Hotels in Singapore

Sep 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in Singapore

We are spending a few days in Singapore before going to Cambodia next summer...never been there before. We are using frequent flyer miles for NRT - SIN, then money for flight into either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh and then to BKK somehow, then fly BKK - NRT home.

I'd love hotel recommendations...with swimming pool and not breaking the bank. Besides not having been to Singapore before, the prices of flights SIN - Cambodia are less than BKK - REP on Bangkok Air so it is attractive in that respect, but not if we spend buckets of money on the hotel there.
Sep 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Kim, we budget around SGD 130-150 for Singapore and have managed to stay well, recent ones have been Crowne Prince ( I think it's now just the Crowne ) and the Royal Plaza on Scotts, Singapore has such a large choice of places, Royal on Scotts is easy for the SMRT and close to Orchard Road, Crowne is up Orchard but also very convenient, others might suggest other areas, but SGD 130-150 gets you a nice place.

Are you planning on Silk Air to REP ?
Sep 6th, 2006, 06:10 AM

SIN-BKK is highly competative, you have the budget carriers plus SQ and Thai always discounting on the route, also lots of other carriers, bottom line, it's a cheap route to fly!
Sep 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Raffles the Plaza has had special prices lately as they are in the process of re-doing all of their rooms. I can't think of a better location! Guenmai had some comments about it in her recent Bangkok report.

The Hyatt has a really fabulous pool area, and they are near the intersection of Scotts Road and Orchard Road, another good location.
Sep 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM
tod

KimJapan - We have stayed at The Royal Crowne Plaza (Holiday Inn) on Scotts Road many times. It's beautiful but not a skyscraper like some of the hotels near Marina Bay.
It's owned by the Sultan of Brunei and no pork products are used - not even bacon at breakfast but a good subsitute made with chicken (macon?) Maybe the hotel has changed ownership since we were last there in 1999.
We then spend a few days at the Shangri-la Rasa Sentosa which is just gorgeous!
I love the white sandy (man-made)beach!
Singapore is my second favourite city in the world - Paris is 1st!
Sep 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

We are looking forward to a few days in SIN. We are planning on using JetStar into Cambodia, and if the price isn't good enough we can use miles for the tickets on them...which we may do if the price isn't as low next summer as it is now.

Sep 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM

The Harbor View rooms at the Ritz Carlton are hard to beat. Excellent pool and the bathrooms are amazing!
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM

I've seen the harbor view rooms at the Ritz and they are indeed beautiful...but you can get a harbor view at the Raffles Plaza for a lot less. I just had one there last Saturday. Get one in the newly renovated north wing. Happy Travels!
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM

JamesA:
i'm also interested in rooms up to 100$ (2 adults, 2 small kids),
i've looked at Royal Plaza on Scotts as you suggested for 16-19 oct, and the price is 300SGD !

any other suggestions for nice hotels near orchard and the MTR ?
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM

If you don't mind waiting until about 20 days before you go there are some very good deals on Ratestogo, Holiday Inn Atrium beginning October is USD 100 / SGD 150 and kids stay free(!), not so great for Orchard Road but you can pick up tome good deals, another plus with them is you only pay i think 10 or 12% deposit and then the rest you pay at the hotel, so if you don't mind waiting you can probably pick up a bargain, try www.asiaoz.com and go to Rates to Go for last minute, but remember is only any use within 20 days, but we have picked up some bargains regionaly that way.
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM

The Royal on Scotts has gotten expensive lately, but so have most of Singapore's hotels, which have seen great business this year. Some of my favorites are the Carlton, Rendezvous and Grand Plaza. They're nothing fancy, but nice hotels in good locations.

I just got back from Singapore on Saturday. Due to the hotel crunch I ended up at the Furama City Center in Chinatown. My room had a fantastic view of the river area and all the way to the Esplanade. The hotel was okay, but not great. It does have a very nice staff and is in a very good location.
Sep 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM

my bangkok travel agent suggests the Holiday inn - parkview for 220 (singapore $) including ABF.
we are 2 adults and 2 kids, and i know that holiday inn had a tradition of free kids...
they also have rooms with 2 doubles !

i know that the location is good, but i didnt find a clue if it is also close to the MRT ? anyone ?

Sep 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Park View...on my first trip to Singapore years ago... and it's not that far from the MRT. The side street "Cuppage" to the hotel is one short block long and then dumps out into Orchard Rd. I'm just curious why you want to stay near Orchard Rd. I don't understand the attraction. I vacation in Singapore annually and couldn't imagine staying in the heart of Orchard Rd. There are so many better locations...like the Raffles Plaza or the Fullerton...or the Novatel at Clarkes Quay...and they are all near...or right at...the MRT stations in MUCH more interesting areas than Orchard Rd. Happy Travels!
Sep 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

It seems like it's possible to get a lot more hotel for not so much more money. While I could find plenty of places for S$100 or so, none of them seemed particularly inviting or special...some even do not allow children. For S$200 or so, you can get a pool, but not such a nice one, and the rooms still tend to be on the very small side and uninspired. S$300 seems to be the magic number...for that you can get just about anywhere.

In the end, I was able to book the Four Seasons directly at a very good weekend rate of S$295.00 per night deluxe room with breakfast included for all 3 of us and an extra bed. There is no deposit, cancel up to day before arrival, so if an even better rate comes up (or by some miracle the Valley Wing at the Sha-La is available for S$300) I can change with ease, and the reservations agent actually told me to keep an eye on the rates as there are many summer specials.

The Regent has a weekend rate of S$208 which is less than US $150.00, and they also have extra beds free of charge. The Raffles Plaza was not nearly as friendly on the telephone as the Four Seasons, so we went with the FS, understanding that the onsite restaurants are only 2...that doesn't matter to us as one of our goals in Singapore is to eat our way around the city.

The Shangri-la looks lovely, but I can't get past wanting to stay in the Valley Wing, which is priced so far out of our range it isn't even possible for one night really. I think I would just be disappointed there with any other room.

I did look at a number of other places, and the following places may interest may_east.

http://www.royalpeacockhotel.com/index.htm
http://www.tristarinn.com.sg/room.htm
http://www.galleryhotel.com.sg/
http://www.yorkhotel.com.sg/home.html
http://www.shangri-la.com/singapore/.../en/index.aspx
http://www.theelizabeth.com.sg/index...OKEN=43492731#
http://www.orchardparade.com.sg/inde...561F7FD3084DE7
http://www.hotel1929.com/
http://beachhotel-singapore.com/ppc/...beach.php#faqs

Sep 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Like to make some recommendations as I am from SIN...May_east, what's your budget? Hope I am not too late to help...

Basically if u enjoy shopping a lot, I recommend Orchard Rd hotels:

1) Meritus Mandarin S$265, Marriot hotel, S$292(VERY near Orchard MRT, right in the middle of all shopping action)
2) Hilton & Holiday Inn are pretty old but close to MRT, Holiday Inn is not at Orchard but Somerset MRT
3)Shangrila is really good but need to walk or take cab to destinations if u dont mind.
4) Not so expensive Crown at Orchard S$197 and Royal Plaza on Scotts are also at great location!

I do not know your itenary, to recommend near them but alternative areas are indeed more interesting and centrally located to other places of interest.

Chinatown area is interesting, depends on taste

Marina area: The Fullerton S$348, Conrad Centennial S$315, Marina Mandarin S$260, Swissotel StamfordS$231(if u love height) are never wrong choices!

Other areas: Hotel Intercontinental S$265 (Bugis MRT), Merchant Court, etc

All above are the usual suspects. If you are just looking for a good place to sleep without elaborate pool area and dont mind the room not big, i can recommend a few new boutique hotels which have interesting themes:

1) New Majestic Hotel (artistically done)
2) Gallery Hotel (less than S$200)
3) Hotel 1929 (designer chairs - but small room so book at least Deluxe rooms)
4) Scarlet Hotel (Romantic themes)

Enjoy!

Sep 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM

thanks for the reply...you're not too late...

the dates are 16-19 oct. 3 nights.
the reason i was looking at the holiday inn PARKVIEW (should be 2 minutes from orchard, and 10 min from MRT) because they have rooms with 2 double bed (as we are 2 adults and 2 kids (4,8))

I'm so confused. i wrote it on another thread where i've introduced my itinerary to thailand.
i don't know if i should go to SIN or just use the 3 nights in thailand (1 more day phuket, 1 more day krabi and one more day bkk).

I've just talked with my wife and we'll just can't get a decision.

there are 2 factors:
1. do we stress out too much ?
adding 2 more flights to already 3 flights in Thailand ?
2. price: tigeraiways just raised the prices on my dates. so a total for 4 persons will be 700USD just for flights.

confused...
Sep 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM

may, I've said this before, but I guess I'll repeat myself. I think you will all be much happier if you slow down and don't try to visit so many places. Especially with kids, they are not going to like so many flights in so little time. Save Singapore for next trip. And, there is no question that you'll save plenty of mony by cutting out Singapore this trip.
Sep 15th, 2006, 05:53 PM

"The Shangri-la looks lovely, but I can't get past wanting to stay in the Valley Wing"

Kim, I'm glad that things worked out with the Four Seasons which as you know is my hotel of choice, but I'm just curious why you were so taken by the Valley Wing of the Shang.

I found it to be the completely off-putting. Better than the Tower, for sure, but no where near as user friendly as the Garden Wing.

As I said, I'm not meaning to be argumentative as I think you'll all enjoy the FS, just wondering. . .
Sep 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM

I agree with Kathie, we like Singapore and a couple of Christmas' ago went as a family to see the lights etc, but if you are in the Phuket area unless you have a real reason I would just extend or visit somewhere else nearby, my personal humble opinion is that the kids will prefer splashing around the pool in Phuket than heading off to Singapore for a couple of days, you have check out, transport to airport, check in etc etc, flight, same other end, then all over again a couple of days later!

I think your ideas simply to add 1 day extra to those places is the easy and simple solution, also cheaper !
Sep 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Hi all, generally hotels in singapore are quite nice, really depends on taste. For Tiger airways, the prices increases nearing departure date, u might want to book early if you would want to fly by Tiger.

I agree that travelling should not be too stressful. Depends on what your family like, Singapore is a cosmopolitan city, things are a bit more pricey so u might want to skip SIN. I agree with JamesA that u could spend more time in Phuket or krabi, visit Phi Phi Island which is so beautiful, spend more time in Bangkok for shopping!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO