COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

How much cash?

Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

How much cash?

I've done lots of research and think I understand that uncreased $100 bills get the best rates and that ATMs are available but have fees. Also, have learned that tipping with single USDs is appreciated.

But, how does one ever decide how much cash to bring for lunches etc? Our agent has been paid and breakfast and transportation/tours are covered.

What do you suggest?
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 07:39 PM

Actually, tipping is best done in the local currency.

Do you really have no other anticipated expenses other than lunches? Dinners? What about admission fees to sites? Are those prepaid to your agent? Do you plan to hire a boatman at Inle? A horsecart at Bagan? Are your airport transfers covered? What kind of shopping might attract you?

Because I live in the US, I figure generously, as I can just take my extra US dollars home and spend them. If you come from another country, it costs you in exchange fees to take extra US$100 bills along.
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 07:20 AM

Bring more money than you think you need. Make sure the bills are pristine. I carried my cash in a pencil box so it wouldn't wrinkle.

And like Kathie said, be generous. The people are so lovely and need every tip they can get.
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM

You don't give such details as the length of your trip or whether you are traveling as backpackers or more luxuriously, which are important factors in how much American cash to carry. Nonetheless, I recommend carrying a superabundance of cash in pristine form in several denominations. I have had several experiences, the most recent in northern Burma in 2014, in which an unexpected medical problem required cash on the spot. The money left over you can always take home. ZZ
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I'm taking more cash than I think I need. The pencil box is a great idea!