relatively clean air in December.

2. I have some reservations about splitting your stay in 3 hotels. I'd suggest just sticking to one, rather than waste time switching over.

3. There are two types of taxi drivers in Hong Kong. Those who just try to make some money, driving around; and those who are really trying to make some money to support family, pay mortgage, etc. Your photo was of the 2nd type - that's the only way to actually make some semi-decent money.

4. I don't think you actually went to the Kowloon Walled City Park. It is not across the street from the Chi Lin Nunnery, but about a 20-minute walk. I believe you visited the Nan Lian Garden. Your picture of the golden pagoda is of the Nan Lian Garden.

5. Though I cannot agree, I find your preference of the 10,000 Buddha Monastery over Chi Lin Nunnery to be fascinating.

6. Never visiited Dialogue in the Dark, and after reading your review, am in hurry to visit it. I wonder how you even know about it.
Jun 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM

joining in to get some tips for our 3 day layover in HK in November.
Jun 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan: Thanks for the feedback

4) Sounds like I went to the Nan Lian Garden. If so, I did not mean to represent it.
5) I didn't find anything special about the Chi Lin Nunnery. What did I miss?
6) I found Dialogue in the Dark on Tripadvisor -- it's one of the top-rated recommended "things to do" for Hong Kong, and apparently they have sites in other major cities. Also, in addition to the tours you can dine in the dark or hold a birthday celebration there, entirely in the dark

annhig: Feel free to email me if you have specific questions. It may be my favorite city to date (although I'm pretty partial to Bangkok).
Jun 20th, 2013, 03:31 AM

While very new, the main hall of Chi Lin Nunnery is a wooden structure built in the Tang-Dynasty style, which is popular in Japan but almost extinct in China. And I highly enjoy its tranquility. Unlike most Buddhist monasteries in HK and China now, it is not crass and not commercial.

As for the Dialogue in the Dark, it may be very meaningful for the local youths, but I don't see why tourists should spend their precious time there. No wonder I never go to Tripadvisor for attractions. Only for hotels, and with a grain a salt.
Jun 20th, 2013, 06:34 AM

thanks, esme - i may well do that closer to our trip. At the moment I'm trying to get my head around NZ.