Hua Hin vs. Koh Samui

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Ruth

Hua Hin vs. Koh Samui

En route to Koh Samui next week. Have spent time in Bangkok and Hua Hin. Are there any similarities between HH & KS? Size-wise, are they similar? I'm wondering if 12 days will be too long to stay in KS. Any responses appreciated.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Pauline

Very different places. Koh Samui is much more tropical island 'picture post card' type of place but the main beaches at Chaeweng and Lamai very crowded and you may be surprised at somewhat rowdy nightlife there. More expensive than Bangkok or Hua Hin. Depends very much what you are looking for. Hua Hin suits us personally as we just like to relax and enjoy the peaceful evenings, and the golf (well my husband anyway! )

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 10:37 PM
marg

I can only comment on Hua Hin - we've been there twice. It struck me as more the place where the locals go for holidays more than the tourists. Nice beach, lots of good hotels, markets, places to eat etc. The royal family have a holiday house so what more can you say.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:05 PM
amber

Try Krabi nearby islands and beautiful beaches. Is the best time of the year to visit Adanman Sea vs monsoon season at Ko Samui located at southern Gulf of Thailand.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Monica

Ruth, my suggestion would be to do both. Hua Hin is close to Bangkok, you can fly in 30 minutes or taxi in just over 2 hours. There are 4 flights a week from Hua Hin to Koh Samui, takes about 55 minutes. So it's easy to do the 2, both have their own features. Samui is very much a tropical island, Hua Hin is more relaxed and popular with the Thais themselves. I'd say do them both.