How much dinners will cost in Myanmar

Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much dinners will cost in Myanmar

I am trying to find out how much cash I need tro take with me to Myanmar for our 11 nights stay.
We are staying in Strand, Aureum Palace in Bagan and Pyin Oo Lwin, Princess in Kyaing Tong, and Pristine in Inle.
We don't want to eat in the hotels if there is a good local restaurant available-I have done my research but any suggestions will be appreciated.
We love to drink red wine with our dinner and lunch. How expensive or how available is red wine in these places?
How many bottles of wine can we take to the country?
Thank you
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM

For Bagan I would eat at the Aureum only since it's a bit far from the town itself. Hotel food is expensive when compare to the local food establishment. For Yangon we ate out for dinner and the most expensive meal was at La Planteur, around $50 - 60 a person. One night we just ate street food around "China town" and it cost us only around $20 for the 3 of us. Inle for dinner you are highly advise to eat at the hotel. Going out on the lake at night is dangerous!
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM

As Hanuman says, you will likely eat mostly at your hotel. Hotel restaurant prices are comperable to US prices. All restaurants (in or out of hotels) are oriented to tourists.

In Yangon there are a few restuarants you can try, we ate at Monsoon which has gotten good reviews and thought it was mediocre. It was probably US$35 for lunch for two, which I thought was quite high for the quality of the food. We had good meals at the Strand. We opted for room service and had reasonably priced dinners, probably $25-30 per person. The Grill at the Strand is very expensive, easily $50-75 per person. In Yangon, I'd recommend getting a lunch or dinner at the Governor's Residence, both for the food and the ambiance. Food at our hotels in Bagan and Inle was more reasonably priced and was good both palces (Inle Lake View and Hotel at Tharabar Gate).

If you feel comfortable eating street food, you can eat cheaply in Yangon, as per Hanuman's comments.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Remember, too, that there is a duty free shop in the Yangon airport arrivals hall so you can stock up on liquor there if you do not bring it in. I would not count on any of the restaurants, except perhaps at the Strand and GR, having decent wine lists.

Sabai Sabai in Yangon has good (but not Bangkok-good) Thai food; I paid the equivalent of US$13 for dinner (no wine) but had one of the most expensive items on the menu, the prawns. It is in the area of the Shwe Dagon Paya; taxi drivers will know it.

Please lower your expectations for restaurant food in Myanmar. That way you will not be disappointed.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:53 PM

We ate at Monsoon in Yangon and thought it reasonable for lunch- about $12 for 2 of us. We drank mainly bottled water so I don't know if that makes it cheaper. (Actually we love a Burmese Restaurant in San Francisco called Burma Star); Monsoon is somewhat similar though the food is better in SF. Otherwise, we stayed at the Kandawgi Hotel in Yangon near the Shwedagon Paya and had the Thai cooks there make up our meals to order (less spice.) The kitchen was quite accommodating and reasonable for hotel food. I suspect you could get the Strand cooks to also amend meals to your liking.
Advice for street food: do you know about taking Pepto Bismol tablets before meals??? I work with several pharmacists- the scientific principal is that the bismuth coats the stomach and prevents some of the enteric pathogens from entering, hence less likely to develop traveler's diarrhea.
If you are coming from Bangkok or Singapore, the Duty Free shops have quite a selection of wines.