How far is Sunar from ubud ?

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far is Sunar from ubud ?

We will be 4 adults and 3 kids ( 7,4 and 2 years old ) visiting Bali in August. Can we stay in the Hyatt and still visit Ubud or do we need to stay few days at the Hyatt and then a few days at the 4 seasons ?

TIA
Rea
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM

It's about an hour or so by car. Personally, I'd stay some days in Ubud or surrounding villages...I like it much better than Sanur.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM

You can certainly visit Ubud from Sanur. I've done it many times. It's perhaps an hour away. It just depends on whether you want to stay some time in Ubud. And, of course, there are many other lovely places to stay in/near Ubud besides the Four Seasons.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Sanur and Ubud are not a very far drive apart, as a straight drive less than an hour. However, IMO to really appreciate Ubud, you need to stay a few days. You will not really “get” the area, IMO, if you do a day trip. You will see a crowded and somewhat heavily commercialized village center, with many touts to be honest, and you most likely will not get to spend time in the beautiful outlying areas of rice paddies and smaller villages with artisans. You can walk and bike and white water raft and see temple dances and local artists. This is really the heartland of the Balinese culture, and IMO on a day trip you won’t see it. The village is much quieter at night as well (the day trippers leave), and you may enjoy the village more, there are many good restaurants and several evening dance troupes including one at the palace.

The Four Seasons outside Ubud is very nice, but with a 2 year old I would have some concerns due to its architectural set up, the lobby has sheer drop offs and no railings as do some of the villa units (I believe they don’t recco it for toddlers, check their website). There are many other fine hotels in the Ubud area however, you would be spoiled for choice IMO. Try the Amandari, just as lovely, maybe even more so. But there are many others, run a search here for suggestions, or I am sure others will post reccos.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM

its about 40 minutes by car
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Agree with KimJapan and Kathie - Ubud is a great place to spend a few days, and you can do day trips from there to other parts of the island if you like. Definitely take in at least one music/dance performance - we particularly enjoyed the Kecak Dance performance at Jungjungan village, just out of Ubud. You can book tickets including transport at the tourist information centre on Jalan Raya Ubud, justa round te corner form the top of Jl. Monkey Forest.

We stayed a few days at Sanur too, and had no complaints. We liked the easy access to both the beach and main shopping street, something we missed when we moved to Seminyak at the end of our trip and had to rely on the resort shuttle to get into town (Legian, that is). Ubud's touts are mainly offering transport and they take rejection with good grace - Legian's are much more persistent. I can only guess at what neighbouring Kuta must be like. Overall the Balinese are the nicest people we've encountered anywhere, but even so the ugly face of tourism is getting to them in places like that.