Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotels with roof top/ great pools Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trying to button down my itinerary for November as a (many) time visitor to Bangkok we are trying to decided whether to skip Hua Hin (as we have planned to fly there after being in Japan for 9 days) and go directly to Bangkok...

HH is our chill out time (4 days) before finishing up our holiday in BKK.
Anyway we may spend these additional day in BKK instead , so in able for us to spend a bit of time round by the pool and actually relax does anyone have any suggestions for hotels with great rooftop pools? (I should let you know our last 2 nights will be spent at The Peninsula by the river - so we have potentialy 6 nights in Bangkok - which is fine by me as I love the city)

I like the look of the St Regis (does anyone know what the pool area is like (can you sunbath or is it towered over by other buildings) i guess i would like to keep my budget (incl tax) to around £200 pn

All suggestions gratefully received.

thanks
S
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

I should add we have been to HH before (twice) and whislt we like it,we are not desperate to go back but i do like the Hyatt Regency club (which is where we plan to stay).
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:37 AM

I've only eaten here but I think they have a nice roof top pool.

http://www.okurabangkok.com/intro_okura/
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:39 AM

Here's a better link Nicky: http://www.okurabangkok.com/en/c/rec.../infinity_pool

The hotel is on the corner of Ploenchit and Wireless roads.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Oh I forgot about that place Pook, I remember considering it when I stayed at Hansar, I'll check it out. I also quite like the look of the Oriental Residence???
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Oriental Residence looks nice but I am not knowledgeable about the rooms at most hotels in Bangkok. The location is a bit of a let down as it's quite a hike to get to the BTS station or malls.

The Kempinski does have a huge pool, not rooftop though, and direct access to shops at the Paragon...
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pook, do you know what the Kempinski outside space is like ( I want to be able to "sunbathe" a bit...
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

OMG the Kempinski looks GORGEOUS!!!!!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Nicky go for the "Cabana" room or the "Terrace" suite if you choose the Kempinski. The club lounge there is nice and that is where I hang out when I take the family to the Paragon mall.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 04:32 PM

Centre Point at Terminal 21 has a nice pool area. Not necessarily on the rooftop, but it is an upper floor and not ground level. There are two pools and plenty of loungers.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 06:37 PM

the st regis pool is very nice, but you have decided to stay at the Penn
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Bob, we are thinking of splitting the time. Did you read what i posted SO the 2 nights at the end of our trip remain the same we will stay at the Pen, but we may skip HH and stay the other 4 nighst IN town in Bangkok... still undecided what to do and was looking to see what the choices would be if we chose to do this.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

Pook, i really need to reign my budget in , i will have spent the last 9 days in Japan.. so Cabana or Terrace rooms are out. Did look at the Exec Suite but David doesnt like the location of the poll so its out i'm afraid... (i may stay there next year when i go to see Kerry)
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 02:07 AM

Hi,

You could check these hotels which have quite awesome pools:
-the Continent Hotel
-Chatrium Riverside
-Sofitel SO (Sathorn)
-Eastin (Sathorn)
-Siam@siam
-Treehouse: no rooftop pool, but its definitely a unique place and can be nice for your children too.
-Aloft (Soi 11)

The last 3 hotels are quite nice as they are less "standardized" hotels, so a more intimate atmosphere i feel..
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Clovish, i will check them out,although not sure where have got i have children (unless you are refering to my fiance and my friend Bob?
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Warm greetings again Nicky and ongoing congratulations on return to beloved Bangkok. Should you find time to spend a few days in our fine home of Singapore, all the better.

Concerning pools, will continue to give the highest praise to my current Bangkok business travel property, the Four Seasons, and some wondrous friends and staff at that sentimental place. Had the honour of initially staying with her for work/pleasure when she was called The Regent. She's aging rather well.

Mind you, the FS pool is most certainly not 'roof-top', but for my purposes - swimming laps at dawn - she's perfect.

Regarding the St. Regis, had the privilege of some business stays during her earliest days, when some particularly attractive corporate rates were being offered. I remain partial to the Four Seasons, but am confident you would enjoy the St. Regis and her pool. I never quite got around to posting a review of her on my profile page, but should a return business stay arise, will do so.

The next two suggestions could very well be budget busters, as will give the forever highest praise to The Siam and the Mandarin Oriental. My reviews only hint at the warmth and graciousness (particularly The Siam; riverside serenity, indeed).

All for now, as have an early flight tomorrow. Savour your planning, Nicky; very happy for you. (And, are you still on for staying at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo? If so, well done; love that perfect business - and pleasure - property.) As always, should you ever desire suggestions concerning 'our' Singapore Airlines, pleased to assist. Early and warm weekend wishes to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 06:06 AM

there is a brand new Hilton at soi 24 sukhumvit with a roof top pool..

recheck the st regis--a very lovely pool and you can look down and see pook playing golf at the royal sports club
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 06:24 AM

I often shank my shot toward the St Regis. Perhaps that is why they don't allow me in there!
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Robert, thank you for the suggestions. We have stayed at the 4 S and yes it's a fine property. The Siam and MO are out of my price range for now... I am spending most of the budget on the Park Hyatt Tokyo and the Ryokan in Hakone
Return to Singapore next year to see my pal.. Love it there too! ( vist number 11!)

I think if we do decide to forgo HH, then maybe the the StvRegis swings it for me, D's not so sure but then he ain't booking it .......... I will check out the Hilton and So Sofitel too though......

Pook, if we go to HH maybe you and D can have a game of golf( if you are there)I can amuse myself in the spa!!!!
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Definitely Nicky but your D will have to give me some strokes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -