How's my 7 day Yunnan Itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please comment on my 7 day Yunnan Itinerary. I don't want it to be too rushed. Is it too many places?
Is it enough time in each place? Should I take out Zhongdian(altitude issue)? This is part of a 3 week trip in October.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Oct. 18 Fly Hangzhou-Kunming-Dali (2 nts Dali)

Oct. 19 Tour Dali

Oct. 20 3hr. bus to Lijiang-Tour Old Town, Black Dragon Park (2 nts Lijiang)

Oct. 21 Jade Mt.

Oct. 22 Tiger Leaping Gorge o/n(not doing big hike)

Oct. 23 Qiatou Bus to Zhongdian (2 nts)

Oct. 24 Tour Monastery

Oct. 25 Fly Zhongdian-Kunming-Guilin
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:13 AM

That looks just fine - but remember to take a few warm clothes for when you get up high - the first real snow of the winter sometimes turns up about this time!!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Syl

I think you're the one I responded to on TA board (I suggested Impression Show on Jade Mt.) We're 3 couples in Lijiang on Oct.21st (touring Lijiang area),on the 22nd we're at Jade Mt.& sleeping that night in Lijiang again,on the 23rd on to First Bend,TLG (short hike but 2 of my party will leave us to do the big one)& on to Zhongdian later in the day,the 24th seeing the monastery & the 25th on 8:35 flight to Shanghai via Kunming.Where are you staying in Lijiang & Zhongdian?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Syl,

Looks like we have same schedule for Oct. 23 and Oct. 24. We are staying at Sanhe Hotel Lijiang near water wheel at entrance of Old Town. I am looking at Songtsam Hotel in Zhongdian. It looks really nice and can walk to monastery.

As for TLG, we are not backpacker types or really into hiking. Can walk for miles but do not like slippery or uphill. Going just for views(love photog.).Probably drive to Sean's or Tina's and do short hikes or maybe walk tarred road.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Syl

We're at the Minimal Lounge Boutique Hotel in the old town of Lijiang as well. If you'd like, we can meet for dinner, especially in Zhongdian, as we also are at the Songtsam.Private message me on TA with your co-ordinates.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Hi, Ducky2,

I stayed at the San He in Lijiang two years ago and I think you will be very happy with it. However, it's not right at the waterwheel but rather about a five-minute walk down one of the lanes radiating from the wheel. Taxis will let you off at the waterwheel and you will have to walk within the old city, so be sure you have a wheeled suitcase or strong arms! There are porters around with wagons if you need one for a small price.

The San He doesn't serve breakfast itself (or at least didn't when I was there), so they give you a coupon for a restaurant across the street. I made a big mistake in eating a sunny-side up fried egg and evidently it contained salmonella or some kind of bug, as I came down with a case of food poisoning later in the day. It's a good rule never to eat eggs that are not HARD cooked, whether they be fried or scrambled!

I also visited Zhongdian and the altitude definitely affected my breathing and endurance, but I personally don't think it should be enough for you to eliminate it from your trip. You should become a little acclimated by your time in Lijiang. Just take it easy and drink a LOT of water. You might also want to take some Diamox along, based on your doctor's recommendation.

K.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kudzu,

Thanks for all your great tips. Wasn't sure how far Sanhe was as I have no decent maps of Old Town. Did you go to Zhongdian all way from Lijiang in 1 day? We want to stop at TLG also - it seems like a long day. Did you take bus or car?