Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How do I say "I can not eat wheat /gluten" in Japanese?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second question... My companion is allergic to wheat / gluten and can have an unpleasant reaction if exposed to it (at least she's looking forward to soba noodles!).

Does anyone know the japanese phrase "I can not eat wheat / gluten"? (phoenetic spelling please!)

Many thanks.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 02:05 AM

watashi wa komugi allerugi desu, soshite, fu mo taberaremasen.

It translates as "I wheat allergy am and gluten also I cannot eat."
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks "KimJapan"!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM

You might want a card printed with that sentense in Japanese.

I don't have the URL, but I know there is a website that gives food allergy phrases in many languages for you to print and carry with you.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 06:46 AM

I'm sure your companion is aware, but wheat is the #2 ingredient in soy sauce. Not easy to eat gluten-free in Japan.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM

I am Japanese. Kim's version can be good but be careful. If rouatt (an American ?) reads it aloud to a Japanese, he/she may not understand it right away. The way you would read/pronouce it can be quite different from what he/she is used to hear. Also I would use the word guluten (Gluten) rather than a particular Japanese food product "fu" made of gluten.

Is it serious with your friend? If so I would not take a chance. Katie's suggestion to prepare a card printed is the best one I think. Let me try to post below the phrases in Japanese. Will it be shown correctly ?

Ž„‚ͬ”žEƒOƒ‹ƒeƒ“@ƒAƒŒƒ‹ƒM[‚Å‚·B
â‘ÎH‚ׂç‚ê‚Ü‚¹‚&nt ilde;B
ŠÔˆá‚Á‚ÄH‚ׂé‚&AE lig;•a‹C‚É‚È‚è‚Ü‚·B

Phonetic:
Watashiwa komugi-guruten arerugi desu.
Zettai taberare masen.
Machigatte teberuto byoiki ni narimasu.

Above literally means :
I am allergic to wheat/gluten. I absolutely must not eat it. If I eat it by mistake, I will get sick.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM

No it does not work! I think somebody once posted japanese or Chinese characters here succesfully. I wonder how he did it.

I will try another way later.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Ok here ysou are. Can this of use to you ?

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...nt=gluten1.jpg
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 08:50 AM

That's cool Kappa!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM

rouatt, I have a gluten intolerance and found it very difficult to avoid gluten in Japan but the country is so wonderful that it was worth the effort. As Katesy said, Japanese soya sauce, the most popular being Kikoman, contains wheat. I took a small bottle of gluten free tamari from home. Also, although buckwheat is gluten free, most buckwheat noodles in Japan are made from a combination of wheat and buckwheat flours. Darn!

It is better to have the gluten free restriction in writing as most Japanese understand written English better than spoken and any attempts at Japanese can be confusing if you pronounce words at all incorrecttly.

The celiac travel website offers good tips for travelling plus cards in most languages. Print lots to take along. http://celiactravel.com/

Department stores are a good possibility as there are usually a variety of restaurants on one of the upper floors and a basement level fancy grocery store to find picnic items. Shabu shabu is a great choice if available as you individually cook beef and vegetables in water and then drink the broth. Carry along tamari comes in very handy here for dipping the meat and veggies.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I asked two Japanese friends about celiac and gluten...they did not know celiac, and they did not know gluten...gluten they knew after I said "fu." The "official" translation of gluten is "fushitsu"...but it's not commonly used. "fu" is universally known, but I'm afriad almost no one will know "guruten".

Soy sauce is a thing to avoid, as is any other sauce like tonkatsu sauce, yakitori sauce, okonomiyaki sauce. Curry is made with wheat flour as a thickener, as are all stews. Even soba noodles may have wheat flour mixed into them...be careful about that.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys.... really appreciate the advice.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM

> they did not know celiac, and they did not know gluten.

Yes, that's the problem. Average Japanese you encounter might not know what they are. Especially "celiac" I did not know what it is. But "gluten" (I wrote "guruten" phonetically as the Japanese do" ) would be much more familiar to them than "celiac" . If they don't see what it is exactly, many would imagine that has something to do with wheat flour (komugi-ko). And more people in food/restaurant industry should be conscious of the term, than others. Neverthless, that's your health we are talking about so no need to take a chance. That's why I added the line " if I eat eat, I would get sick". With this those who read the japanese translation take it more seriuosly than just the line " I cannot eat it". In that sense, the card on the site given by moolyn above is good too. It explains well and make clear that the person concerned will get sick.

Fu = universally known. Agree but it's not Fu = gluten. I may be being too precise but again we are talking about someone's health.